: My 86 brougham and 89 brougham failed emissions, and are killing me seriously

Jaydizzal
12-06-10, 02:02 AM
I have been through emissions about 4 times now and have spent lots of money already. I have done full tune ups on the both of them which include spark plugs, spark plug wires, oil change, rotor caps, rotors, changed the egr valve, changed air filters, put a new catalytic converter on the 89 brougham,had the carburetor rebuilt on the 86 brougham. Man these Caddies are breaking my pockets seriously, I just dont know what to do. I am in Arizona, here are the readings , they are both failing for basicly the same thing

Hydrocarbons (HC) Vehicles emissions Apllicable standards Results
3.19 1.60 Fail
Carbon Monoxide 73.97 15.00 Fail

Oxides of nitrogen 1.72 2.50 Pass

If anybody has ANY Ideas please let me know ASAP , Thank You, Talk about frustrated:crying:

Aron9000
12-06-10, 03:05 AM
I know this might sound really stupid and simple, but are the cars warmed up and at operating temp when you send them through emissions???

Carburated cars will fail emissions every time if you send them through cold, that's why fuel injection took over was the improved cold start emissions.

Anyways, you can just do what my friend does and slip the emissions guy $100. Around here they are some straight up ganstas that work at the test facility who do not give a ****. Dude didn't even check to see if I had a cat converter on my 1991 last time I went through, just put the tailpipe sniffer in and said I passed.

robb257731
12-06-10, 09:44 AM
I feel for you. My 91 passed when I put it on the road in 2009. Since that time it's had a full tune up and new exhaust. I had to go through emissions again in 2010 and it failed. Turned out the lower intake manifold gaskets were cracked, causing the car to run lean, therefore screwing up the emissions.

Jaydizzal
12-06-10, 08:03 PM
I know this might sound really stupid and simple, but are the cars warmed up and at operating temp when you send them through emissions???

Carburated cars will fail emissions every time if you send them through cold, that's why fuel injection took over was the improved cold start emissions.

Anyways, you can just do what my friend does and slip the emissions guy $100. Around here they are some straight up ganstas that work at the test facility who do not give a ****. Dude didn't even check to see if I had a cat converter on my 1991 last time I went through, just put the tailpipe sniffer in and said I passed.

Thx Aron9000, Yes i always go through emissions after my cars have warmed up, definitely. Man let me tell ya , if i could find someone to hook me up to where i could slip them a 100, trust me i would, without any hesitation. Please if you have any more suggestions let me know, thx again.

Jaydizzal
12-06-10, 08:16 PM
Heah thx for replying Rob257731, im going to have to look into to that, my readings are failing by a large amount.
Carbon Monoxide 73.97 15.00 Fail
I'll keep you guys updated, my father in law told me about a guy that has a shop right across the street from the emissions place, so hopefully it works out, we'll see. thanks guys!!!!