: Anyone have trouble with those rear seat best buckles?

CeeFive
12-05-10, 05:26 PM
I just noticed when I fold my seat down flat that it rests on the bottom mount buckle/latches on the seat bottom creating a sizable "dent" in in seat back bolster when raised. It does not really go away and after a time I would think it will do real damage to the seat back. I fold my rear seat down a lot and see this as a big potential problem. Anyone else seeing this issue and /or coming up with a fix for it? I may lay a thin piece of closed cell foam down first before I fold the seat. Seem like a real oversight to me.

sube5186
12-06-10, 03:16 PM
OK, I went out to my car to try and see what you're referring to. I just don't see it. For the two outboard rear passengers, the "female" portion of the seatbelt buckles have a color coded rubber like protector pad nestled in the seat to prevent any damage. The female portion of the seatbelt buckle for the rear center passenger lies flat in a compartment made specifically for it. The male portion of all three seatbelts lie flat against the seat back, even when lowered. Therefore, they shouldn't cause any indentations in the seats.

Are your seats somehow different than this? Maybe you can take a pic of this "dent".

Sube

CeeFive
12-07-10, 11:02 AM
Okay, here are a couple pics. The damage is worse than it shows in the pics with the flash on. It gives you an idea though of what is happening. I can not get the female buckles to recede further down into the seat to stop creating the problem. You can even see some denting on the middle section of the seat from the middle belt which does have that indentation to hold the buckle.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/Frankie2blue/cad3.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/Frankie2blue/cad1.jpg

CeeFive
12-07-10, 02:23 PM
Just got back from the dealer. I took it down for this issue and a rattle or clunking noise in the rear when hitting bumps. They are going to try to find the noise (they hear it also) and are keeping the car.By the way, my car only has 329 miles and is a 2011. The seat belt issue they say is "normal". Well IMO there is really something wrong with the design here. I guess a lot of people must not put their seats down. While I was there another person pulled in with the same issue and a little older car (6500 miles)!!!! They would like a fix to their issue also. I took this pic of their problem which makes mine look minor, but is what I have been afraid of if you keep the seat down quite a bit which I usually do on my SUVs. The dealer admitted a lot of folks which these probably rarely put their seat down. It may be "acceptable" for some but it sure isn't in my opinion. Not on a car in this price range.:(
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/Frankie2blue/photo-23.jpg

sube5186
12-07-10, 03:16 PM
Try pushing the seatbelt latch down into the pocket (as pictured) "before" you lower the seat back. This should minimize the dent.

I do agree. This could have been designed better. We may just be stuck with this. It may come down to laying a towel down before you lower the seat back. Not exactly a fix, but at least it'll save your seats

Sube

TRMN8R1
12-07-10, 05:19 PM
Just got back from the dealer. I took it down for this issue and a rattle or clunking noise in the rear when hitting bumps. They are going to try to find the noise (they hear it also) and are keeping the car.By the way, my car only has 329 miles and is a 2011. The seat belt issue they say is "normal". Well IMO there is really something wrong with the design here. I guess a lot of people must not put their seats down. While I was there another person pulled in with the same issue and a little older car (6500 miles)!!!! They would like a fix to their issue also. I took this pic of their problem which makes mine look minor, but is what I have been afraid of if you keep the seat down quite a bit which I usually do on my SUVs. The dealer admitted a lot of folks which these probably rarely put their seat down. It may be "acceptable" for some but it sure isn't in my opinion. Not on a car in this price range.:(
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/Frankie2blue/photo-23.jpg

That's UGLY! Although I haven't folded down my seats yet (2 wks old 2011), I am one who does very often when traveling on business particularly with another person. I don't want to look forward to this eventuality! Thx for sharing!

CeeFive
12-07-10, 06:33 PM
Just picked up my car from the dealer. There is no fix for the belt other than the ideas stated above. I just bought a color matched bath mat I will lay down. They said there are quite a few complaints about this and they are being forwarded to GM (not that it will probably do much good).
Anyway, the thumping I head in the back is another thing that can't be fixed ( but supposedly GM is working on it) The gas in the tank when full sloshes around between the two tanks.They took 10 gallons out and the issue went away. (Of course they put most of it back in, but not all) The issue goes away after about 3/4 full. There is a GM bulletin to dealers about this issue they showed me, but no telling when and if there will be a fix. I hope that is the end of the surprises.

stevec5375
12-07-10, 07:49 PM
Not to get off topic, but I just want to add that this is one of the best threads I've seen on here in a while. Kudos to all of you who bothered to take pics to help show the problem. I personally haven't had to deal with this because I rarely put my back seats down but I do understand and would share your frustrations.