: Lincoln steals Caddy designer

hueterm
12-02-10, 11:34 AM
http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2010/12/01/ford-hires-cadillac-designer-max-wolff-to-revamp-lincoln/

Hopefully this guy will bring back the snowflake grille...

Jesda
12-02-10, 07:15 PM
I can see this happening a lot -- talent leaving GM and Chrysler and moving on to growing organizations like Ford, Hyundai, and Nissan. People want to advance their careers, and you can't become captain of the ship if its sinking.

drewsdeville
12-02-10, 08:17 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/GM+Chrysler+Add+2000+Jobs+Mostly+in+Michigan/article20285.htm

Profit enables growth. Hopefully the trend continues for GM and they eventually get to the point where they can really focus on widespread growth.

Jesda
12-02-10, 08:52 PM
Michigan is hurting badly. They could use a boost.

hueterm
12-02-10, 08:58 PM
They will get one when you move into town....

Jesda
12-02-10, 09:13 PM
With 15% unemployment (and rising) I bet there's a 100:1 ratio of qualified applicants to jobs there. I might be better off in an MBA program for 2-3 years. :/

ThumperPup
12-04-10, 10:07 PM
i was working for GM Card Services in the HP building the old EDS in Pontiac MI for about 2 years i was Second Shift Manager of the GM Rewards Card Program
it was bad enought when i got hired for that job i think there where 230 aplicants that qulified for the job i was told there was 1000 aplicants for the position period and only 4 where hired at the time of wich they over hired by 50 persond a whole lousy 2 lol i was one who kept it this is when it was EDS then HP bought EDS and moved there office from Lancing Mi to Pontiac and about 3 months after training there ppl my entire team got laid off that stinking sucks
so talk about jobs in mi lol

Sandy
12-12-10, 03:48 PM
GM, Chrysler & Ford are being killed by all of the brands from across the pond.
Among many groups of Americans, it's not "cool" to buy American. LOOK at tall the Japanesse nameplates on thr road, then add in to the quation the BMWs, the Audis, the VWs anf the Mercedes sold. Then add in the Mitsubitshis and Volvos & and and it's a wonder you see any Domestics on the roads.

(But, not in my driveway! A Caddy, A Lincolm & a Jeep/

orconn
12-12-10, 04:21 PM
Well, Sandy, now that Detroit are producing some well made, attractive cars maybe we will see more American cars on the road. As for me, I wouldn't mind replacing my '95 Seville STS with another American car, but, to date, I haven't seen anything that I like as well. Maybe when we get through the current high side, small window fad in design, something that tickles my fancy will come along! Till then I quess it's just the two Sevilles in the garage!

Jesda
12-12-10, 10:01 PM
When the Seville finally kicks the bucket, I'd be very open to a 2006 DTS.

Florian
12-13-10, 12:33 PM
they can have him....Arts and Science sucks.

F

runthecoast
12-15-10, 11:00 AM
No surprise

drewsdeville
12-15-10, 04:28 PM
Ever wonder what the other side thinks about this? Lulz. I ran into this on accident while catching up here.

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2193840#Post2193840

8th Day
12-15-10, 07:05 PM
Ever wonder what the other side thinks about this? Lulz. I ran into this on accident while catching up here.

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2193840#Post2193840

I think you lose your right to critique vehicle design when you buy a car built upon Ford's panther platform. :shifty

drewsdeville
12-15-10, 08:06 PM
Shhh. That doesn't say much about our resident b/d-body members!

Stingroo
12-15-10, 08:10 PM
Visually, at least to me, the b/d bodies looked better than the Panther cars throughout their entire lives.

But this is a horse that's been beaten past the point of death.

More to the point of the original thread: current Lincolns are HIDEOUS, so by taking Cadillacs former designer, I feel as if FoMoCo just said "Well, it can't get any worse from here..."

Aron9000
12-16-10, 11:16 AM
Shhh. That doesn't say much about our resident b/d-body members!

Hey, the GM cars have had it all over Ford in terms of styling IMO. Well except maybe for the base 90's Caprice, those were pretty ugly.

dkozloski
12-16-10, 12:57 PM
In one notorious case, Ford stole a transmission engineer away from Chevrolet that had purportably designed the automatic transmissions used by Jim Hall in his Chaparral series of sports cars. It turned out that Chevrolet got wind of the scheme and fooled Ford into hiring away a horrible dud engineer that they were trying to get rid of. The result was the transmission in the Ford GT40 "J" car seizing at 190MPH and the death of famous racing driver Ken Miles. The real irony was that the transmission used by Jim Hall was an ordinary PowerGlide.

Jesda
12-16-10, 02:09 PM
Hah! Cool little piece of trivia on the GT40's transmission.

orconn
12-16-10, 02:59 PM
In one notorious case, Ford stole a transmission engineer away from Chevrolet that had purportably designed the automatic transmissions used by Jim Hall in his Chaparral series of sports cars. It turned out that Chevrolet got wind of the scheme and fooled Ford into hiring away a horrible dud engineer that they were trying to get rid of. The result was the transmission in the Ford GT40 "J" car seizing at 190MPH and the death of famous racing driver Ken Miles. The real irony was that the transmission used by Jim Hall was an ordinary PowerGlide.

I remember when Ken Miles was killed at Riverside (RIR) testing the GT-40 but had never heard the story about the transmission being the cause of the accident. I thought the accident was caused by aerodynamic instability. Riverside International Raceway was know as a dangerous course and in fact reconfigured in the late sixties. Drivers Parnelli Jones, A.J. Foyt and Dr Lou Selle were all seriously injured in wrecks at RIR. I knew all three of these drivers as they were good friends of my friend Frank Monise and we all would have dinner occasionally at races. In those days racing was so much more casual and the driver's not as famous outside of auto racing circles. I remember helping Jackie Icyxk (sp?) over a barrier fence after he crashed at Ontario International Raceway!

dkozloski
12-17-10, 12:42 AM
The transmission seized while the thing was flat out and it spun around and around. I was told that the Chevrolet people were as shocked as anyone and never intended any harm but they were glad to get rid of a dud without having to can him. Actually the "J" car was an advanced version of the GT 40 and was quite a bit different from the mid on back similar to the Ferrari "bread van". I heard the story from Chevy people so maybe they touched up the story to emphasize the trickery on their part. If memory serves me right it was quite a while before Ford went back to an automatic. This alone would seem to bolster the idea that the transmission was involved in the crash.

Jesda
12-17-10, 02:38 AM
People seeking employment in the auto industry will make Ford, Hyundai, and other stable and well-operated firms their first choice. This means GM and Chrysler get the leftovers. Few will make companies with damaged reputations their first pick. Talent goes to the talented organizations.