: Woohoo! The "G8" isn't quite dead yet! Enthusiasts rejoice!

Stingroo
12-01-10, 02:39 PM
http://www.lsxtv.com/news/confirmed-commodore-coming-back-to-america-rumor-as-12-chevelle/

orconn
12-01-10, 03:43 PM
Great news for Chevy devotees! But it really should be called something other than the "Chevelle," Something more aggressive like the "Austrette SS" or maybe "Darwin Adder Saloon GT" or just plain "Thunderoo!"

Stingroo
12-01-10, 04:00 PM
I'd drive a Thunderoo. :thumbsup:

But seriously. I'm not so sure. I think Chevelle is the perfect name for it. Give us a Ute and call it El Camino and I'm a happy camper. :)

We'll see what the execs come up with.

gdwriter
12-01-10, 04:21 PM
Considering the size of the car, it should be an Impala. With the Malibu, there's no need for the FWD Impala, and the W-Body has been around since I was in college. It's time to be retired. Of course, I also thought G8 was a dumb-ass name, and it should have been called the Bonneville.

Florian
12-01-10, 04:37 PM
I think the story of the 600+HP 4-door is much more interesting:

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/617-hp-holden-super-sedan-unveiled-at-australian-auto-show/

next CTS-V platform?

F

Stingroo
12-01-10, 05:05 PM
Hmm.. Impala would be a good name. It even shares the same platform (roughly) as the Caprice PPV. I hadn't thought of that, good call.

V-Eight
12-01-10, 05:33 PM
Very excite!

V-Eight
12-01-10, 05:35 PM
I think the story of the 600+HP 4-door is much more interesting:

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/617-hp-holden-super-sedan-unveiled-at-australian-auto-show/

next CTS-V platform?

F

Could we not just put a better supercharger on the 6.2?

Stingroo
12-01-10, 06:00 PM
That's a tuner's car though, F. That doesn't mean anything for the next V. No clue what that's going to ride on... hell, it's only been out for 3 years and people are thinking about replacements? >_>

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-01-10, 10:12 PM
Well well, it's about god damn time! GM is finally seeing the yellow brick road that was paved with the G8 and Chrysler's 300/Charger and knows, in full confidence, that people do want a full sized, RWD sports sedan, and that we're sick and tired of boring, V6 powered, FWD sedans. I think Chevelle is a perfect name for it too, as the original Chevelle was about the size of these too. Chevelle has a more muscular sound to it, whereas Impala reminds many of lowriders and milquetoast FWD sedans.

77CDV
12-01-10, 10:21 PM
we're sick and tired of boring, V6 powered, FWD sedans

*ahem*

:duck:

;)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-01-10, 10:45 PM
Mine's less boring, because it's got the Supercharger. :D

But anyways, yes I would put the Regal GS, and the GTP under the "boring, V6 powered FWD sedan" segment, because while nice and relatively fun/fast for what it is, it would be a lot more fun if it was RWD and V8 powered.

77CDV
12-01-10, 10:46 PM
^True that!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-01-10, 10:48 PM
Don't get me wrong. For GM in 1997, the GS/GTP was quite a revelation, but it's 2010 and times have really changed. I guess when I talk about a "fun midsized sedan", the car to shoot for would be the 5-Series.

77CDV
12-01-10, 10:54 PM
But hopefully less austere.

MauiV
12-01-10, 11:43 PM
First thing I would do is swap for the Holden front end and rid it of all Chevy badging

orconn
12-02-10, 12:25 AM
To me the name "Chevelle" conjures up an image of stripped down body with a large rather course V-8 that would go in a straight line OK, by woe unto it if it came to a corner. The kind of car young GI's bought with their year's pay from their trip to Vietnam. Just like the one a friend of mine bought when he got home. This new car is far more sophisticated (hopefully), but will undoubtedly have a price tag affordable only to those with more mature earning power!

MauiV
12-02-10, 12:31 AM
In another thread Ive already discussed my opinion of Chevy holding onto badges that should have died decades ago and do nothing but conjure up rust buckets and shitboxes to pretty much anyone under 40

orconn
12-02-10, 12:43 AM
^^^ To those of us who were in Australia in the '70's and '80's the name Holden and the logo for same don't hold a lot charm either!

Playdrv4me
12-02-10, 12:50 AM
Like a G8.

MauiV
12-02-10, 12:54 AM
An early prototype...

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/02%20cars/g8-impala-front-thumb-555x422.jpg

the Vauxhall version...

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/02%20cars/image_18529_0.jpg

The Holden....

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/02%20cars/picture0-020.jpg

The GXP and the front end that makes every Pontiac look like a 89 Grand Am....

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/02%20cars/Pontiac_G8_GXP_2009.jpg

hueterm
12-02-10, 01:19 AM
To me, the name Chevelle brings back images of the white trash burnouts circa 1988, driving a beat up primered up lifted Chevelle, while wearing shit kickers and wife beaters, out in the smoking corral when kids could still smoke in high school....

This thing needs to be the next Impala, and speaking of Impala, what is taking the current model's place?

Aron9000
12-02-10, 01:28 AM
Finally!!!!

Also, just call it a Chevrolet Commodore. I think its a cool name, and kind of plays up the Australian heritage of the car. Lets face it, until the 300c/Charger came around, we in America never had a MODERN, affordable, RWD V8 car in this country. Australia has had that type of car for 20 years now, and maybe we should put a modern name on the damn car. Names like Impala, Chevelle, Caprice all recall big floaty land yatchs or rental cars for most people, not a modern high performance sedan.

ryannel2003
12-02-10, 01:41 AM
Guys don't look too much into this. This car has been approved and killed so many times as a Chevrolet it gets to the point where you look at the rumor and say "Oh, again?". I liked the G8, but if Chevrolet is gonna bring this car over it needs to have more modern features like Navigation and a upgraded interior. The next Impala is going to be on Epsilon II like the current LaCrosse so it can't be called that. I think Chevelle is the best name for the car.

pontiaced25
12-02-10, 01:44 AM
I love the G8, so I hope that this Chevy is only as good.

gdwriter
12-02-10, 01:56 AM
One reason Chevrolet brought back the Impala SS name in 1994 was that it still has a lot of brand equity. And the 1994-96 Impala SS has a big hit and still has a large following. The 1955 Chrysler 300 was probably the first real muscle car, but it wasn't cheap. The '61 and '62 Impala SS with the 409 made muscle affordable before the GTO brought it to the mid-size platform. Go look on eBay, and you'll find an Impala SS from the Sixties — and sometimes even a standard Impala — still commands a premium price, often higher than the same year Cadillac.

I like that Chevrolet still uses longstanding model names. I think Pontiac foolishly abandoned its heritage with dull names like G8 and G6 when it had names like Bonneville. And while I love the CTS, the name means nothing to me. I never refer to my car as an SLS; it is a Seville and I even replaced the SLS badge on the trunk with a Seville emblem from the export version. Buick has a great car in the LaCrosse, but it's a horrible name. Nor do I understand why Buick abandoned the LeSabre. It's not like they were really going to win over younger buyers with the Lucerne, and for nearly 20 years, the LeSabre had been one of the best-selling, if not the best-selling full-size car in America.

ryannel2003
12-02-10, 02:00 AM
I agree completely. I go between calling my car Seville or STS, sometimes both (but that usually takes too long). If I had it my way I would call the car Impala, but I think it's pretty much agreed on that it's moving to Epsilon II. I for one like the current Impala. It's getting old but still a very nice driving, nice looking car for the masses. My grandfathers '06 SS hauls ass and is very comfortable.

Playdrv4me
12-02-10, 02:05 AM
I don't care if it's a TS or LS, I always refer to the previous gen Sevilles as "Seville". However, for some odd reason I can't fathom calling the Sigma version a Seville. With all of that car's angularity and technology, a three letter nomenclature seems somehow appropriate.

Destroyer
12-02-10, 09:45 AM
Great news for Chevy devotees! But it really should be called something other than the "Chevelle," Something more aggressive like the "Austrette SS" or maybe "Darwin Adder Saloon GT" or just plain "Thunderoo!"The name "Chevelle" is probably wrong for this car much like the name "Charger" is wrong for the current car but these are names that evoke emotions and will help sell the cars. This car is a good performer but it just doesn't look muscular like a '70 Chevelle did. :cool2:

Stingroo
12-02-10, 09:49 AM
The product line makes sense though. They've got this, there's a coupe variant, the ute (El Camino) and I could be wrong but I think they even make an estate out of this car.