: Australian Transport and Safety Bureaureleases Quantas A380 findings

MauiV
12-03-10, 08:40 PM
I was listening to this report today on NPR and it looks like it was MUCH worse than just a lost engine. Apparently, not only was the #2 destroyed but #1 and #4 were damaged as well as "numerous" computer and systems failures simultaniously. LUCKILY for everyone on that plastic monstrosity it was clear VFR, daylight AND there were 3 EXTRA pilots on the flight deck for various reasons along with a very senior Captain and 1st Officer. This combined to allow the crew to litterally save the plane.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/crew-saved-crippled-qantas-a380-from-disaster/story-e6frg95x-1225965405173

Your pilot (like your controller and your surgeon) isnt paid for the mundane thing he is doing right now, he is paid for what he knows how to do when it all goes to Hell in a ahandbasket.

dkozloski
12-04-10, 06:37 PM
I was talking with an ex-Navy pilot that had a uncontained engine failure while taking off from an airfield in an F-8 Crusader. He said he felt and heard a big bang. He looked in the rear view mirror and all he could see was fire from wingtip to wingtip from the perforated fuel tanks. He punched out and a few seconds later found himself walking down the runway just like they had promised him that the system would work. It was six-months before his back healed well enough that they would clear him to fly again.

Playdrv4me
12-04-10, 06:54 PM
These kinds of stupid failures are precisely the reason Boeing has delayed delivery of the 787. Deliver quickly and fall out of the sky, or experience a few delays and hope you stay there.

Even after extensive testing, many of the early release 747s were ultimately undeliverable as customer units.

hueterm
12-04-10, 07:43 PM
Their adventure would be a good movie...