: Canada’s 10 worst selling new cars in 2010

hazcaddy
12-05-10, 12:13 PM
Guess who made second-worst, according to yesterday's Toronto Star:

"2. Cadillac STS/40 sold
Soon to be replaced by a new XTS sedan for 2012, I can understand if you thought Caddy’s $61,135 STS mid-size luxury sedan had already been put out to pasture.
The STS is only slightly larger on the inside, but comes with a hefty price premium over the more successful CTS.
And like Lexus’ lack of success with its GS midsize, GM Canada is trimming back the STS lineup. Last year’s optional V8 has been deep-sixed, leaving only the slightly less powerful 302 hp V6.
Not that any Canadians are likely to notice anyway…"

Well, after reading that I suddenly appreciate my STS4 much more - it is now a rare example of a low-volume exclusive and distinctive treasure (instead of a mass-produced run-of-the-mill Beemer or Merc...)

Midnight
12-06-10, 06:40 PM
Yeah, it's kinda neat driving something "different".

I think GM is crazy though. All that expense to sell 40 cars. And just letting it sputter out and become obsolete, basically since 2005 (and 08 facelift). IMO, if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right, and throwing your support behind it, or kill it outright. But they just half heartedly keep putting on band-aids year after year. Until it sounds like the STS is a failure, when they are the failure.

Things like this make it clear to me that GM hasn't really changed at all, or learned anything from their brush with death. At this rate, should have let them fail. See above about doing things right or not at all.

Giddy
12-07-10, 06:51 AM
Yeah, I read that on the weekend. I think it is cool to drive a car that you don't see too often. I wonder if the sales numbers in the USA were higher than 400 (typical 10:1 population ratio).

Hazcaddy, I live on the Burlington/Oakville border. Mine is an 08 Sunset Blue AWD. Maybe we will see each other on the road one day. GG

turnne
12-09-10, 05:11 PM
Well, after reading that I suddenly appreciate my STS4 much more - it is now a rare example of a low-volume exclusive and distinctive treasure (instead of a mass-produced run-of-the-mill Beemer or Merc...)

Yes...and those two mass-produced run-of-the mill makes are both more expensive..new or used

Not sure how you think that makes the STS "exclusive"...rarer yes....more exclusive..No

Warren

ddalder
12-19-10, 04:04 AM
There have been other cars like this as well. For example, in 2004 GM only brought 232 Bonneville GXP's into Canada. There were a total of five available options (only four in Canada) but came with a hefty price tag (approx. $50K). I suspect part of the problem is that people here just aren't prepared to pay that kind of money for what you get. I like my STS as well, but I'd never buy one new... not for the money GM wants and the depreciated value 2-3 years down the road. It's disappointing because I believe GM could do so much better with some of these "less common" models.

I really like the fact there aren't dozens of vehicles like mine everywhere I look. Sadly this often translates to an early demise and lack of available parts.