: Motorcyclist Allegedly Broke Speed Limit By 140 MPH

HotRodSaint
09-21-04, 05:12 PM
The speed limit was 65 mph on U.S. Highway 61 near Wabasha. Police said Samuel Tilley was breaking that limit by 140 mph. They said a state patrol pilot who was flying overhead clocked Tilley doing 205 miles an hour while racing with another motorcyclist.

Pilot Al Loney said the bike was traveling nearly twice as fast as his plane. He radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two cyclists over.

Only the faster one was arrested. (http://www.wftv.com/news/3748818/detail.html)

ShadowLvr400
09-21-04, 05:55 PM
Gonna do it, do it right. Doing 205 though... I find that a bit hard to believe, even for a bike.

STS 310
09-21-04, 06:27 PM
That would be a little hard to control. Man a wrong move and splat!! They would have needed a a spatula to scrape that guy up.

Vesicant
09-21-04, 06:33 PM
IF most super sport bikes can do 165-170 stock, 200 is probably reachable... Might have been turbo'd or n2o.

Highway 61 is certainly long enough too ...

The pilot may have miscalculated on the speed also ;)

HotRodSaint
09-21-04, 07:55 PM
Here's a longer article.

205 mph earns biker citation (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/9716733.htm?1c)

The Minnesota State Patrol pilot had been flying near Wabasha on Saturday afternoon, watching a pair of motorcycles racing each other along U.S. 61. When one of the bikes accelerated dramatically, Loney was ready clicking his stopwatch when the cycle reached a white marker painted on the roadside.

A quarter-mile later, he clicked it again. It read 4.39 seconds, which Loney calculated to be an astonishing 205 mph.

"I was in total disbelief," Loney said. "I had to double-check my watch because in 27 years I'd never seen anything move that fast."

D148L0
09-21-04, 08:24 PM
Gonna do it, do it right. Doing 205 though... I find that a bit hard to believe, even for a bike.

A stock hayabusa reaches more than 300 KPH (187 MPH). With some modifications, that one and several other superbikes can go faster than 205 MPH.

Vesicant
09-21-04, 08:33 PM
I agree. its totally possible...

Just... you wouldnt see me testing 160+ mph speeds on uneven public roads with a motorcycle. A freakin peanut shell could mess you up.

ShadowLvr400
09-21-04, 08:36 PM
The real sad thing is though. This is exactly why I dont get a bike. Because I would so do that. Whether my future was a stain or not, I'd do it. 205 mph... I'm ashamed to admit, some blood flow has left my brain, destination, well... I cant say. This board isn't 18+

HotRodSaint
09-21-04, 09:36 PM
I agree. its totally possible...

Just... you wouldnt see me testing 160+ mph speeds on uneven public roads with a motorcycle. A freakin peanut shell could mess you up.

The only place I'd do 200+ mph would be Bonneville. And then only with 4 wheels under me.

What would it take to make the Fleetwood hit 200? :D

Vesicant
09-21-04, 10:49 PM
A jet engine!

You could make it into a jet powered funny car then... :histeric:

Rolex
09-21-04, 11:15 PM
Don't bother to donate your organs...if you lost it at 200 mph there'd be nothing left to go around. This guy must have been :drinker :cookoo:

illumina
09-21-04, 11:37 PM
205 mph???!!!

geezus, i can't even fathom that kind of speed.

(note to self, twin turbo the caddy)

K2K
09-22-04, 12:28 AM
I thought this was going to be a "140 over the limit in a 15 MPH zone"?

Pretty incredible, if true.

I'm a bit paranoid upon hearing about the friendly eye in the sky though, didn't ever think those signs meant anything

ShadowLvr400
09-22-04, 01:36 AM
The only place I'd do 200+ mph would be Bonneville. And then only with 4 wheels under me.

What would it take to make the Fleetwood hit 200? :D

Being dropped from high orbit.

T_Dogg8
09-22-04, 08:18 AM
damn. and the dude didn't even have a license. that's one of the stupidest things i've heard about. you've got to be 'not exactly right' to do that.

Vesicant
09-22-04, 06:04 PM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0922042speed1.html

A "honda 1000".... probably wasnt stock.. athought if it was a CBR1000RR , those have been clocked at 192+ ... closing the gap at 200+ may need some work though. There was a biker celebration going on and that seems right for someone to test out a "mod" :D

TheSwedishTiger
09-23-04, 06:17 AM
Maybe the guy will be up for the Darwin Award some day... :helpless:

"The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The metal debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.

The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that a former Air Force sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The sergeant took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, accelerated to a high speed, and fired off the rocket.

The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Chevy remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Ironically a still-legible bumper sticker was found, reading
"How do you like my driving? Dial 1-800-EAT-SHIT."

T_Dogg8
09-23-04, 07:45 AM
wasn't that a myth?? i thought i read somewhere that never actually happened. i could be wrong though, it happened once :)

D148L0
09-23-04, 10:19 AM
Priceless!! could you please give us some link/source, S Tiger?

T_Dogg8
09-23-04, 10:39 AM
it's not true. if you think about it, how would a car fly 1.3 miles?? you're debating science in the CI forum, you shouldn't fall for this one.

D148L0
09-23-04, 11:03 AM
it's not true. if you think about it, how would a car fly 1.3 miles?? you're debating science in the CI forum, you shouldn't fall for this one.
Why do you think I said: "priceless!!!" ?
Do I really need to put an ironic smiley for you to realize it? Talk about "earth around the sun" kind of obvious...
However, for every weird story like this one, there is a background story/explanation. That is why I asked for the link. I like to read the stuff myself, rather than asking others to do it for me...

75pimpdeville
09-23-04, 04:29 PM
Its fake. I saw it on mythbusters a while back. They used a 67 impala with a jato, got to about 120 or so i believe.

TheSwedishTiger
09-24-04, 05:36 AM
Yeah, they proved it was bogus, but it's still funny!
So is a lot of the other stories (true or false) on the site:
www.darwinawards.com

T_Dogg8
09-24-04, 07:39 AM
Why do you think I said: "priceless!!!" ?
Do I really need to put an ironic smiley for you to realize it? Talk about "earth around the sun" kind of obvious...
However, for every weird story like this one, there is a background story/explanation. That is why I asked for the link. I like to read the stuff myself, rather than asking others to do it for me...
usually if i say 'priceless' in that situation, i'm talking about someone being stupid. a good 'story' in my mind isn't priceless.

here's the link to the guy who 'supposedly' started this.

http://www.rocketcarstory.com/

it's long so i didn't read the whole thing. might not be accurate, not sure.

HotRodSaint
09-24-04, 01:39 PM
Can Stillwater motorcyclist Samuel Tilley really get his machine to do 205 mph? (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/9744515.htm?1c)

After the Pioneer Press first reported the details of Tilley's citation, the nation's media picked up the story and, within hours, the motorcycle racing world began buzzing about whether Tilley really could have reached such a record-breaking velocity.

There are more than a few skeptics.

"Theoretically, it could happen anything is possible but I don't believe it," said John Ulrich, editor of Roadracing World, a magazine that covers sport bike racing. "Guys who want to break speed records and go over 200 mph have to go to great lengths to get there."

Ulrich is a leader in a chorus of motorcycle aficionados who doubt the State Patrol's timing methods.

They note that if the trooper who timed Tilley were off by a half-second which critics say is possible given variables such as the altitude, speed and the angle of approach of his Cessna it drops Tilley's speed to about 185 mph.

This still would be the unofficial state record for the fastest speeding ticket, and everyone agrees a Honda CR51 can hit that speed. But it's not the double C-note.

The State Patrol is sticking to its guns and stopwatch. Spokesman Kevin Smith said it's possible for Tilley's bike to go that fast, and noted the pilot who timed Tilley has more than two decades of experience on patrol.

68CoupeDeVille
09-24-04, 03:42 PM
Yeah, it can be done but it would take LOTS to make it happen. I don't beleive it. What was the cop using to do the timing? A hand operated stopwatch? VERY easy to be off by far more than .5 secs with one of those.

The State Patrol is sticking to its guns and stopwatch. Spokesman Kevin Smith said it's possible for Tilley's bike to go that fast, and noted the pilot who timed Tilley has more than two decades of experience on patrol.[/i]

You'd need significant mods to be able to get that fast. Turbos, new sprockets, no mirrors, etc. No way.

T_Dogg8
09-27-04, 07:58 AM
only in america will people try to 'defend' someone going 140 mph over the speed limit. he could have killed himself, or worse, a few others. i don't think it should matter if he was going 185 or 205, he should be going to jail.

juiceE
09-27-04, 01:37 PM
there was big talk about sum biker here in chicago goin 170+ on the i-90 last year

this guy blew him away though, i dont remember what ahppened to the guy, i do know he got arrested, but it was a while ago, an my brain cells have vastly decreased since then.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
09-27-04, 03:04 PM
I think he hit 200, the 205 i dunno about

D148L0
09-27-04, 03:11 PM
OK, here is an update, supposedly from the 205 guy himself, taken from FARK:
(the link goes to a picture of the ticket):
All right, I was the one who got the ticket and it is time to clear some things up. For one, I was riding a 2003 Honda RC51, "heavily modified" with 2 Brothers slip on pipes and, well thats all the mods I have unless you count the "I stop for wh***s" sticker. Next, the bike wasn't impounded, it was towed so it wouldn't be in the roadway. Ok, on to the tickets. 205...uh no. I am personal friends with the owner of "Hitman Motorsports" and tonight, Sept. 22, we did a top speed run on his dyno, in 6th gear, and maxed nearly 60mph slower than I was arrested for. The "no motorcycle endorsement" is because my licence was expired, I do have a motorcycle endoresement for all you people digging into me about that. The stop watch method may be accurate at times, but this is un-conceivable for my motorcycle to approach 205. Honda's RC211v, which is Honda's MotoGP race bike, 5 cyclinders and 268 horespower, just broke 200mph on the track within the last week. And we are talking about a 1/2 to 3/4 million dollar bike. And for you gear-heads, I had on Joe Rocket Boots, Shoei helmet, Leather gloves, Ballistic coat, and leather bottoms. Also, both of us were arrested, and no, the slower one did not get a warning, he was ticketed for 111mph on a F4i. I hope this clears things up for everybody, I am just sick of everyone saying things about what they dont know, making me look like this horrific person. People speed, and if anyone knows anything about the "Flood Run" (which was the ride I was on, which by the way benefits the Gillettes Children Fund) I would be a hell of a lot more concerned about the 7,000 bar-hopping motorcyclist out on the road. 99% of the people you hear things from are misinformed. If you have questions, I will answer them. And one last note, this is information you don't know, the pilot who clocked me, was clocking me, the F4i, and flying his plane at 110mph all at the same time. Think about that for a second.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0922042speed1.gif

T_Dogg8
09-27-04, 04:29 PM
sounds like he wants people to give him a break for speeding so fast he could've killed someone because 'everyone speeds'. my question is, if he blew by the guy doing 111, don't you think he was doing more than 145, which he claims is the bikes top speed. the guys a joke and should be in jail, if for nothing else, to protect him from himself.

PDBDeville
10-01-04, 07:41 PM
I would (personally) call bullsh1t on his claim of "only" capable of 145 or so. 128 hp on such a light bike "should" get him quite a bit more. I rode an '87 FJ1200 for 7 years and had the opportunity (and lack of brains....was still young) which was heavier, less aerodynamic, and (I believe) had less horsepower (but more torque). Supertrapp slipons, rejetted carb, K&N filter, one tooth down on the front sprocket.....it was good for 167 mph (redlined).

EDIT: just looked at his ticket. if I'm looking at it correctly he was fined $215 for the speeding portion of the ticket.....how in the hell would such a piddly fine in any way be construed as a deterrent?

PhillyCaddy
10-01-04, 11:55 PM
I believe that the mythbusters tried something like that, and sure enough, BUSTED. good story though.
as for 205 mph. on 2 wheels. I thought I was bad when I did 140 once. on 4 wheels. never again unless it is on a track.

T_Dogg8
10-04-04, 08:57 AM
i couldn't tell on that ticket, but in pa, the fine portion of your ticket usually isn't very much. it's all the extra stuff you pay that jacks it up.

D148L0
10-04-04, 03:21 PM
i couldn't tell on that ticket, but in pa, the fine portion of your ticket usually isn't very much. it's all the extra stuff you pay that jacks it up.
Tell me about it. The only traffic ticket I've got so far was in PA. The guy wanted me to handle him the cash right there.. and it was a LOT. :shocked2: (80+ in a 45 zone, I didn't see the sign after being in a 65 MPH zone).

DaveSmed
10-04-04, 11:01 PM
Yea, my fine was $25, with the other stuff added in? $105. Gotta love Pennsy.

T_Dogg8
10-05-04, 07:41 AM
check this out. i think that guy could get to 200 on open highway.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/bikespeed.avi

D148L0
10-05-04, 10:36 AM
Nice link. Did you noticed he does a wheelie at 100? Talk about cojones...

T_Dogg8
10-05-04, 10:48 AM
yeah, i thought that too. wouldn't catch my ass doing that.

D148L0
10-05-04, 11:07 AM
Precisely now that we were talking about high fines, I read this:

Finnish bank director gets 15,000-euro speeding ticket (17,951 dollars) for speeding, he was caught last year driving 111 kilometers per hour (69 miles per hour) in a 80-kilometer per hour (50-mile per hour) zone.
In Finland fines are given according to one's salary and he was originally asked by a local court to pay 54,000 euros, corresponding to 16 days of his salary in 2001, when he received extraordinary income from share sales.
The Helsinki appeals court ruled on Monday however that the fine should be based on his income from 2002, the year prior to the offense, saving the speeding banker almost 40,000 euros.

(complete story: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1516&ncid=1516&e=2&u=/afp/20041004/od_afp/afplifestyle_finland)

T_Dogg8
10-05-04, 12:49 PM
wow. that would suck. but i like that idea. it would be a deterent for some people. i could see if i made a couple million a year not worring about a $200 ticket.

Spyder
11-17-04, 11:53 PM
Yea, I'd rather have that...based on my income, my last ticket a couple of years ago would have been a hell of a lot cheaper. I do agree with basing it on income though. Even if you make 70 or 80K a year, a ticket or two a year and a little higher insurance isn't going to hurt you that bad.

T_Dogg8
11-19-04, 03:20 PM
lol. so now that i'm unemployeed, would that mean i could drive as fast as i want because any precent of 0 would be 0 :D