: AWD vs FWD ride quality

drjdan
11-30-10, 10:08 PM
I have been driving a 2011 Luxury FWD demo three days and today I swapped for a 2010 Performanace turbo demo. I notice the ride is noiser and I feel the road more. I don't think I need the turbo motor and am going to demo a Premium FWD next.

My questions:

Is the AWD normally noiser and stiffer ride than FWD?

Is the suspension in the AWD Performance and FWD Premium the same?

Do the 20" tires of the Performance vs. 18" of Luxury make for a noiser and stiffer ride?

Is there any difference in the ride of a 2010 vs. 2011?

sube5186
11-30-10, 10:33 PM
My questions:

Is the AWD normally noisier and stiffer ride than FWD?
No. Just the opposite. The AWD uses a Sport Suspension System with computer controlled Real-Time Damping. It monitors surface conditions and adjusts damping forces every 2 milliseconds. With the AWD, the suspension also changes when you switch the trans from "Tour" to "Sport" mode.

Is the suspension in the AWD Performance and FWD Premium the same?
No. None of the FWD versions have suspensions with computer controlled Real-Time Damping.

Do the 20" tires of the Performance vs. 18" of Luxury make for a noiser and stiffer ride?
Not noisier, but a little harder over bumps. On smooth roads you won't feel a difference.

Is there any difference in the ride of a 2010 vs. 2011?
No. They both have the same suspension.

drjdan
12-01-10, 10:57 PM
Well today, I took the Performance turbo demo back and got a Premium FWD. Went over the same bad city streets. The FWD Premium took the bumbs much better than the turbo not as much noise. The extra power of the turbo is ok, for just normal driving I can do with the regular.

smiley47
12-03-10, 08:45 AM
Well today, I took the Performance turbo demo back and got a Premium FWD. Went over the same bad city streets. The FWD Premium took the bumbs much better than the turbo not as much noise. The extra power of the turbo is ok, for just normal driving I can do with the regular.

When you are making ride comparisons, be sure the tire pressures are the same. Vehicles at the dealerships will vary by 4-6 PSI which will make a HUGE difference in ride quality. IMO they usually come overinflated from the factory and 33-34 PSI is the optimum pressure for the SRX AWD. My 2010 AWD turbo with 20" Michelins at 33-34 PSI rides much smoother and quieter than the 2008 Lexus RX 350 I traded in.

Razorecko
12-03-10, 09:53 AM
not only that but if the turbo rides on 20" wheels and the fwd premium is on 18" thats a huge difference.

Smokin' SRX
12-05-10, 03:51 PM
Great info given folks! I just want to reitterrate Smiley47's comment on air pressure! How true. I posted a whole commentary on the recent "Anyone losing air pressure" thread, about this.

Air pressure (especially with the narrow sidewall 20") makes a huge difference !! I also run at about 33-34 psi, COLD, compared to the 36psi COLD that the door sticker reccos. Makes the ride alot nicer IMHO. Just don't run lower than that or even at that, if you have 4 passengers/or heavy cargo, AND are going on a 5 mile or more high-speed trip. Handling will be compromised, possibly safety too, due to tire overheating. For just my wife and I, locally, and some minor high speed jaunts, I keep it at 33-34.

Be advised, maybe 10-15% extra tire wear does occur! (to the edges) Rotate often to help keep it even,( my local tire shop does it free!--Mavis Tire) and be willing to get new tires a bit sooner for that softer ride....:thumbsup:

SS

PS.....I have a great air pump in garage so I experiment with PSI...I can get 26-27 highway MPG , Cruise set at 62MPH, in warmer weather, if I run 39PSI !! Ride sucks.......

sube5186
12-05-10, 04:15 PM
PS.....I have a great air pump in garage so I experiment with PSI...I can get 26-27 highway MPG , Cruise set at 62MPH, in warmer weather, if I run 39PSI !! Ride sucks.......

Am I the only one who actually uses the air compressor that comes with the SRX?

Sube