: Is Cadillac thrifting out rain-sensing wipers?

Lord Cadillac
12-01-10, 12:26 PM
Yes or no? And if so - why?

Stingroo
12-01-10, 12:30 PM
From reading, a lot of people complain about them in the winter. They do seem to be a disappearing option though, perhaps a supplier issue?

Ranger
12-01-10, 02:40 PM
I find them to be a useless PITA. I am quit capable of adjusting the delay to my own liking. I really hate when they take control away from me by over engineering the simplest of tasks.

orconn
12-01-10, 02:58 PM
I agree with Ranger on gadgets that are really only useful as "sales floor" enticements and cost an arm and a leg to fix once the warranty runs out. I am much more interest in how a car feels while driving and performs on the road, than how it replaces my need to flick a switch or push a button.

Stingroo
12-01-10, 03:01 PM
Apparently truck owners pull the fuse for them and that gives them regular intermittent wipers.

Ranger
12-01-10, 03:07 PM
Rain-X replaces Rain-Sense for me. I use the mist function once in a while. At least they haven't taken THAT option away from me.............. yet.

Stingroo
12-01-10, 03:22 PM
I use the Rain-X bug deflecting fluid (the pink kind). It's great.

gdwriter
12-01-10, 03:30 PM
I love my RainSense wipers, and they've been getting a workout the past few days. In Western Oregon at least, the intensity of the rain can vary considerably from one mile to the next, so I appreciate how the wipers adapt, and how I don't have to futz with the intermittent interval constantly, as I've had to do in the past. I do sometimes adjust the sensitivity of the sensor, which uses the same dial as a conventional intermittent interval, but mostly it's a set-it-and-forget-it system like automatic climate control.

drewsdeville
12-01-10, 03:32 PM
I'm with ranger on the gadgets as well. Most of my cars have had twilight sentinel, and I always turn it off. I like to be in control of my car. I'm quite capable of deciding when it's time to turn the lights on and I can sense rain very well...it's quite wet.

I don't find operating a few on/off switches to be an overwhelming task.

+1 on the RainX. You can almost remove your wipers completely when using the hand-applicated stuff. I find that the washer fluid supplement works, but not nearly as well.

Stingroo
12-01-10, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I use a combination of both. The hand stuff is AMAZING, but the bug deflecting fluid does wonders for Lovebug season (I HATE those f*cking things!)

gdwriter
12-01-10, 04:17 PM
I agree with Ranger on gadgets that are really only useful as "sales floor" enticements and cost an arm and a leg to fix once the warranty runs out. I am much more interest in how a car feels while driving and performs on the road, than how it replaces my need to flick a switch or push a button.I definitely put much more emphasis on how a car drives and performs over gadgets, but I do enjoy them. When I was a kid, one of my Dad's best friends had a '66 Lincoln Continental that I called the Magic Car because of all the power features that were rare on anything but luxury cars (you could get power windows and power seat on an Impala, but not many of them had it; ours certainly didn't).

I'm with ranger on the gadgets as well. Most of my cars have had twilight sentinel, and I always turn it off. I like to be in control of my car. I'm quite capable of deciding when it's time to turn the lights on and I can sense rain very well...it's quite wet.

I don't find operating a few on/off switches to be an overwhelming task.Sheesh, you guys make it sound like the car's taking over and if you use the automatic features, you're some mindless idiot.

I assure you I'm perfectly able to turn my headlights on and off, which I do when driving in fog, even though my car has DRLs. If I think it's dark enough for headlights and the Twilight Sentinel hasn't kicked it, then I turn my headlights on. Simple as that. I do, however, like that the headlights automatically come on when I turn on the wipers; I hate it when drivers don't turn on their headlights when it's raining.

This time of year, I have to do a lot of night driving in the rain. With the combination of glare from the wet pavement, plus oncoming headlights, I like that I can focus entirely on driving and not have to futz with the wipers. It's a distraction I don't need. Even directing my eyes toward the white line to the right, the glare can sometimes be briefly blinding.

RippyPartsDept
12-01-10, 05:21 PM
We recently switched from BG products to MOC and one of the items they offer is called "ClearView w/ Incredishield" that hardens over the windshield and has a rain-x style coating ... it supposedly lasts a lot longer than rain-x too -- and if you register you get a warranty against cracks and chips in your windshield

it costs like $30 to do (we haven't done one yet, and since my last coating of rain-x just stopped working i think i'm going to be our 'guinea pig')

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8546/imae.jpg

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/9648/imagex0.jpg

OffThaHorseCEO
12-01-10, 05:34 PM
I love my RainSense wipers, and they've been getting a workout the past few days. In Western Oregon at least, the intensity of the rain can vary considerably from one mile to the next, so I appreciate how the wipers adapt, and how I don't have to futz with the intermittent interval constantly, as I've had to do in the past. I do sometimes adjust the sensitivity of the sensor, which uses the same dial as a conventional intermittent interval, but mostly it's a set-it-and-forget-it system like automatic climate control.

i agree 100percent with this statement. After all these are luxury cars. these are get in and drive cars not get in and fiddle with controls cars. On my DTs i loved that i could hop in and everything but the driving was handled for me, seat was adjusted to my exact position as was the steering column, lights were turned on if necessary, and if it started raining, the wipers would "wipe" at the apporpriate speed. This made me enjoy my DRIVING experience more. I was disappointed to find out that the SRx did not have memory steering column or even power steering column, and didnt have RainSense wipers

billc83
12-01-10, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I use a combination of both. The hand stuff is AMAZING, but the bug deflecting fluid does wonders for Lovebug season (I HATE those f*cking things!)

How can you hate?

http://gardenerstips.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/herbie.jpg

V-Eight
12-01-10, 06:08 PM
Apparently truck owners pull the fuse for them and that gives them regular intermittent wipers.

Or you can just turn the knob and they become regular wipers, or do not all models have that?

ben.gators
12-01-10, 06:42 PM
Well, I can understand and accept the point that there are simple stuff that are over-engineered unnecessary. And I guess some of them can be disturbing. But these systems and options are the indicator of a luxury car! My rain-sensing wipers are working perfectly fine and it is fun to have them in the car...This options blows the mind of passengers that are not familiar with this system! :D Having a "Blondy" in front seat who shocks by observing the adaptive wipers and screams "Oh My God" is priceless! :D

slk230mb
12-01-10, 07:07 PM
My 08 STS-V is my first Cadillac with them, and I love them.

creeker
12-01-10, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=Stingroo;2431104]Apparently truck owners pull the fuse for them and that gives them regular intermittent wipers.[/QUOTe

Neither my intermittent or rain sensor features work on my 97 sts, maybe I"ll pull the rain sensor fuse and see what happens.

orconn
12-01-10, 07:39 PM
Well, I can understand and accept the point that there are simple stuff that are over-engineered unnecessary. And I guess some of them can be disturbing. But these systems and options are the indicator of a luxury car! My rain-sensing wipers are working perfectly fine and it is fun to have them in the car...This options blows the mind of passengers that are not familiar with this system! :D Having a "Blony" in front seat who shocks by observing the adaptive wipers and screams "Oh My God" is priceless! :D

Ok, Ok, I give up, what's a "Blony?"

ben.gators
12-01-10, 08:13 PM
Ok, Ok, I give up, what's a "Blony?"

Oops! 'd' is missing! Blondy! :D

creeker
12-01-10, 08:24 PM
Oops! 'd' is missing! Blondy! :D

what's a blondy ?.

hueterm
12-01-10, 08:51 PM
I really don't care much for them on the ETC. The only thing I don't like about the multifunction stalk is the twist mist function instead of an upward flick that you can do with both hands on the wheel, if there is a dedicated wiper stalk...

77CDV
12-01-10, 09:30 PM
Count me in the category that likes the Rainsense wipers (and twilight sentinel and cruise control, and the power trunk lid pull down and automatic parking brake release (before Cadillac inexpicably took those away) :(

Ranger
12-01-10, 09:53 PM
Twilight sensor is another story. I do like that feature. Haven't touched a headlight switch in decades. Not sure I could even find it if I needed it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-01-10, 09:54 PM
We recently switched from BG products to MOC.

Oh you son of a bitch! :D :p

(I'm the BG representative for Southeast MN) :D

Just out of curiosity, why did your company switch from BG to MOC? Price?

Anyways, back on topic, I had those rain sensing wipers on that S-Class of mine and I hated them. I didn't like the fact I was relying on a ten year old computer, with ten year old technology and 10 year old algorithms to determine how fast the intermittent wipers should work. It was even worse when my wiper blades wore, as they wouldn't wipe all the rain off my windshield and it would trigger my rainsense to work even faster, just making it even worse. Now before you jump on me and ask why I didn't just replace the wiper blades, here's my explanation. The wiper insert was built into the blade, and that was built into the arm, so to replace the wiper inserts like on a normal car, I had to replace the entire wiper arm, at $98 a side. M-B designed a revolutionary sort of wiper arm that could clear 98% of the windshield, but oh my god for expensive!

77CDV
12-01-10, 09:59 PM
The wiper insert was built into the blade, and that was built into the arm, so to replace the wiper inserts like on a normal car, I had to replace the entire wiper arm, at $98 a side.

OK, that's just stupid. I don't care how "efficient" it is in theory. The more I read of your time with the S, the more I'm glad I stick to American cars.

Jesda
12-01-10, 10:05 PM
I *love* Cadillac's implementation of rainsense. It was terrible on the BMW but works BEAUTIFULLY on the 98-04 Seville. I was really impressed. Its one of those features you didnt know you'd need until you get into a car that doesnt have it. And you can always just turn it off if you don't like it. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-01-10, 10:07 PM
All the headaches that car gave me were totally worth it, when I tell my kids and grandkids that at 20, I had an S-Class Mercedes. I've truly liked all the cars I've owned, but nothing gave me that smug sense of self satisfaction like that S-Class did when I flipped open the key as I was walking towards it and saw the tri-star, perched up on the end of the hood, glistening in the sun.

creeker
12-01-10, 10:24 PM
I *love* Cadillac's implementation of rainsense. It was terrible on the BMW but works BEAUTIFULLY on the 98-04 Seville. I was really impressed. Its one of those features you didnt know you'd need until you get into a car that doesnt have it. And you can always just turn it off if you don't like it. :)

How do you turn it off ?, I have a 97 sts, I looked for a fuse for it, but couldn't
find it.

Ranger
12-01-10, 10:30 PM
I'm not sure you can turn it off. That's my point. They have taken away your control.

ga_etc
12-01-10, 10:30 PM
I really like having the RainSense wipers on the ETC. It's one of those features, like heated seats, that when you first see it you think "Oh, how novel. I'll never use it though." Then you get in a car that doesn't have it after you've gotten used to it being there and you realize how spoiled you've become.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-01-10, 10:48 PM
I find novelty in manually adjusting my wipers for different rain levels. I do however miss the heated seats that my S320 and Roadmaster had.

EChas3
12-01-10, 10:56 PM
I love Rain-sense wipers. If they aren't available on a car I'll add them aftermarket. (I was headed that way on an Infinity FX35 when I feel for the STS.) It's a great convenience along with automatic headlights & high-beams.

If they discontinue the features, why buy Cadillac?

ga_etc
12-01-10, 11:01 PM
I like the availability of the features on the ETC, like the RainSense, heated seats, comprehensive DIC, StabiliTrac, speed sensative steering, and the like. All of that is very appropriate for such a car. At the same time I like how straight forward the Roadmaster is. It has none of the above and is still a satisfying drive.

Jesda
12-01-10, 11:19 PM
How do you turn it off ?, I have a 97 sts, I looked for a fuse for it, but couldn't
find it.

Turn off twilight sentinel.

creeker
12-01-10, 11:36 PM
Turn off twilight sentinel.

Uh, O.K., I dont see the connection, but you've never lied to me before.

orconn
12-01-10, 11:37 PM

Anyways, back on topic, I had those rain sensing wipers on that S-Class of mine and I hated them. I didn't like the fact I was relying on a ten year old computer, with ten year old technology and 10 year old algorithms to determine how fast the intermittent wipers should work. It was even worse when my wiper blades wore, as they wouldn't wipe all the rain off my windshield and it would trigger my rainsense to work even faster, just making it even worse. Now before you jump on me and ask why I didn't just replace the wiper blades, here's my explanation. The wiper insert was built into the blade, and that was built into the arm, so to replace the wiper inserts like on a normal car, I had to replace the entire wiper arm, at $98 a side. M-B designed a revolutionary sort of wiper arm that could clear 98% of the windshield, but oh my god for expensive!

You gotta hand to those superior engineers at Mercedes-Benz they really make you for the wonder of their brilliance!

Playdrv4me
12-02-10, 12:17 AM
I don't know how people live without automatic headlamps. It is one of those things that just seems OBVIOUS when you consider how long sun sensors have been around and how annoying it can be to leave your lights on by accident. In fact, I don't even have to have automatic lights ON per se, just lights that automatically turn OFF after you leave the car. Jesda's Saab, ancient as it may be, turns off the lights after a specified interval when you leave the car... just like Twilight Sentinel. I think its intended as a battery saver, but it works great for just forgetting about bothering with the headlight switch altogether. Far as I'm concerned the damn things can just stay on all the time (and they do in the Seville because I have the oh so common problem of my sun sensor falling down in the dash). The Germans always shun these conveniences until the bitter end. I thought it was ridiculous that my BMWs up through 2002 did not have auto headlights even as an OPTION.

Rain sensing wipers are another story altogether. The implementation vastly affects their usefulness. BMWs just downright suck, but the Cadillac version works great and by far the most flawless rain sense execution has to be Lexus. I don't recall ever touching the wiper stalk short of going into a car wash.

ga_etc
12-02-10, 12:24 AM
Will the Lexus version turn themselves on without touching the stalk? So when the car is running and the sensor detects moisture it will activate the system without driver involvement?

gdwriter
12-02-10, 12:34 AM
Count me in the category that likes the Rainsense wipers (and twilight sentinel and cruise control, and the power trunk lid pull down and automatic parking brake release (before Cadillac inexpicably took those away) I can't explain why, but I love the automatic parking brake release. I even went to the trouble to replace the vacuum diaphragm on the mechanism in Cruella when the old one finally gave out. I've never liked how a car can shift a little when you take the foot off the brake after you've put it in Park, so I've long had the habit of using the parking brake.

There are several reasons I like Cadillacs: Styling, comfort, performance, and both of mine have proven reliable and durable. But I also like all the convenience gadgets. Sure, you can get a lot of them on other cars; hell, you can even get automatic climate control on a Chevy Cruze. But Cadillac has had them forever. Save for power windows and door locks, none of the previous cars I've owned have had all the bells and whistles of my Cadillacs.

Playdrv4me
12-02-10, 12:40 AM
Will the Lexus version turn themselves on without touching the stalk? So when the car is running and the sensor detects moisture it will activate the system without driver involvement?

They both do (the Cadillac and the LS430). My RainSense wipers are always "ready" on the Seville. If a drop of moisture falls on the windshield, they will flick on. Obviously when entering a car wash it goes nuts, so that's the only time I have to manually disable it. Not sure if I understood your question, but I think that's what you were asking.

Aron9000
12-02-10, 12:43 AM
I'll tell you what's really spoiled me on the Brougham is the automatic climate control. I haven't touched that thing in over a month, always has the perfect temperature. Its kind of crapping out, a couple of the buttons are dead, but then again I never have to push the buttons on it.

As silly as it sounds, the power recline function on the seat is another favorite, its easy to adjust while you're rolling down the road unlike the seats with the lever on the side. I like to slouch on long interstate drives and kind of sit more upright when its a more stressful drive and I have to pay more attention.

ga_etc
12-02-10, 12:44 AM
On the ETC I actually have to turn the wipers on with the stalk. Then the sensor is on and they will wipe as needed. I don't think I would care for one that the system automatically activated itself.

ryannel2003
12-02-10, 12:44 AM
Jesus christ when did you buy the STS? Did I miss something?

Oh and as for the RainSense, i've never used it on my car. Mainly because it hasn't worked since the windshield was replaced. The sensor is too high up on the windshield. Probably should get that fixed.

ga_etc
12-02-10, 12:54 AM
Yeah, he finally talked Jesda out of it. And if your windshield has been replaced and your RainSense doesn't work right, they may not have installed the right windshield.

Playdrv4me
12-02-10, 01:00 AM
Yeah, he finally talked Jesda out of it. And if your windshield has been replaced and your RainSense doesn't work right, they may not have installed the right windshield.

LOL, yes what Austin said.

The windshield replacement issue is very common on rain sensor equipped vehicles. A guy on the LS430 forum went through no less than 3 windshields with Safelite after Safelite assured him their replacement would be compatible. I don't remember exactly what the resolution was, but I'm pretty sure a factory windshield had to be ordered, if not a new sensor with a new sensor/glass seal/adhesive.

ryannel2003
12-02-10, 01:05 AM
Sometimes I can see the Rainsense working for a split second but then it stops. I'm not too worried about it, I always thought it was a slightly gimmicky feature anyway.

Glad to see your back in a Seville. I'm sure you are as well. What is Jesda driving now?

Playdrv4me
12-02-10, 01:10 AM
Sometimes I can see the Rainsense working for a split second but then it stops. I'm not too worried about it, I always thought it was a slightly gimmicky feature anyway.

Glad to see your back in a Seville. I'm sure you are as well. What is Jesda driving now?

I gave Jesda the 2002 Dodge Ram free and clear. All he has to do is fix the cosmetics (if you recall, it was stolen and recovered at the end of october in perfect mechanical condition, but with some exterior scrapes and dings) and then he plans to sell it for as much as he can and get yet another Seville in a more preferred color combination. Technically, that wasn't the wisest trade since the pickup has insanely low mileage and always has a lot of value. But he feels the same way because he had no desire to get rid of his Cadillac other than my (very effective) nagging the shit out of him. So it was about even.

ga_etc
12-02-10, 01:13 AM
I gave Jesda the 2002 Dodge Ram free and clear. All he has to do is fix the cosmetics (if you recall, it was stolen and recovered at the end of october in perfect mechanical condition, but with some exterior scrapes and dings) and then he plans to sell it for as much as he can and get yet another Seville in a more preferred color combination. Technically, that wasn't the wisest trade since the pickup has insanely low mileage and always has a lot of value. But he feels the same way because he had no desire to get rid of his Cadillac other than my (very effective) nagging the shit out of him. So it was about even.

Just a slight understatement...

Playdrv4me
12-02-10, 01:18 AM
Just a slight understatement...

It actually looked a lot worse in the pictures than it did once I finally saw it. It definitely looks bad, but being that it's a work truck, all but the deepest of the scratches and some of the dings are unlikely to have any true impact on its value to the work-truck type of guys that will really want the thing. The bed sides and passenger side of the cab probably won't even need to be refurbed.

The biggest problem right now is that as the snow season begins in the Midwest, a 2WD truck is likely to be a hard sell until the spring.

ga_etc
12-02-10, 01:50 AM
That's why they make sand bags and cinder blocks lol.

dkozloski
12-02-10, 02:16 AM
I'm too stupid to understand or care about operating the fancy gimcracks so I just let the car take care of itself. Until I got married I had no idea I was driving too fast and didn't have a clue how to set the AC. My wife took care of that and now I just let the car itself take it to the next level.

Jesda
12-02-10, 06:21 AM
Actually after going over it with my body/paint guy, it was much worse than I thought. Cost to restore the body will be around $850. The hood looked as if someone took a hammer and pummeled it.

Doesn't matter to me -- if I can't break even then Ian owes me the difference or else I'll break his knees. Good luck walking into a Chili's with no knees.

ga_etc
12-02-10, 09:02 AM
There are wiseguys in MO? Who knew...

RippyPartsDept
12-11-10, 09:13 AM

i just realized i never responded to this... sorry for that

as far as I know the problem was mainly with the local rep.
nothing really stands out, but there just wasn't a good relationship
i think the local rep and the svc mgr just didn't like eachother

i'm surprised we stayed w/ BG for as long as we did

EChas3
12-11-10, 03:42 PM
I like the availability of the features on the ETC, like the RainSense, heated seats, comprehensive DIC, StabiliTrac, speed sensative steering, and the like. All of that is very appropriate for such a car. At the same time I like how straight forward the Roadmaster is. It has none of the above and is still a satisfying drive.

Speak for yourself, Tonto. My '93 Roadmaster Limited has some of that and I appreciated every bit.

I do like the ETC a lot. My wife's '98 STS was beautiful but sized to a 2-door as the ETC, she would have loved it all the more.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-11-10, 05:45 PM
i just realized i never responded to this... sorry for that

as far as I know the problem was mainly with the local rep.
nothing really stands out, but there just wasn't a good relationship
i think the local rep and the svc mgr just didn't like eachother

i'm surprised we stayed w/ BG for as long as we did

Ahhh, gotcha. Yeah, no product regardless of it's quality can make up for shoddy customer service.

skippydts
12-30-10, 03:02 PM
Well, I like the rainsense wipers, the tilting side mirror, I like it when the steering wheel tilts up and down when exiting and entering the vehicle. The heated seats in front AND in back. I like that when I get in it knows my settings down to radio station choise. Comments from passengers are priceless.. But the DTS also drives great... so the features are secondary. When I purchased the car used, I didn't even know about most of the features. I was most concerned with rideability. The mentioned features are a bonus..

Lord Cadillac
04-20-11, 02:41 PM
Just an FYI - rain sensing windshield wipers are back.. They should have never left (a luxury car). But what do I know?

OffThaHorseCEO
04-20-11, 02:56 PM
I agree, alotta the guys on the forum pine for the luxury cars of old which were opulent over the top cars full of unnecessary luxuries. Then some of them come on here and say theyd rather not have them in the first place.

gdwriter
04-20-11, 03:09 PM
Then some of them come on here and say theyd rather not have them in the first place.The only one who consistently complains about the luxury features most of us appreciate is douchedeville. I don't know why he doesn't go back to that POS Escort that he's always praising to high heaven. I'd suggest he go back to it and GTFO, but it probably rusted into oblivion.

The only one who consistently complains about the luxury features most of us appreciate is douchedeville. I don't know why he doesn't go back to that POS Escort that he's always praising to high heaven. I'd suggest he go back to it and GTFO, but it probably rusted into oblivion.

http://www.goodsdirect.net/Trolling_Motor.jpg

:yup:

I c wut u did ther.

http://www.robertjschwalb.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dr-evil.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc406/Favo666/6ee906e6-78b9-4412-b0ea-0dd86dbd764f.jpg

http://www.funny-potato.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/lol.jpg

i dont get it

Drew's picture: trolling motor.

o haaaaaaaa

Drew's picture: trolling motor.:doh: My Dad's a fisherman. I should have figured that out. :lol: Not that I particularly care.

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/6590138/WELL-PLAYED-SIR-WELL-PLAYED.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Tom-Selleck-well-played

chatsworth
04-20-11, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the rain sensors either. Just a useless gimmick. Would be glad to see em go.

OffThaHorseCEO
04-20-11, 04:17 PM
i can understand not liking them. but, you can turn it off, and not even turn it on again. why be glad to see them go?

Stingroo
04-20-11, 04:19 PM
If you turn them off and never use them, they're still adding to the price of the car by being there.

OffThaHorseCEO
04-20-11, 04:21 PM
its an option, meaning you can buy the car without it.

to "see them go" would mean that even potential users of this feature wouldnt have the "option" to buy that feature

if youre buying your car used, chances are the dealer or seller doesnt put enough importance on this feature to affect the selling price

"20,000? are you serious? this things got rainsense wipers, better make that 25000!"

Stingroo
04-20-11, 04:22 PM
Well, that's true.

I don't know, I'm guessing as to his reasoning honestly. They're probably bundled in an options package anyway.

Cadillac Tony
04-28-11, 02:57 PM
Rainsense wipers will be back on the 2012 model CTS, FYI.

orconn
04-28-11, 03:17 PM
My wife likes the rain sensor on her 2002 Seville, I could care less.

OffThaHorseCEO
04-28-11, 03:25 PM
so you care about them on some level then...

Lord Cadillac
04-28-11, 04:24 PM

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/community-lounge-introductions-general-discussion/216500-cadillac-thrifting-out-rain-sensing-wipers-4.html#post2568005
I don't blame you for not reading every single post in the discussion. :p

My wife likes the rain sensor on her 2002 Seville, I could care less.

so you care about them on some level then...

Don't kill me, but...
http://blogofnothing.com/2010/06/08/i-could-care-less-really/

RippyPartsDept
04-28-11, 04:31 PM
Don't kill me, but...
http://blogofnothing.com/2010/06/08/i-could-care-less-really/

i almost said something similar :P

reminds me of the irregardless/regardless snafu

Lord Cadillac
04-28-11, 05:19 PM
It's one of those things that's not really worth noticing but somehow I have to notice it anyway. :p

OffThaHorseCEO
04-28-11, 05:24 PM

the big difference being irregardless isnt even a word, people just thought they sounded smarter saying it because it was 2 letters longer

RippyPartsDept
04-28-11, 05:37 PM
It's one of those things that's not really worth noticing but somehow I have to notice it anyway.

yup...

the big difference being irregardless isnt even a word, people just thought they sounded smarter saying it because it was 2 letters longer

i don't really try and differentiate between these types of errors they're both wrong, and it's a waste of my time to say well this is technically partially correct in one way and that is just gibberish

OffThaHorseCEO
04-28-11, 05:47 PM
can we spam here now?

Stingroo
04-28-11, 05:59 PM
I dislike the new Blog of Nothing design.

Yes, I frequent your blog enough to know that it is new.... :lol:

Lord Cadillac
04-28-11, 10:55 PM
Really? I was so proud of it. What don't you like?

I dislike the new Blog of Nothing design.

Yes, I frequent your blog enough to know that it is new.... :lol:

Stingroo
04-29-11, 05:51 AM
The old one was clever in its simplicity. It was literally nothing.

This one has a flower in it. Sal, are you going soft on us?

ejguillot
04-29-11, 10:38 AM

Good! I have them in my 2000 Seville STS, and I find that they work great - to the point where I miss them if I drive a car that doesn't have them. I never thought it made any sense for Cadillac not to have them when they were available on vehicles as affordable as a Mazda 3 (which did have them in the premium package)

Lord Cadillac
04-29-11, 11:02 AM
The old one was clever in its simplicity. It was literally nothing.

This one has a flower in it. Sal, are you going soft on us?

Damn, I was hoping nobody would notice that damned flower! I know what you mean, though. It was very simple before - like nothing. But I do want the site to look nice... So... There it is.. I think most people like it. Damn you. :bouncy:

Good! I have them in my 2000 Seville STS, and I find that they work great - to the point where I miss them if I drive a car that doesn't have them. I never thought it made any sense for Cadillac not to have them when they were available on vehicles as affordable as a Mazda 3 (which did have them in the premium package)

As far as I'm concerned, the more features - the better. Although after warranty - that could be a serious problem. :o

Stingroo
04-29-11, 11:32 AM
I noticed the flower before I noticed anything else.

I think the previous design was more fitting. Find something with a black hole.

orconn
04-29-11, 12:24 PM
Damn, I was hoping nobody would notice that damned flower! I know what you mean, though. It was very simple before - like nothing. But I do want the site to look nice... So... There it is.. I think most people like it. Damn you. :bouncy:

As far as I'm concerned, the more features - the better. Although after warranty - that could be a serious
problem. :o

My business Jags usually were fully loaded with accessories because they were traded before the warranty ran out. My personal cars, which tended to be owned well beyond the warranty period I tended to buy with only what I consider to be necessary options. For instance I had so much trouble with sunroofs in the early eighties that today I try not buy a car with one. Headlight washers, in California never needed them, in VA I don't go out when the weather is bad enough to need them. I would want seat warmers, except my wife has become addicted to them! Power adjustable every thing, as long as its adjustable I don't care if it is power or manual. I buy certain brands because of the way they drive and look, not because of a lot accessories I may use only occasionally, but when they break cost a lot to fix!

ThumperPup
04-29-11, 12:33 PM
i really hate the rain sense wiper not sure if my rain sensor is just shot but not giving codes or if its just that i hate the feature all together
will know if i hate it or if its just shot and not working properly next week seeing how safelight is coming out to replace the windshield and wiper sensor will all knew on tuesday

but so far i just hate this it works liek crap and no matter what setting i have it on if it has the least bit of rain coming down the thing goes at full blast
50% of the time and the other 50% of the time it goes like its on slow turtle mode lol

Lord Cadillac
04-29-11, 01:24 PM
My business Jags usually were fully loaded with accessories because they were traded before the warranty ran out. My personal cars, which tended to be owned well beyond the warranty period I tended to buy with only what I consider to be necessary options. For instance I had so much trouble with sunroofs in the early eighties that today I try not buy a car with one. Headlight washers, in California never needed them, in VA I don't go out when the weather is bad enough to need them. I would want seat warmers, except my wife has become addicted to them! Power adjustable every thing, as long as its adjustable I don't care if it is power or manual. I buy certain brands because of the way they drive and look, not because of a lot accessories I may use only occasionally, but when they break cost a lot to fix!

I'm a tech junkie so it's difficult for me to live without the "new" features.. Otherwise I'd be driving an old Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham or Talisman - without a doubt..

I noticed the flower before I noticed anything else.

I think the previous design was more fitting. Find something with a black hole.

If I could find a good template with a black hole, that would be pretty awesome..

i really hate the rain sense wiper not sure if my rain sensor is just shot but not giving codes or if its just that i hate the feature all together
will know if i hate it or if its just shot and not working properly next week seeing how safelight is coming out to replace the windshield and wiper sensor will all knew on tuesday

but so far i just hate this it works liek crap and no matter what setting i have it on if it has the least bit of rain coming down the thing goes at full blast
50% of the time and the other 50% of the time it goes like its on slow turtle mode lol

They work with some brands better than others. I liked them on my Cadillacs and they're good with Lexus vehicles.. Not so great on BMWs...

OffThaHorseCEO
04-29-11, 01:26 PM

if they are features you wouldnt use, it wouldnt need to be fixed.

On something like rainsense wipers, the only rainsense specific thing i could see breaking would be the sensor itself. yea the motor can burn out, but motors burn out on regular wipers too. If the sensor messes up you wouldnt be able to use the rainsense feature...but would still be able to use the wipers

ThumperPup
04-29-11, 01:32 PM
They work with some brands better than others. I liked them on my Cadillacs and they're good with Lexus vehicles.. Not so great on BMWs...

ill just wait and see and have to report back how it is after the new sensor and windshield are installed cause it just seems like they irritate me how it runs and it makes no sense of how to speed them up and slow them down they either go at full speed or slow speed never in between not for my seville

orconn
04-29-11, 02:13 PM
I wasn't referring to just "rain sensors' but to accessories in general. I don't know about you but I like all the accessories that came with the car to work properly. Some of the accessories that come with the cars today seem quit functioning whether used or not, I don't want the repair liability of having an accessory I'm not going to use (and paying for it when the car is new) if I am not going to use it. Just seems like a waste of money if it can be avoided.

Maybe I've just had too many foreign cars that had crappy accessories that cost a fortune to repair when the warranty ran out (Mercedes, Jaguar, Peugeot)!

I know young folks are accessory junkies (my son included) and demand to have all the latest "stuff" on their cars, for me it is just a waste of money. Some are nice to have, but I know I would get used to their not being their very quickly!

gdwriter
04-29-11, 02:24 PM
In the 60s and 70s, accessories on American cars tended to be much more reliable than on European models. For example, their air conditioning systems were pretty crappy, while Cadillac's automatic climate control was virtually flawless. IIRC, there have been a lot of electrical issues with BMWs and especially Mercedes over the past 10-12 years as they get increasingly gadget laden.

orconn
04-29-11, 02:55 PM
In the 60s and 70s, accessories on American cars tended to be much more reliable than on European models. For example, their air conditioning systems were pretty crappy, while Cadillac's automatic climate control was virtually flawless. IIRC, there have been a lot of electrical issues with BMWs and especially Mercedes over the past 10-12 years as they get increasingly gadget laden.

Back in the '60s and '70s we maintained Olds (98 and Toros) and Cadillacs side by side, the Cadillac's accessories stood up better than Olds. This was consisantly the case from the '50s on through the '70s. Interestingly on an American car (including my parents cars) we never had a power window go out, I wish I could say the same for the German cars I've had.

ThumperPup
04-29-11, 03:22 PM
I wasn't referring to just "rain sensors' but to accessories in general. I don't know about you but I like all the accessories that came with the car to work properly. Some of the accessories that come with the cars today seem quit functioning whether used or not, I don't want the repair liability of having an accessory I'm not going to use (and paying for it when the car is new) if I am not going to use it. Just seems like a waste of money if it can be avoided.

Maybe I've just had too many foreign cars that had crappy accessories that cost a fortune to repair when the warranty ran out (Mercedes, Jaguar, Peugeot)!

I know young folks are accessory junkies (my son included) and demand to have all the latest "stuff" on their cars, for me it is just a waste of money. Some are nice to have, but I know I would get used to their not being their very quickly!

I think the only accessory that i ever really wanted in a car when i first started driving atleast the only thing that not many had and it was for sure options would be a CD changer back in the mid 90s and also a car phone
other then those i didnt really care what they had lol