: extended warranty suggestions

moe d
12-03-10, 11:37 AM
I just purchased a 2008 STS AWD with 59k miles. I'm looking to get a extended warranty. However it's hard to find any good ones online and try to avoid the common warranty scam. Has anyone had good luck with a particular company?? Need suggestions as I dont want to become of of the many dis-satisfied people.

Thanks!!

BaTu
12-03-10, 01:32 PM
Do a search, there are LOTS of discussions about this.....

My thinking is, Go GMMP if you can. I had an aftermarket warranty, for my old STS, from Warranty Direct and they treated me fairly (I spent 1,200 got back 6,000)

moe d
12-03-10, 01:59 PM
just checked out warranty direct, they are 4-5 grand for 4 years! wow, thats a bit expensive huh??

BaTu
12-03-10, 03:52 PM
Yup it is, nothing that's going to give you good complete coverage on our "complex" cars is going to be cheap though.....

Ask he dealer about what they have for available. I went GMPP because not only was it going to be easier to get repairs approved, but it cost a little less to boot!

EChas3
12-03-10, 05:07 PM
Some members have had the joyful surprise to find their car had CPO. Get your VIN run if you haven't, just to be sure.

torogt
12-04-10, 11:03 AM
I would also like to get an extended warranty for the 2006 STS AWD that i just purchased with 87K miles. My credit union offered a warranty for about 2500.00 for 4 years and I wish i would have taken it but I figured since I do all my own mechanic work that I wouldnt need it. Then I realized later how expensive parts are for my car and It wont be the easiest car to work on.

txbest1980
12-04-10, 11:28 AM
i just bought an 05STS with 66K on the clock and got a 4 year 48,000 mile warranty for a little over $1500 through my credit union. it covers everything except for the minuscule things like window regulator, seat motors...i didnt go for the package that covered those parts just for the simple fact that I own a CTS also and everything is almost the same and I have already swapped most of those parts out on my CTS and no the actually cost of the parts and labor...

BaTu
12-04-10, 01:41 PM
it covers everything except for the minuscule things like window regulator, seat motors....

Those exceptions are often the Most expensive things to repair. You want to be sure the electronics are ALL covered. You know what the ACC head alone goes for? How different the car would be without the Nav/Radio/DIC unit ;)

I wouldn't scrimp, these cars are Very Complex and Very Expensive to repair & maintain.....

txbest1980
12-04-10, 05:04 PM
Those exceptions are often the Most expensive things to repair. You want to be sure the electronics are ALL covered. You know what the ACC head alone goes for? How different the car would be without the Nav/Radio/DIC unit ;)

I wouldn't scrimp, these cars are Very Complex and Very Expensive to repair & maintain.....

i do agree, but yet i have the ability to repair and replace these parts and i usually find these parts for the fraction of what the stealership charges. so it works for me

BaTu
12-04-10, 06:32 PM
i do agree, but yet i have the ability to repair and replace these parts and i usually find these parts for the fraction of what the stealership charges. so it works for me

No, no, no, you're not getting me. I can fix almost anything. And I'm not talking Brake Jobs and Water Pumps, I'd change carrier brgs or pull a head without thinking twice about it ;)

I guess you don't have Adaptive Cruise Control, the head unit is $2,500 and yea, me too, I can get it wholesale but for what $1,800? :D And I'm still going to have a dealership with the equipment to align it!

I'd think there's not a whole lot, electronics wise, you'd be able to swap between an STS and your CTS either.... THATS what I pay for a warranty for. The Electronic components that I really can't fix (and I'm as adept with a soldering iron as I am with a wrench ;) ) and whos' replacement costs I only have a limited amount of control over.

txbest1980
12-04-10, 08:14 PM
No, no, no, you're not getting me. I can fix almost anything. And I'm not talking Brake Jobs and Water Pumps, I'd change carrier brgs or pull a head without thinking twice about it ;)

I guess you don't have Adaptive Cruise Control, the head unit is $2,500 and yea, me too, I can get it wholesale but for what $1,800? :D And I'm still going to have a dealership with the equipment to align it!

I'd think there's not a whole lot, electronics wise, you'd be able to swap between an STS and your CTS either.... THATS what I pay for a warranty for. The Electronic components that I really can't fix (and I'm as adept with a soldering iron as I am with a wrench ;) ) and whos' replacement costs I only have a limited amount of control over.

i dont think we are understanding each other here...for one, there is not much if any part on the CTS that will fit on a STS. what i said was, i have already changed them out on my CTS, so I know what i am getting myself into when i am changing them out if needed on the STS.

as far as having the adaptive cruise control, i do not have that. so i do not need to worry about having to get a tech 2 machine to align it and all that good stuff. but if it were the case, then i would have obviously chosen a different warranty coverage. that is why i stated the warranty i purchased, was the right one for me.

prospec636
02-24-11, 06:24 PM
Has anyone ever heard of/or used Direct Buy warranty? Tough to find info online because everyone gets bashed. I just picked up a Platinum Elite policy, 4yr, 100,000 miles, 0 deductable, that covers everything except normal wear and tear items/maintenence/cosmetic/exhaust systems. I am aware of what the BBB says and I take that with a grain of salt. Looking for actual experiences.

Saila22
02-24-11, 11:27 PM
I did a direct buy about 6 mos ago, coverage you described for $2k. So far have not used it. Did a TON of research, called them at least 15 times asking questions, very polite, knowledgable, and pleasant.

DitkaFan
02-25-11, 04:18 PM
Some members have had the joyful surprise to find their car had CPO. Get your VIN run if you haven't, just to be sure.

Where do you "get your VIN" run to see if it has CPO?

EChas3
03-01-11, 12:03 AM
Any GM Dealer

turnne
03-01-11, 07:47 AM
just checked out warranty direct, they are 4-5 grand for 4 years! wow, thats a bit expensive huh??

That doesn't surprise me
And honestly..its very likely that type of money( or more) would be spend on repairs in a 4 year period

I would say my car has had about $3500 worth of warranty work in the 2 years I have owned it

And I haven't even had some of the typical problems noted at the beginning of this thread

Warren

Frikiton
03-04-11, 09:34 AM
So I should try to get GMPP first if not Warranty Direct?

Mike Jones
04-05-11, 03:03 AM

As noted in the previous post, there are a lot of scams on the Internet for extended auto warranties but there are some great companies too. First, you want to make sure that the company you're considering has an "A" rating with A.M. Best. Next, make sure that they are the 'insurer' (not re-insurance). Next you want the company to be administrator (not a third party call center located halfway across the world). There is more to consider but these are some of the more important things. For more information, see http://www.extended-vehicle-warranty.com/best-extended-auto-warranty.html. Our price for the 2008 STS with 59,000 miles mentioned in the previous post is $2410 for 48 months and 48,000 additional miles on the odometer. This is for Platinum named exclusion coverage (commonly called bumper-to-bumper). This plan covers virtually all of the vehicle’s mechanical and electrical components except DVD player, GPS, backup camera (special electronics). There is a $200 surcharge to include these items. There is a $100 deductible per visit but you can get a $0 deductible for $250 extra. We are auto-pom.com. Our plans are backed and administered by Mercury Insurance Group.

chazglenn3
04-06-11, 09:17 PM
I chose Nation Warranty. I got their Preferred package that covers almost everything for 24 months/24,000 miles with a $100 deductible foe $2567. They have an A+ rating and are accredited with the Better Business Bureau. www.nwarranty.com