: Please help - 2.8L Distributor Removal

FitchKid
12-05-10, 02:19 PM
Hello Everyone, I tried a search but had no luck. I have an '86 Cimarron with the 2.8L V6. Everything has been running awesome but the other day I was driving home and all of a sudden the check engine light came on and it died instantly. I got it to a Sullivan Tire so they could diag the CEL. They came out and said the Distributor is junk. I guess the seal is bad so oil got up and ruined the module, etc. I went next door to a AutoZone and picked up and distributor for $140. I figured I can just do it myself, because Sullivan Tire wanted $600!! I've been in the automotive field for a long time so it shouldnt be a problem. So I mark all the wires to the cap and remove the cap and rotor. then I unclipped the 2 electrical connectors going to the module.....ok....looking for a bolt with a tab to loosen an remove the distributor....???? There isnt one....how the heck does it come out? I tried moving it but its in there solid? Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong or what to look for? I have it all apart and its my only car and I have to work tomorrow morning. Any help will be awesome!!!! Thanks!!

elvin315
12-05-10, 03:04 PM
Cimarron owners are scarce here. Maybe 3 a year pop in. Try a Chevy Cavalier or GM J-Car forum. That engine was the SBC of V6s in the '80s. Good Luck.

FitchKid
12-05-10, 03:09 PM
Urgh....awesome man. Thanks alot! I just dont get it, you think there would be a bolt, tab, anything that would hold the Dist. down? Theres nothing there!! LOL

Doug Chase
12-05-10, 05:03 PM
I've had a ton of V6 Fieros which have the same 2.8 as the Cimarron.

Look closer, there IS a tab and bolt holding the distributor in. Is it burried under gunk? If it's not there then look for a hole. If you find a hole then you've verified that they're missing.

The distributor has an o-ring where it goes into the block and after many years this gets old and hard and square. Not only does it leak when this happens, but it will also hold the distributor very firmly in place.

Clean around the area, remove the tab and bolt (if they're there) then start twisting and pulling.

Good luck!

Doug