: First Post and Hello from Sunny Florida - USA

Batillac
12-03-10, 10:32 PM
Found this website by Googl'n Cadillac.:yup: Looks to be a dedicated Caddy crowd with plenty of tips (and tricks)?

I own a mint 1999 Deville (12750 miles) without the head bolt problem. Will correct this known issue as a preventative measure anyway with Jake's stud kit in the near future. This will be my first real retirement project. Hopefully, it will keep me out of the La-Z-Boy and in the garage for a week or so. Hope I can call upon you guys if I run into any snags...:o

By the way, have you "studded" your Northstar?:thumbsup:

Stingroo
12-03-10, 10:36 PM
No tricks to be had from that motor, unfortunately. It's pretty much got no aftermarket support and zero bolt on parts. Welcome to the forums. :) Hope you enjoy it here. Where in FL are you? Your screen name makes me laugh because another member here from Florida named his CTS the Batillac.

Batillac
12-03-10, 10:39 PM
I'm from the Tampa Bay area. I was surprised that name wasn't taken when I registered.

Stingroo
12-03-10, 10:44 PM
Ah, cool. There are a few members here from your area. :)

Ranger
12-03-10, 11:04 PM
:welcome:

That's quite a project for preventative maintenance. I'd fix it when and if you need to. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

ejguillot
12-03-10, 11:17 PM
Hello Batillac! I'm also in Tampa Bay (Wesley Chapel), what part of town are you in?

If you're really interested in doing the stud kit install, I'd be happy to talk to you about it: I did it (with a friend's help during the critical parts) last year when my headgaskets went at 140K miles.

Destroyer
12-03-10, 11:24 PM
I'm from the Tampa Bay area. I was surprised that name wasn't taken when I registered.A fellow Tampa Bay Area resident. Welcome! :yup:

Playdrv4me
12-03-10, 11:47 PM
Greetings from a former Tampanian (well somehow I feel I'll always be one).

As Ranger mentioned, there's no reason to tear your engine apart as "preventative" maintenance. At that virgin a mileage, I'd let the car get a little more "broke in" before I start doing a major mechanical overhaul of the head like that. It's just good to know that it IS there if and when you need it (and you will).

orconn
12-04-10, 12:33 AM
Welcome to the Forums and the world of retirement! I have to agree with those that caution against doing a preventive HG job on your Deville. Remember the vast majority of owners of Northstar powered Cadillacs have never needed the HG repair. At any rate best of luck with your Deville!

77CDV
12-04-10, 01:55 AM

The-Dullahan
12-04-10, 02:26 AM
Welcome. Florida needs more members here. Sting was only just telling us all about the meet he was planning for us in 2011 and how he would personally drive his wagon throughout the state to pick everyone up to make sure they would attend.

In seriousness though, welcome aboard. I hope you find the help you need with your project. Not really familiar with that project and only very loosely versed on the engine, myself, but I am certain if anyone knows how to do it, they are online here. What colour is your lovely car?

Batillac
12-04-10, 11:26 AM
Hello Batillac! I'm also in Tampa Bay (Wesley Chapel), what part of town are you in?

If you're really interested in doing the stud kit install, I'd be happy to talk to you about it: I did it (with a friend's help during the critical parts) last year when my headgaskets went at 140K miles.

I'm a bit north-west of you in New Port Richey. Great to know you'd be happy to talk. I'm in the middle of a house purchase and once I'm settled into the new place and set up my garage I'll order the stud kit.

Batillac
12-04-10, 11:28 AM
Noted, but I've always tried to nip problems in the bud before they happen. Kinda my personality.

Batillac
12-04-10, 11:29 AM

That's quite a project for preventative maintenance. I'd fix it when and if you need to. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Noted, but I've always tried to nip problems in the bud before they happen. Kinda my personality.

GGMiv
01-30-11, 02:52 PM
I am also from Florida--Orlando. And new to this forum.

ben.gators
01-30-11, 03:40 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum, I used to live in Gainesville, Florida, for awhile as my forum nickname suggests! :D
Anyway, I need to agree with other posters. You really don't need to do HG job now, and as a 99 N* owner I hardly can call it a problem. However if you like to have some after retirement projects with your toys, it would be another story. But still I should say N* is a wonderful engine (at least until HGs are good! :D) and modifying such a low millage engine is not a very good option for hobby projects.

Destroyer
01-30-11, 11:17 PM
Found this website by Googl'n Cadillac.:yup: Looks to be a dedicated Caddy crowd with plenty of tips (and tricks)?

I own a mint 1999 Deville (12750 miles) without the head bolt problem. Will correct this known issue as a preventative measure anyway with Jake's stud kit in the near future. This will be my first real retirement project. Hopefully, it will keep me out of the La-Z-Boy and in the garage for a week or so. It will definitely keep you off the Lazy-boy for a week or perhaps a few months. I would not do the repair till necessary though. I HATE Devilles of this vintage with all my heart as I owned one but I wish you luck with yours. :mad::mad::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::bouncy:

The-Dullahan
01-31-11, 04:17 AM
Florida sucks. Welcome to the Forum, guys.

Destroyer
02-02-11, 11:42 PM
Florida sucks. Welcome to the Forum, guys.What is wrong with Florida? I am a New Yorker living in FL for the last 19 years and have no plans to return. What is the problem?:lildevil: