: Look what I found! maybe 2 hearses 74 and 79

YourMainParadox
12-03-10, 11:48 PM
I'm helping strip one that a friend on this board now owns. The other he might soon own as well.

Here is the 79
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7381/img0344small.jpg
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5280/img0346smalls.jpg
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1251/img0348smallt.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1671/img0351largesmall.jpg
More Pix and larger pix here: http://img585.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img0344large.jpg

Here is the 74 (how does the table slide out?)
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6125/img0323small.jpg
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2015/img0320small.jpg
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/8823/img0339small.jpg
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9443/img0332small.jpg
More pix here: http://img403.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img0320small.jpg

CADDYDADDY13
12-04-10, 12:54 AM
That 79 looks like it is fixable! the 74 looks a little rough though.... if your parting out that 79 i'd be interested in those coach lamps if they are in good shape!

csbuckn
12-04-10, 01:06 AM
The more I see these, the more I like them. Is that a window dividing the cab and the back? Are you taking the motor out of the 79?

77CDV
12-04-10, 01:36 AM
That 74 is just sad.

sven914
12-04-10, 02:18 AM
The first Cadillac I ever drove was a 1979 Miller Meteor... Same color as that Victoria but just as scuzzy as that '74.

The-Dullahan
12-04-10, 02:33 AM
So THAT'S the legendary Pawbear Cadillac.

Yeah, that's a Victoria if there ever was one. In all their strange interior classiness. Lefty Doors FOR THE LOSS.

Thanks for telling me about this before making the trip, but next time you're going to do a Hearse Recovery Mission, tell me ahead of time and I will take the time off to come up with you, Paradox. Especially since, running or otherwise, I need to see your magnificent car. In fact, CaddyDaddy should come all the way down here to join us for it, so I can finally see what my car was SUPPOSED to look like.

CaddyDaddy, if you are interested, the coach lamps can be found on several online sources, including here:
http://www.hearseparts.com/products.html

If you do a bit of looking, you can usually find just about anything, but tragically, they tend to be expensive. I've never really wanted a set of coachlamps on my Hearse, though I truly do adore them.

YourMainParadox
12-04-10, 03:17 AM
I didn't really know about this till yesterday especially not two weeks ago haha. I will be working on stripping some parts from the 74 but I am not sure whats up with the 79 yet or even if it is gonna be purchased or not.

YourMainParadox
12-04-10, 03:22 AM
The more I see these, the more I like them. Is that a window dividing the cab and the back? Are you taking the motor out of the 79?

Yes they all have windows dividing the front and back.

The-Dullahan
12-05-10, 02:00 AM
...I want more parking space...

Aron9000
12-05-10, 03:36 AM
[QUOTE=The-Dullahan;2433508]So THAT'S the legendary Pawbear Cadillac.

Yeah, that's a Victoria if there ever was one. In all their strange interior classiness. Lefty Doors FOR THE LOSS.

I thought that door makes sense on the white 79. If you are parked at the curb, it opens out of the way. I've seen a Lexus suv and a Toyota Rav4 obviously designed for the Japanese market that has the door opening the opposite way. So when you unload on the curb, you have this massive door in the way blocking everything.

The-Dullahan
12-05-10, 06:26 AM
I have always preferred the RIGHTY doors, but what I really hate are those horrible mods people do where they put TWO doors (I have photos, but they are FORBIDDEN) in the back, like a Suburban (For the record, Suburbans should never have those either, the single door is best on everything but Armored Transit Vehicles)

Most Hearses naturally have the doors open "LEFTY" style, but as an option, "RIGHTY" doors can be chosen by the purchaser at no additional charge. This is why they tend to be more rare. Kind of like how some barbarians actually have visible gascaps on their funeral coaches, while others have them incorporated into the bumper.

Stingroo
12-05-10, 09:43 AM
I really miss that trend in cars, gas caps behind the license plates... it made life so much easier. You could pull up to any pump, facing any direction, and still get gas. But now they think this eyesore of a door on the side is just as good. Bah. When I get my wagon painted and body work done, that's one of the things I'm doing - relocating the gas filler to behind the tail gate.

CADDYDADDY13
12-05-10, 05:50 PM
In regards to the Gas cap behind the license plate....I love them on my sedans... but my 88 Hearse has the gas cap behing the plate and since my plate is cut into the bumper it is soo low to the ground that it is a PITA. And i can't fill up everywhere since the pumps will stop because the fuel filler neck is almost horizontal.(it takes alot of finessing of the pump to fill the tank)

Anyone else have this problem?

As for the coach lamps, the ones at DNR aren't as classy as the S&S ones. I was considering throwing a set on my coach before reapinting... thought about doing red bulbs inside tho.

outsider
12-05-10, 06:56 PM
i love the gas cap behind the plate on my sedans too...never have to remember which side the tank is on :)

The-Dullahan
12-05-10, 11:42 PM
In regards to the Gas cap behind the license plate....I love them on my sedans... but my 88 Hearse has the gas cap behing the plate and since my plate is cut into the bumper it is soo low to the ground that it is a PITA. And i can't fill up everywhere since the pumps will stop because the fuel filler neck is almost horizontal.(it takes alot of finessing of the pump to fill the tank)

Anyone else have this problem?

As for the coach lamps, the ones at DNR aren't as classy as the S&S ones. I was considering throwing a set on my coach before reapinting... thought about doing red bulbs inside tho.

All us people with the FANCIEST Superiors have that problem. It is truly an EPIC problem though, because it gives me an excuse to block up to four gas pumps to fuel my car, which takes an hour and I get to piss off locals. Any day I get to do that...is a good day.

For those who don't understand why this is a problem, consider than on your Broughams (As most of you experiencing this will be driving) you have one of those...What's-it-called?..."trunk" things back there. This is ghood and dandy, the gascap is behind the license plate which is on the trunk. Now Hearses, in their rear-door-ness, do not have these weird "trunk" things and so, if the gas cap is placed behind the license plate, one must remember it is WAY down in the bumper, not on the back door (Because putting a license plate on the back door of a car is as bad as incorporating BRAKE lights into the back door) so, as CaddyDaddy said, the filler neck for the gas cap is basically a horizontal line. Thusly, you have to pump VERY SLOWLY and at some gas stations, you have to park awkwardly to even reach the hose to filler cap.

Is it worth it?
Totally.

Fold-down license plates also have a number of other uses.

csbuckn
12-06-10, 01:44 AM
Dullahan, does your liscense plate stay down when you fold it down or is it spring loaded?

CADDYDADDY13
12-06-10, 02:45 AM
Dullahan i'm glad i am not the only with these fueling "problems"! haha
It can be an epic time at the pump, especially if i have to go to a unfamiliar gas station....
oh yeah and the back and knee strain.... but its worth it!

I do think it was a bad design though.... its like they designed and built the cars and forgot all about filling her up!
I used to have an 81 S&S victoria and she had a fuel door on the driver's side.. so why couldn't they take from all previous models? I think at this time(i could be wrong) that both S&S and Superior were owned by the same company, and the S&S's that i have seen from same years all had them in body not bumper.

YourMainParadox
12-06-10, 04:40 PM
Is it really that hard to remember which side your gas cap is on? haha. Sting I'm not sure if you can do it on alot of modern cars because they have to design the tank inlet a tad differently to prevent backflow and allow gasses to vent. It might be too low to work on alot of cars.

It also went away because the gas tank was moved farther up for safety (crash reasons). The old style did not do as well in a rear end collision because the bumpers are made to flex and absorb the impact with a crumple zone.

Thought of another I learned from my 69. If the seal on the cap goes bad and or it is not on tightly when you gas it or go up a hill gas can leak out and it has.

The-Dullahan
12-06-10, 07:43 PM
Correct, Paradox. This is why you avoid driving your car backwards into castles. I have seen at least two cars befall this tragic end.

Yes, CaddyDaddy, the Superior and S&S name were both owned by Accubuilt, as were Miller-Meteor and Eureka and tragically, they did not all get these awesome gascaps. In fact, not all Superiors got them either.

On the subject of Coachmakers, have any of you ever come across one of the Sayers & Scovill (Victoria) Hearses with the S&S hood ornament? Those are just plain BADASS. I would purchase a Hearse if it had that. Just because it had it. I still have my fancy Superior Coaches keychain though. Maybe my next Hearse needs to be an S&S...Just saying.

Aron9000
12-06-10, 08:09 PM
I never knew that there were that many companies that built hearses, especially considering how low volume that market has to be.

YourMainParadox
12-06-10, 09:15 PM
Correct, Paradox. This is why you avoid driving your car backwards into castles. I have seen at least two cars befall this tragic end.

Yes, CaddyDaddy, the Superior and S&S name were both owned by Accubuilt, as were Miller-Meteor and Eureka and tragically, they did not all get these awesome gascaps. In fact, not all Superiors got them either.

On the subject of Coachmakers, have any of you ever come across one of the Sayers & Scovill (Victoria) Hearses with the S&S hood ornament? Those are just plain BADASS. I would purchase a Hearse if it had that. Just because it had it. I still have my fancy Superior Coaches keychain though. Maybe my next Hearse needs to be an S&S...Just saying.

I know of a 79 and 74 S&S victoria :P

I personally think the interiors of the S&S are tacky haha. The superior is well superior in that category

The-Dullahan
12-07-10, 05:45 PM
Of course, S&S are Tacky. The only thing worse is a "pimped" S&S. As I told you the day you joined us, always remember that Superior is more than a brand name.

Actually, Aron, there are dozens of smaller chains, those are just the big ones. Another good one is Cotner Bevington. Their Hearses are typically Oldsmobiles and whatnot. Not Cadillacs or Lincolns. They have made some nice cars though and many people consider them to be their favourite make of Hearse, as theirs are a bit more unique, simple because they are not Cadillacs. There are many even smaller brands. Another one is Eagle, who make many Cadillac variants, and even a few Lincoln models (I think they only make two at this time) and though they also sell many "Coupe Du Fleur" Flower cars (Almost bought a Green one once) and their Hearses are known for their trademark sunroofs. However, Eagle has become very famous over the last few years for their line of Minivans used as Hearses and FCV's. Sounds odd, but remember, in the eighties, Suburban Hearses were common. A few companies still make them, but if you have to go out in an SUV, it should be an Escalade, which are a new-on-the-scene commodity that Federal has been pumping out for years now.

YourMainParadox
12-07-10, 07:23 PM
On another forum they had said S&S was the best built hearse as a general consensus.

CADDYDADDY13
12-08-10, 12:09 AM
Well being a funeral director i have been around a bunch of different hearses. Our funeral has a 2005 Eagle Cadillac and we have a 95 Cadillac S&S Masterpiece. And i have owned personally a 81 S&S Victoria, a 91 Federal Cadillac and my current 88 Superior. Our 2005 is a beautiful car, it is fully decked out with chrome and has the full stainlees crown on the roof, but it doesn't have the class of the older caddies in my opinion. Our 95 is a Masterpiece and was the TOP OF THE LINE when it came out. It has the extra high roof line and commercial glass, its a sharp car, but at only 52k miles is showing great age and wear unfortunately. The roof leaks as i have heard almost all of them do. It is noisier than hell on the highway(due to lack of aerodynamics), the antenna doesn't work and bumper is rusting along with back door. But my favorite thing about this car is its LT1 engine. At well over 5500 lbs it can cruise and keep up with anything! Its got great power behind it, something i cant say for any other hearse i have driven or owned, even our 2005. So for that it gets extra points in my book.

My 81 had good power and i love The Victorias, mine had crazy retro green interior and a pull out table. I loved it the minute i saw it, but after buying it i soon went to college and she sat for almost 2 years until i sold since my parents were moving and i had no where else to keep her. At the same time i got my 81 i also got my 91. It was a lesser known federal. But it was a nice looking car. It was longer than my 81 and had a lower table and higher roof so i could fit a ton of people in backand have lots of other fun ;). I took it back and forth to college(4 hour trip) and loved it, got decent mileage too. but after college when i began my funeral directing career i had to sell it and get a more practical car..(wierd huh, as it was a business related car). That when i found my triple black91 Brougham. and several caddies later i finally again have a hearse of my own! my 88 Superior. I like the Superior's body lines and roof line, and it has a nice interior. It isnt quite as classy as the S&S cars though IMO. I like coach lamps etc, but still a sweet car. The downfal with this car is its engine, the 307 has no power! so that is my main fault with the car.

~As for the comment about the S&S hood ornament... the funeral home i actually work for got rid of a 91 S&S with the hood ornament just as i was starting my residency. They consigned it to some auction guy, and lost it for CHEAP... i tried to buy it before they let it go, but the boss didnt like the idea of a "known" car staying in the area, especially since our funeral homes are in very small towns. But i wish i could've at leats snatched that hood ornament up.

The-Dullahan
12-08-10, 12:17 AM
A friend of mine has two of those ornaments. I'd steal you one, but they are modified and connected to a pair of boots.

CADDYDADDY13
12-08-10, 12:25 AM
haha.... boots huh?

For anyone interested in hearses here is a link to the hearse club i am a member of where i live.
It is called RIP (Ride In Peace), there are pics of my hearse and 91 brougham and other members cars. And you have to see one of our members's custom casket sofa... its killer!!
http://slotcar64.freeyellow.com/rip_1.html

YourMainParadox
12-08-10, 08:28 AM
I want a casket for my car haha. Someone from RIP just joined the Professional Car Society forums I am on and they are very against any mods and or Halloween type "antics" so they got ragged on. I have not even posted a picture of my hearse on there because I have an aftermarket radio and rims and my top has been painted so I would get run off of the site.

CADDYDADDY13
12-08-10, 12:46 PM
Yeah, i know what you mean about the PCS guys. But i mean come on its a hearse you have to have fun with it too! I mean i dont think the fake body parts i have in mine or occasionally hang out the doors are tacky? LOL
and of course i have rims that aren't stock.

But those guys on PCS have $100,000+ 59's and flower cars and so on. so i see not modifying those cars. And i'd kill for a 59!

The-Dullahan
12-08-10, 05:29 PM
Oh, No "halloween antics" on the forum? That group would LOVE me. :bigroll:

This is the inevitable end of every Hearse Owner, methinks. Actually, aside from a lack of clothing, he looks quite a bit like me.

http://slotcar64.freeyellow.com/8.20.08_joe_3.jpg

The-Dullahan
12-08-10, 05:39 PM
i'd kill for a 59!

No Fake body parts for me, most of mine are authentic. I do however have my Zombie and my Skeleton and my Coffin and ridiculous sound system red neon lighting and Klaxon and train horns and Xmeas wreath of DOOM.

If you're interested in a '59 and would settle for a Superior, take a trip to ther Pocono Lake area of Pennsylvania (As PA seems to have more Hearses than anywhere else anyway) and ask around for a Romanian Lady who takes care of the cemetery and the library is known for collecting vintage cars and weaponry and genuinely being awesome. Better yet, move there and I guarantee with a collection like yours, she'll find you. That's my sister, so tell her you know me and you are there to collect the '59 that our Mum wanted to give to me. Don't snoop around her property though, because she is rather deadly with a bow.

Eventually, I'll come take it from you, but for probably about five years, at LEAST two-three more years, you will have a '59.

YourMainParadox
12-08-10, 09:07 PM
Go get that car for me and I will give you mine :P also pick up a human skull and a casket/coffin for me ;)

The-Dullahan
12-08-10, 10:47 PM
I don't need to pick those up, I keep them around the house for emergencies. Imagine the trouble you would have if someone come knocking on your door at 4 AM asking to place a Hex on her schoolmates and you realized you had no materials to do it with. that's just poor business practice.

The-Dullahan
12-08-10, 10:50 PM
haha.... boots huh?

Aye.

all the good things in life involve Boots.

Aron9000
12-09-10, 02:17 AM
Aye.

all the good things in life involve Boots.

Yeah, The-Dullahan has the most epic boots, I have serious boot envy over that pair with the Cadillac wreath and crest.

greencadillacmatt
12-09-10, 04:25 AM
^Seeing them in person is even cooler. Shoulda come to Florida over the summer. ;)

Stingroo
12-09-10, 09:36 AM
They were pretty badass looking, actually.

brougham_geezer
12-09-10, 11:44 AM
I've got a set of the S/S badged door panel light lenses for '77-'92 RWD, and a keychains from Superior, Eureka and Miller-Meteor! Got the little sill-plate badges from some different builders, too (that go over the 'Body by Fisher' tags). Also got a bunch of hearse literature saved from the shredding pile at the funeral home I work at, some dating back as far as the '50s.

The-Dullahan
12-09-10, 01:36 PM
Yeah, The-Dullahan has the most epic boots, I have serious boot envy over that pair with the Cadillac wreath and crest.

I JUST LEARNED FIVE MINUTES AGO...

That people are copying Pikey fashion now. Specifically those Stempunk/Gothy peoples. For the LOW PRICE of $170, you can have some Airship Captain Boots.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/1545.jpg

Betcha the plates running down the buckles is flimsy and thin, because it serves no function, just decoration. Funny though, at least they got the number of daisy-buckles right. Men should never wear boots without having five or seven buckles. To do so is utterly barbaric and I shall brand you as a probable Viking.

Yeah, Craig found two Superiors in a Junkyard. If I was there I'd have taken the rear door badges and probably made new toeplates out of them.

The-Dullahan
12-09-10, 01:41 PM
Hearse UPDATE for all you people, before my daisyroots go all piratical and threadjack everything. Paradox asked me early this AM if I had ever flipped my Hearse over, to which I responded that I hadn't...but as for him...well, photos to follow soon.

dream67caddy
01-20-11, 02:24 PM
oh man i want the 72! good job!!:bomb:

YourMainParadox
01-21-11, 09:52 AM
there was no 72 only a 74 and 79