: Moisture in headlamp

torogt
12-05-10, 10:11 AM
I have had my car for over a month and washed it several times. but last night i notice condensation in the headlamp. the lens is not cracked, anyone have idea how its getting in?

BaTu
12-05-10, 11:25 AM
It's the seal between the housing and the clear lens. Replacements are Very expensive :( it's the entire housing...

BUT, good news is, you can fix this yourself! It's a simple job that's a bit more complicated when you find you need to remove the entire front of the car to do it though :) It actually looks like more of a job than it is.

Do a SEARCH here, there are lots of posts about "condensation".

Basically, pull the dz or more plastic clips and 4 nuts that hold the ft bumper cover to access the housing bolts and remove them Both (if ones leaking the others not far behind). Dry them out and reseal with silicone (I used Permatex Windshield Sealer, it a "watery" silicone that flows into sm cracks)

Depending on your weather, I'd do it soon! ;) It'd be less fun in the very cold.

If you wait too long that water will stain the inside and ruin the housing...

EChas3
12-05-10, 11:59 AM
If you are under warranty, you can make a claim of 'excessive condensation.' Some members have prevailed.

Good luck!

turnerbend
12-05-10, 01:08 PM
Had my headllamps replaced a few years back. Cost over $2500 for both. (under warranty).

LAC_STS
12-05-10, 01:29 PM
Yea it would be great if your under warranty. Water messes these headlights up quick.

If no warranty then get em off and sealed up quick.

torogt
12-05-10, 03:18 PM
If you are under warranty, you can make a claim of 'excessive condensation.' Some members have prevailed.

Good luck!

My car is still under the corrosion warranty but I dont know if the headlamp would be included?

STS_0423
12-05-10, 04:01 PM
I have had my car for over a month and washed it several times. but last night i notice condensation in the headlamp. the lens is not cracked, anyone have idea how its getting in?

ahhhh the age old problem for the STS....look at it this way, you are properly not a part of the STS owners group if you do not have this problem. I think this is the first problem most of us run into when we first buy the car. In other words, you are not alone, this is a problem for the entire STS fleet. Anyway, as you have already been told, you may try to replace it with warranty. If not, it is a relatively easy fix. You will have to take off the entire front clip of the car, DO NOT try to cut corner as you will most likely mess something up and will end up being more pissed off at the end. You have to take out the plastics in the wheel wells and there is a nut on the inside of the fenders. Other than that there some other bolts along the bottom of the bumper...take your time and don't rush. There are 3 bolts (I think, its been a while) that hold the light housing in. Once you take out the housing, just put in a good water resistant silicone along all the cracks and where you think water would get in. I did this about 1 1/2 ago and never looked back. I have never had a problem since. Plus look at it this way, doing it yourself would give you great practice when it is time to replace a 30 cent light bulb that the dealership would want to charge you over $100 for in labor.