: crown molding headaches

OffThaHorseCEO
12-01-10, 10:51 PM
Since theres a thread about tools, i figure we have at least one handyman on our boards. Id love some advice right about now.

i have some big crown molding that id like to use to make a mantle for a fireplace. Luckily we bought alot f it because i cant get he angles right. Part of the problem im sure is that im using a circular saw and not a miter saw.

Is it possible to do this with a circular saw? Should i give up and seek out someone with a miter saw?

creeker
12-01-10, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=OffThaHorseCEO;2431636]Since theres a thread about tools, i figure we have at least one handyman on our boards. Id love some advice right about now.

i have some big crown molding that id like to use to make a mantle for a fireplace. Luckily we bought alot f it because i cant get he angles right. Part of the problem im sure is that im using a circular saw and not a miter saw.

Is it possible to do this with a circular saw? Should i give up and seek out someone with a miter saw?[/QUOT

Usually when you buy a circular saw there is a t-shaped slide accessory supplied that will adjust to all angles,it fits in a channel on the saw base and you push it through the blade, one of the best tools I ever bought was a miter saw, one of those tools that you dont realize how handy they are till you buy one, also a tip on cutting miters, place the wood in the saw in the same position of the installation.

EcSTSatic
12-01-10, 11:20 PM
If you are strapped for cash and can't buy a motorized compound miter saw then buy a miter box and back saw setup. They are preset for compound 45s.

Remember to cut crown molding upside down in your jig.

orconn
12-01-10, 11:47 PM
Along with the mitre saw or mitre box and saw you will also need a coping saw to cut away some of the wood for a perfect fit.

brk
12-02-10, 07:08 AM
There is no way I would try that with just a circular saw.

For a mantle you're doing outside corners, not inside corners (I assume), so you shouldn't have to worry about coping anything.

When you get a miter saw, most of them will have markings showing where to set the angles so that you can cut the molding flat, but I just made a little jog for mine that let's me cut the moldings doing only a miter and not a miter/bevel cut.

codewize
12-02-10, 08:31 AM
Buy yourself a nice compound miter. If you do this type of work often consider a slide miter as well.

Crown is not fun to work with since you're always cutting a compound angle. With the right saw and a little patience you can do anything but you don't even want to attempt that with a circ saw.

OffThaHorseCEO
12-02-10, 10:04 AM
well thats the thing, i DONT do this kind of work all the time. Its not that i cant afford a miter saw, i just dont like the idea of spending money on stuff ill use one time.

I think home depot has a rent a tool program, but depending on how much that costs i might be better off buying a used saw from craigslist, there are plenty up there i imagine from guys like me who bought one for a simple task and then got tired of seeing it sit there doing nothing...

another option would be to take it to the lowes or home depot guys to cut, but, most of them cant even cut a straight line so i imagine compund angles would be too much for them. im not trying to diss all home depot/lowes employees either, just the ones who helped my gf out. every single piece of trim and board she bought came cut crooked or at the wrong angle

OffThaHorseCEO
12-02-10, 10:05 AM
maybe ill crown the whole apartment and use that as justification to buy the miter saw haha, the landlord let us move into a basically 98% finished apartment and is paying to finish it.

EcSTSatic
12-02-10, 10:20 AM
I would never buy one but Harbor Freight has a 10" saw (http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=miter+saw) on sale for $75. I think I payed closer to $400 for my Dewalt

http://www.blackanddecker.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/DEWALT/TOOLS/LARGE/7/DW716_1.jpg

OffThaHorseCEO
12-03-10, 04:05 PM
im stuck at work so i sent my gf to home depot again
home depot wants 40 to rent the damn thing.
on top of that they instructed her to go back and use the circular saw...

orconn
12-03-10, 04:45 PM
So much for useful help from the "friendly, knowledgeable guys at Home Depot!" Get an experienced molding guy from Craig's list and get it done right! Without someone to show you how its' done you will most likely end up with a poor job. Cut your losses now and get a pro to help you out.

OffThaHorseCEO
12-04-10, 10:24 AM
ended up cutting some triangle "ends" out ot some spare board we had left over. cut it to fit the cavity between the backboard,shelf and molding. of course the cut wasnt perfect so we perfected it with wood filler and wood glue.

Today my gf will sand it smooth and paint it. we'll both be glad to be done it

the recluse
12-04-10, 04:38 PM
up cutting some triangle "ends" out ot some spare board we had left over. cut it to fit the cavity between the backboard,shelf and molding. of course the cut wasnt perfect so we perfected it with wood filler and wood glue.

:nono: a miter box and a small hand saw would have done the job $20 total from any home improvement store. The miter box is usually plastic with pre-cut angles in the side that you follow with a small hand saw. It's the top picture on page 1 here: http://www.kelleher.com/documents/MiterCuts.pdf

Me, I use a $1000 setup for the jobsite and hate it when I have to go old school :annoyed:

OffThaHorseCEO
12-04-10, 05:29 PM
dang, well, i think it worked out ok. if we had used crown on the ends it would have flared out and would have thrown things off a bit. Here are a couple of pictures

this is an inbetween of before and after. We built those end shelves out of MDF, and my gf painted them while i was at work. the fire place was exactly like that when we moved in. the walls have a thick layer of spackle over them, i hate it, but it is what it is.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/utf-8BUm9ja2Zpc2gtMjAxMDExMjAtMDAwNzQuanBn.jpg

side shelves painted, mantle built, mounted and painted, stockings hung. its not perfect, but i like it.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/utf-8BUm9ja2Zpc2gtMjAxMDEyMDQtMDAzNDAuanBn.jpg

side view, this is where the improv happened. My gf painted it today while i was at work, some of the white paint got onto the spackle/wall. a small brush will fix that tonight, also, you can see where the thick layer of spackle affects the way things come together, namely where the flat board meets the ribbed board. i hate it, it looks ugly. BUT, noone should be that close to my sh*t anyway so ill let it ride.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/utf-8BUm9ja2Zpc2gtMjAxMDEyMDQtMDAzMzYuanBn.jpg

the shelving on the side will hold our XBOX360, PS3, Wii, and all the games for it as well as the excess cables. My 42" plasma is mounted above it and ive run all the cables along the wall down into the back of the shelves. we have an ottoman which opens up and has all the controllers and tv remote. im so glad to be done.

If anyone would like to see more pics of the whole thing ill be glad to take a couple. Also, i wouldnt mind any criticism

OffThaHorseCEO
12-04-10, 05:37 PM
by the way, in the first pic, the white lines between the shelves and fireplace is the crudely cut sheetrock from whoever put in that fireplace. also, i understand everything isnt always perfectly symmetrical or perfectly angled in a building, but in this case, everything is very wrong. if you stand in front of the fireplace, you can literally see the left wall of it curve to the left as it rises. for that reason, we werent able to get the shelves to fit against the wall as tightly as we wanted

creeker
12-04-10, 05:42 PM
dang, well, i think it worked out ok. if we had used crown on the ends it would have flared out and would have thrown things off a bit. Here are a couple of pictures

this is an inbetween of before and after. We built those end shelves out of MDF, and my gf painted them while i was at work. the fire place was exactly like that when we moved in. the walls have a thick layer of spackle over them, i hate it, but it is what it is.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/utf-8BUm9ja2Zpc2gtMjAxMDExMjAtMDAwNzQuanBn.jpg

side shelves painted, mantle built, mounted and painted, stockings hung. its not perfect, but i like it.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/utf-8BUm9ja2Zpc2gtMjAxMDEyMDQtMDAzNDAuanBn.jpg

side view, this is where the improv happened. My gf painted it today while i was at work, some of the white paint got onto the spackle/wall. a small brush will fix that tonight, also, you can see where the thick layer of spackle affects the way things come together, namely where the flat board meets the ribbed board. i hate it, it looks ugly. BUT, noone should be that close to my sh*t anyway so ill let it ride.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/utf-8BUm9ja2Zpc2gtMjAxMDEyMDQtMDAzMzYuanBn.jpg

the shelving on the side will hold our XBOX360, PS3, Wii, and all the games for it as well as the excess cables. My 42" plasma is mounted above it and ive run all the cables along the wall down into the back of the shelves. we have an ottoman which opens up and has all the controllers and tv remote. im so glad to be done.

If anyone would like to see more pics of the whole thing ill be glad to take a couple. Also, i wouldnt mind any criticism

I think it looks fine, your open to critiicism, so a longer "flat board" I think would have looked better, it's still a great improvement.

OffThaHorseCEO
12-04-10, 05:50 PM
I think it looks fine, your open to critiicism, so a longer "flat board" I think would have looked better, it's still a great improvement.

thanks. by flatboard do you mean the topmost board? the one the speaker is sitting on?

that would look better, and it would actually work with properly cut crown molding. maybe i can re-do it in the spring.

creeker
12-04-10, 06:59 PM
thanks. by flatboard do you mean the topmost board? the one the speaker is sitting on?

that would look better, and it would actually work with properly cut crown molding. maybe i can re-do it in the spring.

Yes, I used the term flatboard because that's what you called it, for a first attempt you did fine, when I first started doing miters I almost went crazy, the
best advice I had (like I said before) is to place the wood in saw or miter box the way it would be installed and then cut it, I also bought a miter saw.

the recluse
12-04-10, 09:40 PM
Honestly, I would have brought the cabinets higher and further out; covering the fluted board and have the top shelf stop in line with the top shelf of the mantle. This way it gives the effect of the mantle going all the way across and incorporating the cabinets.

Nice job all in all. :thumbsup:

As a side note, the first pic is so grainy at first glance it looks like a dog laid a really big deuce in your fireplace.:sneaky:

Stingroo
12-04-10, 09:47 PM
:lol: Wow, it kinda does.

Looks pretty good. I like The Recluse's suggestion too. Maybe something to consider when you rework the area down the line. 100% improvement and then some over what it looked like before though. :)

EChas3
12-05-10, 07:52 PM
Merry Christmas!

OffThaHorseCEO
12-06-10, 10:28 AM
Honestly, I would have brought the cabinets higher and further out; covering the fluted board and have the top shelf stop in line with the top shelf of the mantle. This way it gives the effect of the mantle going all the way across and incorporating the cabinets.

Nice job all in all. :thumbsup:

As a side note, the first pic is so grainy at first glance it looks like a dog laid a really big deuce in your fireplace.:sneaky:
i though about that after the shelves were built and after we had the mantle placement lined up. i plan on eventually rebuilding the cabinets and making them taller but they're as wide/deep as they can be. you cant see in the picture but we built the shelves to fit in a notch in the wall, so the way the wall is structured, if we want to keep the shelf in those boundaries, we can only go higher not deeper/wider. heres a better pic after installing wire channeling which is getting painted tonight. (grainy again, stupid phone has a 5 megapixel cam with flash and i didnt even realize it was set to no flash and 640x480 resolution...)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/Offthahorseceo/IMG_20101206_010206.jpg

:lol: Wow, it kinda does.

Looks pretty good. I like The Recluse's suggestion too. Maybe something to consider when you rework the area down the line. 100% improvement and then some over what it looked like before though. :)

Thanks! Yea we do plan on reworking it eventually. right now I'm just glad to be almost done so i can chill for a bit haha. The important part was to make it presentable for when fam and friends come over. mission accomplished i think

Stingroo
12-06-10, 11:10 AM
Mission accomplished indeed. Since... you know, there isn't exposed sheetrock anymore. LOL