: Dealer confusion on the 2011 SRX Premium AWD - 20" Chrome Wheel Option

jbsharpe
11-30-10, 03:14 PM
Hi all,
I'm about to purchase a 2011 SRX Premium AWD in Mocha Steel exterior and unfortunately the car I want to buy does not have the 20" Chrome wheels, but the painted alloy 20" wheels. The wheels do not look good with the Mocha color or existing chrome trim.

My dilemma is the sales person stated that they cannot replace the stock wheels with the 20" Chrome as according to her: "Must come direct from the factory with that option, but if you want Chrome we can put custom chrome wheels on for a low price of $2900". My other option is for her to do a nationwide search or order it directly from the factory with the Chrome wheels which may take weeks.

Do you think this is typical sales mumbo jumbo and she's trying to sell overpriced chrome wheels? Why in the world can't the dealer replace the existing wheels with the optional Chrome Tech and I'll pay the difference? Is GM/Cadillac that rigid in selling a car with specific options on the window sticker?

Thoughts?

doctormstein1
11-30-10, 03:33 PM
Usually they cannot or will not exchange wheels unless they have a customer who want your wheels immediately. If you can wait, that is what I would do. Sometimes they get it sooner then they think.

dechji
11-30-10, 05:20 PM
I'm afraid doctorm is right about the wheels, they can order the Chrome wheels for you but they don't want to be stuck with the stock aluminum wheels. You can buy new factory Chrome rims on eBay for about $1000 and $2500 with tires. If u decide to go with the aftermarket, I would make sure it comes with tpms.

2010sled
11-30-10, 06:11 PM
why trade perfect all alum for alum wheel with a pastic hub cap glued on

sube5186
11-30-10, 06:29 PM
Do you think this is typical sales mumbo jumbo and she's trying to sell overpriced chrome wheels? Why in the world can't the dealer replace the existing wheels with the optional Chrome Tech and I'll pay the difference? Is GM/Cadillac that rigid in selling a car with specific options on the window sticker?

Thoughts?

They won't order chrome wheels just to swap with the ones on the car you want. However, if there is another SRX on the lot with the chrome wheels you want, they may swap those with the ones on the Mocha SRX. After I asked, my dealer offered to do just that for me. As it turned out, I ended up not needing to swap because they got a car in that was equipped exactly the way I wanted. It all depends on the individual dealer and what they're willing to do to make a sale. Either way, I wouldn't buy the overpriced chrome wheels they're trying to sell you.

Sube

jbsharpe
12-02-10, 08:51 PM
So they came back and offered Real Chrome wheels (aftermarket) at no additional charge :yup: but now my wife got cold feet to buy the Premium version...They were offering a great deal for a premium, trailer package, roof rails, and aftermarket tires for $48,200 but I had to sign on the dotted line by a specific time on November 30th... Pressure got to my wife, so I'm back to square one....:crybaby:

She's pushing me to get the luxury or a Buick Enclave, but I'm a guy who wants all the bells and whistles and will use them all!!!

GMJim
12-03-10, 07:11 AM
JB, Better get what you want. Nothing worse than buyers remorse.
I can get you a suppliers discount if that would help.

Jim

jbsharpe
12-03-10, 05:34 PM
Hi GMJim,
Yes I would be interested. I'm now negotiating with another dealer here in the Northwest and he's asking me if I'm on the $1500 Manifest list...not sure if that's the same thing.
I have two GM's now: a 2008 Buick Lucerne CXL V8 and a 2002 GMC Denali XL. Not sure if that helps for this. But any dollars that I can save will help me not sleep in the car or on the sofa for a few weeks!!!

BTW, you see who wears the pants in our family...

RippyPartsDept
12-03-10, 06:17 PM
you could possibly ask them to swap wheels from another srx on the lot if there are any that have the wheels you like, but changing from an 18" to a 20" is kind of apples to oranges and they might be hesitant or at least charge you a bit more

TheCaptain
12-04-10, 12:45 PM
you could possibly ask them to swap wheels from another srx on the lot if there are any that have the wheels you like, but changing from an 18" to a 20" is kind of apples to oranges and they might be hesitant or at least charge you a bit more

See i thought they would be able to do this no problem right? I asked at my selling dealer and they said they can't, because essentially all brand new vehicles still belong to GM, and have specific options listed on them right... so if two dealers want to trade, and now this one has different rims on it then what the sheet says, one of them gets the short end of the stick!

So that's the reason i was told why they can't switch with NEW vehicles, used ones are owned by the dealer so they can do whatever they want with them.

Ponyman
12-04-10, 12:58 PM
They won't do that in Oklahoma either. The tag and excise tax are based on the MSRP. If you take the premium wheels off one and put them on another vehicle, that messes things up. One car will have more dollars added to it while the other will have less, but they can't change this because of the manufacturer's statement of origin.

RippyPartsDept
12-04-10, 01:05 PM
That's a good explanation. Technically correct (but not necessarily always true).

The dealer could do the swap but it does complicate things and many dealers don't want to mess with the 'extra work'.

I just talked to our sales dept. and they said that they would do it no question. It's probably one of those 'company policy' type of situations.

cz9h3d
12-14-10, 11:22 AM
That's a good explanation. Technically correct (but not necessarily always true).

The dealer could do the swap but it does complicate things and many dealers don't want to mess with the 'extra work'.

I just talked to our sales dept. and they said that they would do it no question. It's probably one of those 'company policy' type of situations.

The dealer owns the car - they can do whatever they want to it (and they do, see all the simulated convertible tops and gold packages on the poor DTS) to make the sale. It's really a matter of how bad they want to sell the car.

Personally, the non-chrome 20's are my preference, and since so many of the Chrome Techs are sold, they stand out even more.

Z06CADY
12-23-10, 11:22 PM
I am told you can chrome the 20's for $200 a wheel maybe a little less.

Marc NY
12-26-10, 12:55 PM
Issues that one friend had in trying to get the 20" Chrome wheels:

I was showing my friend my new Performance SRX with the 20" Chromes last summer and he and his new wife just loved it. So he decided to go searching for a new SRX but in silver instead of gray flannel color that I have. He finally found a silver SRX that he liked and ended up buying the Luxury SRX version that comes with 18" wheels instead. He told his selling dealer, who was located in central NY, that he would buy the SRX but only if they would get him the 20" chrome wheels and put them on it for him. Since the dealer wanted to make the sale they ended up buying the 20" Chrome wheels for him and then mounted them on new tires. He told me he paid $2,000 extra for what was only a $250.00 option on the Performance package in 2010. (Personally I think he would have been better off just opting for the Performance package instead of paying the extra $2K more.)

He was very excited that the dealer was willing to help him get the 20" wheels so he purchased the SRX. However, when he got home and was washing his new SRX for the first time he took a closer look at the 20" wheels and that is when he noticed that the dealer's service department tech guy had accidentally scratched up 3 out of the 4 new rims. Yes, he did complain to the dealership about that and the dealer said they would get 3 new wheels for him. This is just another reason why dealerships hate to make wheel changes like that which probably cost them more than they made on the SRX.

NOTE: Since the over all circumference of the two size tires on the 20" vs 18" were almost identical (difference is approx. 3 revolutions per mile) there really was no need to worry about recalibration of the odometer.