: Best way to mate the engine to the transmission, flowers and wine?

jimsbox
12-01-10, 04:02 PM
I have the trans in the cradle supported by a jack and the rear trans mount loosely secured. I have a cherry picker garage crane to place the engine. I am thinking of greasing the boss on the torque converter and the locator pins on the engine. I have to do this alone and had quite a time splitting the old trans and engine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am about done replacing the brake hard lines and then I will be ready to do it.

Thanks for whatever you can offer...
Jim

jimsbox
12-05-10, 09:14 AM
Looks like you are on your own laddy. Damn the torpedos and full speed ahead!

stoveguyy
12-09-10, 04:34 PM
i pulled my motor out the top. did not realize the trans had dropped slightly when i yanked the motor. noticed the pass side cv joint was laying on frame rail. hmm? i think i put a small jack under trans to lift it a bit and dropped in motor. a little push/pull on motor and it went right in. i was somewhat surprised how easy it went. 1 man job also.

jimsbox
12-10-10, 06:02 PM
I managed it ok with 5 or 6 ratchet straps, floor jack and shop crane. Used a drift punch to align one hole then started 2 others with extra long bolts, from then on it was a piece of cake. I took out the flexplate/torque converter bolts with a flare crowsfoot socket, it was easier than trying to go through the bottom. How did you put you bolts back in, top or bottom?

Thanks for your input.

Jim

stoveguyy
12-13-10, 08:12 PM
i did the TC bolts from the bottom. i had no trouble reaching them with box wrench.

jimsbox
12-14-10, 02:58 AM
Sorry, I did not finish my thought on my previous post. I went through the starter hole and it worked well with a flare crowsfoot on my torque wrench.

tateos
12-22-10, 07:36 PM
Torque wrench? What's that? I think I only used mine for the initial torque for the head bolts and the balancer bolt.

98eldo32v
12-28-10, 10:09 PM
I'm on the verge of removing a vin "9" motor out of a 98 sts to be the "donor" engine for my eldorado.

The things I've notice that were a bit of an "issue" of you didn't have small hands.

The coolant crossver, especially the rear side near the shifter linkage. Doable, but if you have medium to large hands, keep the band aids handy. The right side engine/transmission bracket. The one that takes two bolts and a nut to remove. Especially the nut. Either medium to long extensions with a swivel on the socket or possibly a "curved" wrench to loosen the nut. The rest seems pretty much straight forward.

I do have experience removing fwd engines, but this one is my first northstar. Once I remove the right side motor mount bracket, (I can see all the bolts clearly) all I have left to loosen it the front motor mount, the transmission to engine bolts, the torque converter bolts and remove the harmonic balancer. She's coming out the top. I have plenty of room....

I'm planning to get and engine "tilter" to attach to the hoist, just in case a need a little angle.

tateos
12-29-10, 01:11 PM
I will always have a hard time understanding why people take the engine out the top...well, maybe not a hard time understanding why, since I started out by trying to do that; I got to the point where it became damn near impossible, so I ended up dropping the cradle - that seemed SO much easier to me, that I would never try to pull the engine out the top

98eldo32v
12-29-10, 03:40 PM
It's probably been documented before, yet the time used in taking apart the brake lines, steering coupler, upper strut mounts to chassis, various electrical connections and etc, THEN dropping the cradle to get to the engine.

To me it's like dislocating your jaw to remove a tooth. I'd rather spend the time on the problem area.

The service manual recommends dropping the cradle, but the service manual is normally for dealership personnel and equipment.

The service manual does list pulling it out the top as another option........

jimsbox
12-29-10, 08:02 PM
Having taken mine out and reinstalled it I think you are over simplifying how easy you expect it to come out the top. My trans locator dowels were corroded and sticking the trans to the engine and it was difficult to separate them even with the cradle out of the car, but good luck, hope it is as easy as you expect. Keep us posted.

98eldo32v
12-30-10, 05:10 AM
I will definitely keep you posted....Good luck with your vehicle