: 1st Day After warranty expires

AirForce81
12-03-10, 02:25 AM
My CPO '05 warranty expired on 30 Nov 2010. Now wouldn't you know that my starter goes out on 1 Dec 2010 :banghead: Now I call caddy road side asst and have 2 pay $75 for the tow and $480 for a new starter...1 DAY AFTER MY WARRANY EXPIRED!! Needless to say I am a bit angry. My check engine light is coming on and my service advisor is saying he needs to get the car running to see what the light is about...now wouldnt the car not starting cause the engine light to come on...it never came on before the car would not start? He said the bad starter would not make the chk engine light come on...ANY TRUTH? STS owners...give me your full thoughts...bad or good.

hazcaddy
12-03-10, 08:11 AM
For them to check the codes shouldn't be a wallet-busting experience.

BTW your experience mirrored one I had some years ago when the day after the warranty expired on a Chrysler [product, the radiator blew. Dealer of course said "tough!"

My warranty expires next Saturday, can't wait to see what will fall off / blow up on the Sunday.

bbshriver
12-03-10, 08:51 AM
Having the starter fail could cause a CEL for a variety of reasons, but not necessarily. The bad starter itself would probably not cause the problem, but I'm not really sure.

If it was never on before I'd imagine there's no additional problems.

SlickCityStan
12-03-10, 08:55 AM
when you say check engine light- are you refering to the idiot light that looks like a little engine? If you are maybe just the fact that you have a starter problem. I had a no start problem and the same light came on. I would also check out an aftermarket extended warranty there are a few decent ones out there just do your research and pay attention to the exclusions!

BaTu
12-03-10, 10:00 AM
NEVER let your Warranty Expire! ;)

The older it gets the more you need it. Don't stop now!

caddyfat2
12-03-10, 03:52 PM
NEVER let your Warranty Expire! ;)

The older it gets the more you need it. Don't stop now!

Very good advice Batu and I agree with it.

AirForce81
12-03-10, 11:15 PM
HazCaddy...I wish you the best of luck! Got my car back today and they said the "little engine light" was nothing. Got out of there with $460 less in my wallet but all in all I know things could have been much worse. Batu or SlickCityStan...is there any good aftermarket extended warranty's off the top of your head you would recommend?

BaTu
12-04-10, 12:54 PM
The problem is, once you let your warranty expire you've put a big target on your back :(

Nobody wants to take-on problems that may have arisen once you were out of coverage. Otherwise we'd all go without any coverage and then wait to get covered only once we needed it and the cost of repair exceeded the cost of a warranty!

Taking on an "unknown" is going o cost you much more than if you'd not had the lapse (so they knew any issues would have been taken care of before they took on the responsibility for your car)

I recommended Warranty Direct as a good company I'd dealt with before. BUT Be Aware 99% of the companies that offer coverage on any car (you've heard the ads "less than 10yrs old & under 200K mi") are SCAMMERS!!!! They will take your money and find excuses to not pay for very much :(

DO NOT EVER LET YOUR COVERAGE EXPIRE!!!!!

KRSTS
12-04-10, 01:13 PM
Good advice:bouncy:worship::worship::worship:

RippyPartsDept
12-04-10, 01:25 PM
There's lots of good threads (and recent ones too) about extended warranties that i've seen recently