: What American City is most famous for cakes made of blue crabs?

agp
12-06-10, 03:46 AM
What American City is most famous for cakes made of blue crabs? Anyone know?

Jesda
12-06-10, 05:56 AM
I'd be surprised if it wasn't Baltimore.

Submariner409
12-06-10, 10:24 AM
Crab cakes around the Chesapeake Bay are like pasta sauces in Italy: They're all good and they're all different, depending on the locale.

Baltimore, Annapolis, Solomon's Island, Deltaville, Norfolk, Cape Charles, Crisfield, Smith Island, Hooper's Island, Cambridge, Suicide Bridge, St. Michael's, Kent Narrows, Rock Hall, Georgetown, Chesapeake City, Havre de Grace and Bowley's Quarter - a quick counterclockwise trip around the Bay and every city has to-die-for crab cakes.

Of course they're seasonal - the blue crabs are burying themselves in the bay mud until April or so, and right now the oyster reigns supreme in the Bay. (Blue crab comes from all up and down the East/Gulf coasts, but the Bay crab is recognized as the tastiest............:sneaky: ) People in Louisiana and Texas make fortunes shipping crabs to Maryland in winter. An extremely lucrative business.

I'll bet ol' mackpappy and I could debate the merits of Bawlmer and Kint Oiland crab cakes for days..................a good Marylander can tell you where the crabs came from, who steamed them, what kind of seasoning was used, and if the crabs are fresh served or "reheats" (that's like reheated bacon, Jesda.......)

Lord Cadillac
12-07-10, 01:34 PM
Baltimore, Maryland is my guess as well..

orconn
12-07-10, 02:33 PM
For those that don't know, crab and crab cakes are an obsession in the states bordering the Chesapeake Bay. Blue crab are popular up and down the East Coast but when it comes to Maryland and Tide Water Virginia the eating of crab is not only a pleasant dining experience, but a fanatically religious experience to the inhabitants of these regions. In addition to many local mom and pop restaurants serving up steamed blue crab in many forms, there are firehouse crab bakes, and a myriad of other fund raising efforts centering on the eating of crab. There are probably more people involved in eating of fresh cooked Blue Crab dishes, by far, than eat New England's lobster on an annual basis. Tide land folks claim that their regional crab specialties are the best in the world.

All that being said, I agree blue crab steamed with a good spice mixture is a wonderful meal. Crab cakes on the other hand I find to be much ado about nothing; the best ones are good, many are just plain boring. However, when it comes to steamed crab I believe the West Coast rock crab from the Central Coast of California to be the best crab I have eaten anywhere (and I have eaten a lot of fresh Hokkaido Crab, same as Alaskan King Crab). Steamed with Chesapeake Bay style spices and eaten "Crab Bake style" ( newspaper, crab crackers and hammer, with lemon and melted butter) they can't be beat. Unfortunately this crab is not available in restaurants or even regular fish markets, but only in fish markets catering to Mexican clientèle. I don't know what the supply of this crab is like (it is relatively cheap when you find it) but it can be easily found in fishing port towns along the California coast.

If you are ever in the Chesapeake Bay are don't miss this regional treat, which doesn't really travel well and cannot be duplicated outside the region. As far a "the" restaurants and specific crab shacks which serve the best of this delicacy, I am sure Sub is the authority among us!

Submariner409
12-07-10, 04:38 PM
If someone wants to try real Chesapeake Bay blue crab cakes and cream of crab soup done right, find the online site for The Narrows Restaurant in Grasonville, MD. They pack and ship their own crabcakes and soup worldwide. It is NOT inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination, but the food is to die for.

and, for those who like fresh artichokes and garlic, find Pezzini Farms in Castroville, CA. - 2 day FedEx, not cheap. It was all picked the day you order.........

Gristle Boy
12-08-10, 04:55 PM
Canadian from the other coast wants to invite flaming :hide: & guess Atlantic City (assuming this is some kinda trivia thing):hmm:

Submariner409
12-08-10, 04:57 PM
Canadian from the other coast wants to invite flaming :hide: & guess Atlantic City (assuming this is some kinda trivia thing):hmm:

Atlantic City, NJ and Ocean City, MD are famous for salt water taffy, not blue crabs.

Gristle Boy
12-08-10, 05:41 PM
:banghead: :aj:

hueterm
12-08-10, 09:41 PM
I don't know...but I ordered these from some place in NJ, and they are PHENOMENAL.....!

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/hueterm/2010-12-08193504.jpg

The lump crab isn't broken up, the outside breading is crunchy after baking, and the inside is held together w/some kind of roux. No peppers, no onions, nothing to take away from the flavor of the crab, and basically, buttery dough.... NOM NOM NOM!

orconn
12-08-10, 09:52 PM
When I still lived in L.A. my nephew, who lives in Baltimore, sent me some crab cakes from a famous stand in the Market Place (?), they too were delicious! Although for the same amount of money you could have had a Lobster Clambake from Maine airfreighted and gotten clams, lobster, corn and clam chowder thrown in. In recent years the blue crabs in the Chesapeake bay have been on the rebound. Although I am told by friends in the know that it has been a long time since they have harvested blue crabs the size we use to catch in the 1950's up and down the Mid Atlantic coast.

Submariner409
12-09-10, 11:32 AM
One pound of backfin blue crab meat.
(NOT jumbo lump backfin - use the slightly cheaper variety - Jumbo lump $$$ is for Crab Imperial)

bowl

salt, pepper, 2 egg yolks (beaten), 1/2 tsp yellow mustard, 3/4 tsp Old Bay seasoning, tsp crushed dried parsley, 2 tsp mayo, dash of Worcestershire sauce.

Crab meat in bowl, carefully turn in all ingredients, trying not to unduly damage the meat - it's already cooked.

Form into 6 or 8 cakes. Roll in or pat on either plain or panko bread crumbs.

Fry in a bit of oil over medium heat until golden brown. Tartar sauce, cole slaw, FF. ----or whatever. A crisp white wine.

orconn
12-09-10, 04:16 PM
One pound of backfin blue crab meat.
(NOT jumbo lump backfin - use the slightly cheaper variety - Jumbo lump $$$ is for Crab Imperial)

bowl

salt, pepper, 2 egg yolks (beaten), 1/2 tsp yellow mustard, 3/4 tsp Old Bay seasoning, tsp crushed dried parsley, 2 tsp mayo, dash of Worcestershire sauce.

Crab meat in bowl, carefully turn in all ingredients, trying not to unduly damage the meat - it's already cooked.

Form into 6 or 8 cakes. Roll in or pat on either plain or panko bread crumbs.

Fry in a bit of oil over medium heat until golden brown. Tartar sauce, cole slaw, FF. ----or whatever. A crisp white wine.

Great recipe! But here's just an added tip for preparation. After forming and breading the crab cakes place them in the refrigerator for about an hour to firm up the cake; they will hold together better when being fried! Bon appetit!