: Need tags by the 11th and damn light comes on!!!

9ine3reefleet
11-30-10, 10:15 PM
So my birthday is on the 11th which means its time to renew registration. However, last weekend the "service engine soon" light comes on out of nowhere. Checked the forum, then checked the codes, got a 00-24 "throttle position angle problem (VSS)", checked back on the forum and didnt get too much. The light comes on about 20 minutes into my commute back and forth to work and then stays on. Sometimes it goes off but still comes back on.

Im in a jam, I dont wanna pay a 100 dollars this year for someone to pass my emissions. You guys gotta clue about this?

Thanks folks.

sinatra caddy
11-30-10, 10:33 PM
dont know if it will fix the problem or not, but if you clear the codes will it give you enough time to pass your inspection???

csbuckn
11-30-10, 10:59 PM
20 minutes of highway driving? City driving?

9ine3reefleet
11-30-10, 11:32 PM
dont know if it will fix the problem or not, but if you clear the codes will it give you enough time to pass your inspection???

Tried to clear but didnt work.

9ine3reefleet
11-30-10, 11:38 PM
20 minutes of highway driving? City driving?

City driving. The highway is a beeotch before and after work. Takes about 45 mins to get to work. When I did drive on the highway that one time it took about the same time. Plus I will add that at first it was on/off through my travels for the first 2/3 days but now it stays completely on after 20 mins. WTF!!!

sven914
11-30-10, 11:48 PM
I don't know what this code means exactly, but I've seen similar codes set when the ECM doesn't see a change in vehicle speed after a drastic change in throttle position. Being that this happens after the engine has warmed up, I would lean more towards a faulty TPS as the problem; the heat of the engine can cause high resistance in the sensor, which will make it relay incorrect information to the computer. But the Vehicle Speed Sensor can also be sending the wrong information, though I don't know why it would wait 20 minutes to malfunction.

turbojimmy
12-01-10, 12:53 PM
If it's a mismatch between the TPS and the VSS it has to be one or the other. Can you bring up the diagnostics on the HVAC controls on the '93? I think you can. One of the things it will display is the vehicle speed as reported by the VSS. See if it's accurate or not. If it is, my money would be on the TPS.

HUF
12-01-10, 03:18 PM
As Sven said, check out the TPS with an Ohmmeter. There should be no jumps in readings. My data shows resistance changing (while you move the lever) within 1.88 kOhm and 7.31 kOhm.

sven914
12-01-10, 03:43 PM
An Ohm meter might not pickup the malfunction initially. Many times with a TPS there is just one spot where resistance is too high or low, and that spot can be hard to find or is missed when using a meter. Using the MIN/MAX function on a DVOM should make it possible to pickup on subtle resistance difference while you move the throttle. Also, the to see if the TPS is actually malfunctioning, you need to test it with the engine hot.

9ine3reefleet
12-01-10, 09:25 PM
If it's a mismatch between the TPS and the VSS it has to be one or the other. Can you bring up the diagnostics on the HVAC controls on the '93? I think you can. One of the things it will display is the vehicle speed as reported by the VSS. See if it's accurate or not. If it is, my money would be on the TPS.

Oh ok VSS is "vehicle speed sensor"? (duh) I looked at that video on the forum that shows the guys speedometer reading on his HVAC and wanted to check the code on the HVAC that displays my speed because my dash is out and thought it would be cool. But the damn thing didnt work right. Jumped from 15 to 26 back down to 14 back up to 27... and so on. You have shed some light. Easy fix?

turbojimmy
12-02-10, 07:25 AM
Oh ok VSS is "vehicle speed sensor"? (duh) I looked at that video on the forum that shows the guys speedometer reading on his HVAC and wanted to check the code on the HVAC that displays my speed because my dash is out and thought it would be cool. But the damn thing didnt work right. Jumped from 15 to 26 back down to 14 back up to 27... and so on. You have shed some light. Easy fix?

So you set the HVAC to show your MPH and it was erratic? I would say that this is your problem. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the VSS or if you just replace it. Maybe someone else has more experience with them - I've never had one go bad.

9ine3reefleet
12-02-10, 12:17 PM
Thanks for yals input. Gonna talk to my mechanic today to see whats up.