: 2006 Transmission Issues STS Down-shift? Chuggle?

CJB
12-03-10, 05:11 PM
Looking for some advice. I have a 2006 STS All wheel Drive. The vehicle had the "chuggle" issue and the issue was addressed via a reprogram (TSB). I recently took over driving the car from my wife and noticed a, we will call it a chuggle, when the vehicle was cold at around 40 mph (Something is still there). If feels as if the vehicle downshifts very "aggressively". I do not know if this happen because I take my foot off the gas at the same time the vehicle downshifts (I seem to remember cars with vacuum having issues in the past, the STS is probably not a vacuum type system. This does not happen all the time and I have been noticing it at different speeds. I did take it back to the dealer and they could find nothing wrong (go figure). Any suggestions and or similar issues?

EChas3
12-03-10, 07:42 PM
I don't have any driveability issues with my 2006 AWD 1SG (N* loaded w' 65,000 miles). While cold, I do have some of the 'drone' that bothers some members but it goes away when warm. No chuggle.

I don't want the TCM firmware upgrade because I love the shift & clutch engagment programming (it is not reversable). IMHO, GM engineers did great work on the AWD 5-speed/3.23 rear end ratio setup. It may not be good for MPG but I love the performance and shift-points.

turnne
12-04-10, 06:57 AM
Looking for some advice. I have a 2006 STS All wheel Drive. The vehicle had the "chuggle" issue and the issue was addressed via a reprogram (TSB). I recently took over driving the car from my wife and noticed a, we will call it a chuggle, when the vehicle was cold at around 40 mph (Something is still there). If feels as if the vehicle downshifts very "aggressively". I do not know if this happen because I take my foot off the gas at the same time the vehicle downshifts (I seem to remember cars with vacuum having issues in the past, the STS is probably not a vacuum type system. This does not happen all the time and I have been noticing it at different speeds. I did take it back to the dealer and they could find nothing wrong (go figure). Any suggestions and or similar issues?

Sounds like there may be a new Torque Converter in your future
They did the reprogram on mind...worked for a shortwhile..then started the "chuggle" again like so many others have reported on this forum

The next step was to replace the Torque converter...which they did under warranty. That fixed my problem

The next step...according to my dealer....was to do a transmission rebuild if that did n't work...something he said they did all the time on these cars as well as the SRX

Hopefully you are in warranty?

good luck

Warren

CJB
12-07-10, 07:07 PM
I had thought the TSB stated that if the reprogram did not work replace the Torque Converter. I took it in 3 months ago while in warranty, I am out of warranty now, would I still be covered? What is I do nothing at all. Will it eventually lead to catastrophic failure? I will give the car back to my wife and drive the Sierra.

EChas3
12-07-10, 08:52 PM
Persuasion is an art form. You have some facts in your favor. Become an artist. If you can't 'sell' to the dealer's service manager, convince the zone manager. You need a patron. You really don't want to foot the whole bill.