: can old cadillacs be tow dollied?

70LAC
12-04-10, 12:19 AM
i was trying to get my lac to a movie set in la from sandiego but the bearing wore out and the tire almost fell off. so im thinking maybe i can dolly it when i need too take it on a long trip. ive called uhaul before and they said 60-75 cadillacs are to big . that what their computer says is their any truth to that? my logic is if it fits in a parking space it should be able to be dollied. let me know if you have ever tow dollied a old cadillac. thinking of buying a suburban and a tow dolly soon

jayoldschool
12-04-10, 01:10 AM
Yes, you can tow dolly. Best to remove the driveshaft, and just let the rear free wheel. Note that you will need to plug the trans (or just leave the slip yoke in and tie the shaft off to the side). You can also get the car on a U Haul trailer. Just tell them you are transporting a Cavalier ;)

csbuckn
12-04-10, 01:14 AM
I've had 80s rwd cadillacs on a two wheel dolly with no problems but it was close. I dont know how much wider the 70 would be.

Stingroo
12-04-10, 01:20 AM
Don't use a dolly. Use an Auto Transport (the regular trailer, generally for RWD cars). Like Jay says just tell them you're towing a Cavalier or something and they'll let you have it. :lol:

turbojimmy
12-04-10, 02:08 PM
Just tell them you are transporting a Cavalier ;)

Ha! That's exactly what I did in order to rent a trailer to tow my wrecked Deville.

Aron9000
12-05-10, 03:43 AM
Ha! That's exactly what I did in order to rent a trailer to tow my wrecked Deville.

TurboJimmy, you need to start a thread about that Firehawk convertible:drool:

I'd rent a trailer if it were me, I never have really trusted those tow dollies and how they spin your rear wheels on a RWD car.

turbojimmy
12-05-10, 08:46 AM
TurboJimmy, you need to start a thread about that Firehawk convertible:drool:

It's a fake. I usually put "Firehawk" in quotes but I didn't this time. It's a Trans Am. I wanted a WS6 hood, but stumbled across a guy that had a real 'Hawk hood and wheels. All that was left to pull off the fake (visually anyway) was the badge on the nose, the decals and the badge in the interior. Got all that, too.

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/fake_hawk-1.jpg

Back to the subject at hand: Those U-Haul trailers do get squirrely with a heavy load on them. Either that or I was trying to tow too much with my F150. Or both. When towing the Deville, it started to wag my truck around at certain speeds. Didn't have that problem when towing my Grand National (which was probably about 1,000 lbs. lighter than the Caddy).

HAZZARDJOHN
12-06-10, 12:46 AM
Not all car dollies are wide enough for a full size caddy. You need to measure it. I have personally seen a early 70's caddy that someone rented a dolly for and was unable to get it on the ramp. My Friend once lost a wheel bearing on his 96 Dodge ram, so we rented a car dolly and drove to where it was, well the dolly was too skinny for his dodge by a good bit. We ended up fixing the bearing on the side of the road.

Oh and remove the Driveshaft. Turning a drive shaft to a car that is neutral is similar to running an engine without oil pressure.

~HJ