: 1995 Fleetwood remote starter

outsider
12-01-10, 11:14 AM
Anyone install a remote starter in their 1995 fleetwood? If so, how hard was it? what do I need to look for when buying one? I have one that I got real cheap at a garage sale last year...might try to hook it up but will I need to bypass the resistor thing in the key for it to work?

turbojimmy
12-01-10, 12:06 PM
You probably will need to bypass the resistor by installing a resistor of the same value in the circuit. I installed one on my '99 Buick Century (Viper brand) and '01 Deville (Bulldog brand). Both had the newer transponder-based anti-theft systems though. It's not an easy installation, but it's definitely worth the effort. You can get pre-wired harnesses for some vehicles, too. I did it the old-fashioned way on my Deville and soldered each wire. I have a remote starter on my "to-do" list for my '96 Fleetwood, particularly since I don't have remote keyless entry. Most remote start systems have remote door lock and trunk release capabilities.

CadillacPimpinNOLA
12-04-10, 11:55 AM
i installed mine myself. viper 5900 1 mile range remote start on 95 fleetwood.

the thing that scares people away from doing it thereself is they dont have or dont know how to use a multimeter. or they see all the wires and get scared.

truth is a lot of the wires dont get used, alarms are universal so they have to cover every make and model.

and get your resistor from a stereo shop they will have the exact one, prolly give it to you for free as they have tons. radio shack will not have the exact one you need and youll have a headache peicing them together to get the right value.

i install my own alarm b/c the stereo shop quoted me $750 to install mine and i had all the stuff, that was $750 labor.

to get resistor value since theres 15 different ones, turn you multimeter to ohms, place the leads on each side of the chip and it will give you a number. go get that value resisor

heres a few sites to help you with. ask away and i can help out

http://vats.likeabigdog.com/

all the wires you need

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diagrams/diagrams.asp?link=DW