: Blown Head Gasket in 94

94bluebrougham
12-05-10, 10:06 PM
Car overheated due to heater core bypass caps dry rotting. Blown head gasket on my 94 fleetwood, whats this job like? What should I expect to pay? Should I have the heads sent out to machine shop. Neccessity for valves to be done, etc, in this case? How big of a job is it....many things in the way that have to be removed?

jayoldschool
12-05-10, 11:37 PM
heater core bypass caps

Anyone else ever hear of this part?

HUF
12-06-10, 01:24 AM
^ Nope. I do not know how any heater core related part could cause overheating.

csbuckn
12-06-10, 01:38 AM
It's not an easy job, have you done major engine repair before?

turbojimmy
12-06-10, 08:17 AM
^ Nope. I do not know how any heater core related part could cause overheating.

Probably an aftermarket flushing kit? Caps came off and emptied it?

diamondhill
12-09-10, 11:36 PM
just did my headgasket on my 95 fleetwood. it wasnt to bad. i used felpro #1074 head gasket. and always buy new head bolts. and get you a good torque wrench, also definately have your heads checked out at the machine shop. i ended up getting a 3 angle valve job ,new springs ,and seals. Also if you want some good pointers get on camaroz28.com and go to the lt1 engine section and you will find more help than on here.....:cool2:

94bluebrougham
12-10-10, 11:49 PM
Sorry for delayed response. Let me explain that the heater core went at some point and the heater was bypassed. Rubber caps on the hose lines where hose was snipped......not really snipped hose the mechanic just put caps on the outlets where the heater core hose started.

Anyway thats where my antifreeze leak sprang, car overheated and blew head gasket.

I have never done this type of work, radiators and such are my most indepth, so i probably couldnt do it myself. What should i expect to pay for job? Im debating whether to keep car or not.....

If i were to attempt with the supervision of a mechanically inclined person.....how many hours are we talking (on average)

Thanks

jayoldschool
12-11-10, 12:12 PM
Damn, what a bad mechanic. All you have to do is loop the hose on the outlet and inlet.

drmenard
12-11-10, 02:05 PM
94bluebrougham... where are you located? I got another good motor ... Might be cheaper to just change the motor if you can't do it yourself...

94bluebrougham
12-11-10, 04:46 PM
Im in SW Florida.....debating whether or not to keep the car at this point. Everything is solid in it but cosmetically it needs paint and has a few minor issues. Might be time to part ways since my fear is things could just keep having more issues from here on out.