: Used sts prices

torogt
12-04-10, 01:20 PM
Just wondering what you would or should pay for one. I just bought my 2006 STS 1SG AWD about a month ago with 87K for $16.400. I looked at a 2005 at the same time at another dealer with 61K said the lowest he would go was $21.900. I just saw it on the internet listed for 16.995.

KRSTS
12-04-10, 02:38 PM
2005 SIX YEAR OLD car $12K - $14K
2006 FIVE YEAR OLD car $14 - $16K

Trim packages do not affect price much on those older cars. Mileage and condition maybe +/-$1K:helpless:

torogt
12-04-10, 02:54 PM
2005 SIX YEAR OLD car $12K - $14K
2006 FIVE YEAR OLD car $14 - $16K

Trim packages do not affect price much on those older cars. Mileage and condition maybe +/-$1K:helpless:

When I was shopping for mine I didnt want to spend over 20K but I didnt see any under 16K

txbest1980
12-04-10, 03:54 PM
i just bought an 05 this past week with 66K on the clock for 12K...

any idiot trying to sell an 05 for 21K will never see that car leave his lot...

torogt
12-04-10, 04:23 PM
The 2005 was 1SF AWD N* mine was 1SG AWD N* I just looked and did find some for sale in the 12K to 16K but they were all RWD V6

EChas3
12-05-10, 01:27 PM
2 years ago, I bought my early 2006 (w' 38,000 miles) AWD 1SG w' CPO for $21k. I still feel satisified it was a good deal. If today's market were the same, I'd now see a similar 2008 for about the same price. I find asking prices 20% higher than that and infer that used STS are selling for about 10% more. Regardless of the reason, STS prices around here are significantly higher than they were two years ago.

KRSTS
12-05-10, 03:51 PM
Here's a 2008 V for $21,800. Could be a hell of a deal:bouncy: http://www.dragtimes.com/classifieds-viewer.php?itemID=280596915286

Saila22
12-05-10, 04:00 PM
The Reserve is $43,900 and its a V series

KRSTS
12-05-10, 04:44 PM
The Reserve is $43,900 and its a V series

How did you find the reserve; it is not listed beside you can "buy it now" for $49,500 so a reserve of $43,900 does not make sense.

EChas3
12-05-10, 07:05 PM
I don't want a V; ACC is not available on them.

chagrin falls
12-05-10, 09:00 PM
In July I traded a 06 STS 1SG with 16k miles on a 10 CTS Premium. The STS was pristine with Corsa Exhaust, E & G grill, premium wheels, acc, etc, etc. The dealer gave me $19.5k and discounted the CTS $5k. After 3 weeks the dealer sold the STS for $21.5k with no warranty. In its day, I really beleive the STS was one of the most technically centered American made cars. Sadly, Cadillac did almost nothing to promote the car and sales reflected same year after year and will continue to plummet. The only things I miss on the CTS from the STS are auto dim and the heated steering wheel which is now available for 2011. For someone looking for a premium luxury car, a used STS is a bargain compared with what their original sticker was. But if it does not come with a comprehensive extended warranty it is truly "buyer beware". Repair costs can be horrendous. In my humble opinion, I love the CTS. It is much more user friendly and just "easier". So far I have had no problems with the CTS and very few with the STS. I did have to have the STS's Nav replaced under warranty as I was not able to eject a CD. I am sure the STS was cutting edge when it was introduced in 2005. But technology has advanced in 5 years and Cadillac has stepped up their game AND advertising on the CTS which has resulted in great sales. Who knows what resale will be on the CTS a few years down the road as their are very few used cars that hold any type of residual value. It is all a crap shoot!

turnne
12-09-10, 04:26 PM
In July I traded a 06 STS 1SG with 16k miles on a 10 CTS Premium. The STS was pristine with Corsa Exhaust, E & G grill, premium wheels, acc, etc, etc. The dealer gave me $19.5k and discounted the CTS $5k. After 3 weeks the dealer sold the STS for $21.5k with no warranty. In its day, I really beleive the STS was one of the most technically centered American made cars. Sadly, Cadillac did almost nothing to promote the car and sales reflected same year after year and will continue to plummet. The only things I miss on the CTS from the STS are auto dim and the heated steering wheel which is now available for 2011. For someone looking for a premium luxury car, a used STS is a bargain compared with what their original sticker was. But if it does not come with a comprehensive extended warranty it is truly "buyer beware". Repair costs can be horrendous. In my humble opinion, I love the CTS. It is much more user friendly and just "easier". So far I have had no problems with the CTS and very few with the STS. I did have to have the STS's Nav replaced under warranty as I was not able to eject a CD. I am sure the STS was cutting edge when it was introduced in 2005. But technology has advanced in 5 years and Cadillac has stepped up their game AND advertising on the CTS which has resulted in great sales. Who knows what resale will be on the CTS a few years down the road as their are very few used cars that hold any type of residual value. It is all a crap shoot!

Sounds like you bought the car new and then invested several thousand into accessories etc
Based on the fat that you only drove it 4K miles per year..in my mind you didn't get a lot out of the car. Seems it did quite a bit of sitting?

That being said..its really hard to determine value based on a trade in and that includes what your dealer sold the car for. You have no idea if they had to give $10K for a 10 year old Deville in trade...so to offset an over inflated trade they have to jack up the price of the car they are selling.

These cars have the worst resale in their class....and that has not changed in at least 25 years
However that makes for a great used car value...especially when it seems like 80% of them were lease cars anyway

You are right..the repairs can be ugly and that compiled with the low resale can get these cars in a bad situation quickly. What I mean by that is that a person can buy one of these 4 years old and cannot afford to take care of it.
The purchase price falls quickly but the cost to repair does not...or...the cost to repair gets very close to the value of the car( or higher) and the car is junked

IE...Headgasket or suspension issues

Warren

Midnight
12-09-10, 05:17 PM
When I was looking for mine, trim did definitely make a difference... 20% ish.

I usually check Carmax to get a ballpark figure. Everything I've seen there has been pretty consistent.

They currently have a 06 V with 45k miles for $28k, which is a pretty sweet deal it sounds like. The 05 N* with Nav has held relatively steady for the past year, and there appears to be a glut of V6's out there now. Oddly enough their prices seem to be holding kinda steady too, around $16k for an 05 with ~50k miles. Mine, was a 1SG with 40k miles, and I paid 20k.

As a used car, that's not so bad. If you're looking to buy new, buy it because you want to keep it a long time, or lease.

turnne
12-10-10, 02:01 PM
You should be able to easily find an 05 V8 1SG with 50K miles for $16K
After 2007 the V8's seems to be a rare animal....I assume that means the leases were not a good deal compared to the V6
Anyway...that might prove to be a bigger value add( versus the v6) when the 08 and 09 V8's hit the used car market
Right now a better equipped V6 is worth more than a lesser equipped V8 of the same year and mileage

Warren

caddyfat2
12-10-10, 08:12 PM
Here's a 2008 V for $21,800. Could be a hell of a deal:bouncy: http://www.dragtimes.com/classifieds-viewer.php?itemID=280596915286

No deal. Hit PAY NOW and the price turns into $43,500.

KRSTS
12-10-10, 10:09 PM
I said "could be" its an auction DUH?

turnne
12-11-10, 04:52 PM
No deal. Hit PAY NOW and the price turns into $43,500.

That price..$43,500... sounds crazy...I wish the dealer luck on that
You could probably buy a BMW M5 of that year and mileage for $45,000
And an M5 is worth way more than an STS type V...I would say at least 20-25%

Warren

torogt
12-13-10, 11:17 PM
That price..$43,500... sounds crazy...I wish the dealer luck on that
You could probably buy a BMW M5 of that year and mileage for $45,000
And an M5 is worth way more than an STS type V...I would say at least 20-25%

Warren

I would take the STS V before I would take a BMW, Its American, GM and its a Cadillac!!! I don't care if the BMW is worth more.

caddyfat2
12-14-10, 08:43 AM
I said "could be" its an auction DUH?

No can't be the reserve has not been met at that price....DUH (someone doesn't know about bidding)
I think I would take the V also STS or CTS even XLR.

Neutrocuted
12-14-10, 10:08 PM
Just wondering what you would or should pay for one. I just bought my 2006 STS 1SG AWD about a month ago with 87K for $16.400. I looked at a 2005 at the same time at another dealer with 61K said the lowest he would go was $21.900. I just saw it on the internet listed for 16.995.
I just bought a 2006 STS V8 AWD, 1SF, ACC, 80k with correct staggered OEM new Michelin Pilots, new battery, fresh pads & rotors and paid $12,700 from a dealer. Needed all new TPM sensors, got them installed all inclusive for $200.

EChas3
12-14-10, 10:15 PM
I just bought a 2006 STS V8 AWD, 1SF, ACC, 80k with correct staggered OEM new Michelin Pilots, new battery, fresh pads & rotors and paid $12,700 from a dealer. Needed all new TPM sensors, got them installed all inclusive for $200.

I was told that only the 1SG had ACC & AWD. Sure it's a 1SF? Check the spare cover code label.

It doesn't really matter, I love mine & hope you do, too!

torogt
12-16-10, 09:35 AM
2 years ago, I bought my early 2006 (w' 38,000 miles) AWD 1SG w' CPO for $21k. I still feel satisified it was a good deal. If today's market were the same, I'd now see a similar 2008 for about the same price. I find asking prices 20% higher than that and infer that used STS are selling for about 10% more. Regardless of the reason, STS prices around here are significantly higher than they were two years ago.

If I could have found a 2008 for around 21k I would have probably bought it. Here in Utah or even close by the 2008's are selling for upwards 25k to 28k. maybe I just didn't look long and hard to find the best deal. but then again there are not alot of Cadillac STS for sale around my area. most for sale are over 1000 miles away or more.

turnne
12-17-10, 09:33 PM
I would take the STS V before I would take a BMW, Its American, GM and its a Cadillac!!! I don't care if the BMW is worth more.

Thats fine

My point was that the pricing the V was out of line with the market price

It had nothing to do with preference...it was all about market worth

I would not really be interested in either

However..I would not pay an M5 price for STS V

Warren

turnne
12-17-10, 09:35 PM
If I could have found a 2008 for around 21k I would have probably bought it. Here in Utah or even close by the 2008's are selling for upwards 25k to 28k. maybe I just didn't look long and hard to find the best deal. but then again there are not alot of Cadillac STS for sale around my area. most for sale are over 1000 miles away or more.

The last couple of models years of STS's are much rarer...if you look at the sales they simply weren't moving many cars in the last couple of years

Not like the first couple where they had some aggressive lease programs that brought many 2-3 year cars back after lease return auctions

Warren

turnne
12-17-10, 09:39 PM

sounds like a fair deal...and likely means the auction price of the car was about $10K....they probably put $1500-$1700 in it and sold it to you for about $1000 profit

Warren

EChas3
12-18-10, 12:42 PM
sounds like a fair deal...and likely means the auction price of the car was about $10K....they probably put $1500-$1700 in it and sold it to you for about $1000 profit

In the quest for a great deal it is possible to forget that a business that loses money isn't in business long. Like Warren observes, they made something on the deal and that seems about right to me.

Some deals aren't 'right'. Deceptive practices are always wrong. I'm not in the car business and don't want to be. But everybody has to make a living.

z06bigbird
12-19-10, 10:47 AM
i just bought an 05 this past week with 66K on the clock for 12K...

any idiot trying to sell an 05 for 21K will never see that car leave his lot...

Speaking about stupidity, here is one you will not believe. There is a large dealership in Wisconsin (Caddy + separate Chevy, etc). Ernie Von Sch... or something.

He has two cars there that have been sitting on his showroom floor (and or on lot) for 5 years.

1. 05 CTS-V. 800 miles, circa. Ad says it has never been PERSONALLY titled. You can buy that today for $39,900 or so. One of his sales people told me that they have had a tremendous amount of interest on this car, but he was saving it for me. He asked if I thought that $35,000 was a fantastic price. I fully agreed, and told him that his price was fantastic and then some. FOR HIM.

They also have an 06 STS. Same story about sitting there.

Sounds like the sales mgr needs to take some lessons from produce managers. When apples get old, you do not wait for someone to offer you premium prices.

EChas3
12-19-10, 12:02 PM
EVS in Saukville WI lost their Cadillac certification during the recent contraction of dealerships. In '08, I thought we got good deals there.

They still service my wife's car to her satisfaction. I use Crest in Brookfield for warranty work. I'm happy, too.

turnne
12-19-10, 08:37 PM
Speaking about stupidity, here is one you will not believe. There is a large dealership in Wisconsin (Caddy + separate Chevy, etc). Ernie Von Sch... or something.

He has two cars there that have been sitting on his showroom floor (and or on lot) for 5 years.

1. 05 CTS-V. 800 miles, circa. Ad says it has never been PERSONALLY titled. You can buy that today for $39,900 or so. One of his sales people told me that they have had a tremendous amount of interest on this car, but he was saving it for me. He asked if I thought that $35,000 was a fantastic price. I fully agreed, and told him that his price was fantastic and then some. FOR HIM.

Sounds like the sales mgr needs to take some lessons from produce managers. When apples get old, you do not wait for someone to offer you premium prices.

LOL...thats a funny one

I can't imagine GM let a dealer hang onto some cars that long without actually buying( titleing) them

Especially in the case of the STS that literally loses money every day

As a business man...why would you do that?

Warren

tomm
12-21-10, 10:38 PM
You should be able to easily find an 05 V8 1SG with 50K miles for $16K
After 2007 the V8's seems to be a rare animal....I assume that means the leases were not a good deal compared to the V6
Anyway...that might prove to be a bigger value add( versus the v6) when the 08 and 09 V8's hit the used car market
Right now a better equipped V6 is worth more than a lesser equipped V8 of the same year and mileage

Warren

I will be selling mine early next year and I expect to get $18k or more for my 2005 STS V8 AWD. When I had the oil changed last the dealer offered me $17k on the spot for it. It has 46k miles and is loaded. There is still some value in the loaded ones. I will never find a car with all the toys I have gotten used to with this vehicle. The heads up display and adaptive cruise is awesome. I will never forget the first time a car pulled in front of me while on cruise and the car hit the brakes for me to slow me down by itself.

EChas3
12-21-10, 10:53 PM
Highest regards, Tomm. With a growing family, you have many good choices for fine (& fun) transportation. I hope you don't lose your appreciation for the 'toys'. Life can be fun and sensible at the same time. It's OK to pamper yourself a bit while caring for others.

tomm
12-22-10, 08:51 PM
Highest regards, Tomm. With a growing family, you have many good choices for fine (& fun) transportation. I hope you don't lose your appreciation for the 'toys'. Life can be fun and sensible at the same time. It's OK to pamper yourself a bit while caring for others.

We have an SRX for my wife old style and would upgrade to the new one but with 3 kids and all the stuff that comes with the kids we need the 3rd row. We will probably keep the SRX for a bit but I have been looking for the right Escalade for a few weeks now. I shopped almost 6 months for my STS when I bought it (I am very particular and look for killer deals) and I buy from the GM Dealer Auctions (Brother is a dealer) so I check the auctions weekly for the right deal.

Out of all my cars I have owned (Over 10) the STS so far has been my favorite.

txbest1980
12-26-10, 03:08 PM

how does that sales manager still hold his job? they must sell cars like crazy or something, because I know if I was the GM and I seen the same two cars sitting on my lot for so long I would definitely have some questions for a few people

ddgm
12-28-10, 06:19 AM
how does that sales manager still hold his job? they must sell cars like crazy or something, because I know if I was the GM and I seen the same two cars sitting on my lot for so long I would definitely have some questions for a few people

There used to be a Ford dealership outside of Toronto ( maybe Thornhill ) in the late 60s that had a never sold red 1956 TBird in their showroom. The dealership owner was a " car guy". It got so people would come from miles around to see it. This thread reminded me of the time we were driving through and my buddy who had seen it before mentioned it and of course we had to see it. I suspect that this "draw" got a lot of people into the dealership and sold cars for them. Nothing to do with a sales manager or GM just an owner who had a few bucks and intentionaly or not, worked out well for him. I often wonder what happened to that TBird.

Doug