: Car won't start

dmark89
11-30-10, 05:51 PM
I shut off my cadillac seville sts and went to restart it. but when I turn the key, nothing happens. The lights all come on, but nothing happens. help?

jimsbox
11-30-10, 06:42 PM
You may have a broken ground strap to the engine. Get a jumper cable and clip one end to a bare bolt or nut on the engine or trans, and the other end to a bare bolt on the body or frame. Try it again. If it works you need to either fix the old strap or go to an autoparts store and by a cable with a lug on each end to attach to a bolt on the engine and a bolt on the body. Don't get a regular battery cable, it will have a battery connection on one end. I think it is called a starter solenoid cable.

EChas3
11-30-10, 07:48 PM
You'll probably get more/better advice on the Seville STS forum. The 2005 & up STS are quite different.

jimsbox
11-30-10, 10:44 PM
You'll probably get more/better advice on the Seville STS forum. The 2005 & up STS are quite different.

You may not like my advice to the OP but the exact same thing happened to me on my Deville. I don't pretend to be an expert but I try to help when I can. You are right though, he will be in a more appropriate and helpful thread if he moves it. The people frequenting here will probably know very little about a 92.

turnerbend
11-30-10, 11:35 PM
Check for dead or weak battery. Check cables tight and not corroded.

STS_0423
12-01-10, 01:21 AM
Press Brake and Push the Button........oh wait!!! :hmm:

jimsbox
12-01-10, 04:21 AM
Oher possibilities include ignition switch, neutral safety switch, starter relay or solenoid, but you would hear the starter spin if its just a bad starter solenoid.

Midnight
12-01-10, 10:14 AM
A few basic diagnostics.

Do the headlights work: No -> Bad battery, corroded terminals, loose terminals, bad/loose main wiring from battery to car.
Yes ->

Do the headlights turn off when you try to crank the engine? No -> Bad ignition switch circuit which includes the neutral safety switch (try jiggling the gear lever or starting in neutral (be careful)), the ignition switch itself, wiring between that and the solenoid, or the solenoid.
Yes -> Could still be bad/weak battery or corroded terminals, or main connections between battery and car.

I'd check the battery terminals for corrosion and tightness first, because it's easy enough and it's a pretty common problem in older cars.

jimsbox
12-01-10, 06:04 PM
(QUOTE)
A few basic diagnostics.

Do the headlights work: No -> Bad battery, corroded terminals, loose terminals, bad/loose main wiring from battery to car.
Yes ->

Do the headlights turn off when you try to crank the engine? No -> Bad ignition switch circuit which includes the neutral safety switch (try jiggling the gear lever or starting in neutral (be careful)), the ignition switch itself, wiring between that and the solenoid, or the solenoid.
Yes -> Could still be bad/weak battery or corroded terminals, or main connections between battery and car.

I'd check the battery terminals for corrosion and tightness first, because it's easy enough and it's a pretty common problem in older cars.
Read more at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/216432-car-wont-start.html?ktrack=kcplinkRead more at http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/216432-car-wont-start.html?ktrack=kcplink

(END QUOTE)

You told him the same thing I did. He said in the first post the lights come on, hence checking the ground to the engine. Failing that I also said ignition switch, neutral switch, starter relay and starter solenoid. But if the solenoid is bad the starter will spin but the bendix won't activate. If it is just a loose or dirty battery cable I would still expect him to see the dash go dimmer when he tries to crank. Sounds like we are thinking along the same lines.

EChas3
12-01-10, 09:33 PM
You may not like my advice to the OP ...

No offense intended. I didn't mean to imply your advice was bad. There have been more responses than I usually see for off-model posts.

I hope the OP meets with success.

jimsbox
12-01-10, 09:56 PM
Hey EChas3,

I wasn't sure if you were dissing me or not, but no problem. You are definitely right about getting more responses if he moves it to the appropriate thread. Anyway, thanks for the clarification. I don't even think the OP is even checking his own thread, Maybe he took your advice and moved to the Seville forum. Take care, Jim

DopeStar 156
12-02-10, 03:08 AM
Press Brake and Push the Button........oh wait!!! :hmm:

The problem is you're using a key. That's just for the door..... :p