: RWD STS in the winter?

rencast
11-30-10, 02:05 PM
I am going to be picking up a STS in a week or so and my wife is concerned with driving this vehicle in the winter. We live outside Chicago and drive to Northern Michigan quite a bit. I plan on using Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 235/50/17 with 17x8 Moda wheels for winter only. For the STS owners that drive in the snow does sound like a good option?

ford97suv
11-30-10, 03:11 PM
I bought my 06 last year, i dont have snow tires. Did have brand new tires on and couldn't drive it in the snow, needless to say it is parked in the garage coverd up and bought a awd vehicle. Hope your wife has better luck.

EChas3
11-30-10, 09:32 PM
Blizzak's are outstanding. My wife has had no trouble in her RWD since we got them for her. Michigan gets more snow than us in Wisconsin, at least within 50 miles of the lake.

Is it an option to simply stay put for a day when weather hits? If not, you really ought to be in an AWD, regardless.

Saila22
11-30-10, 10:59 PM
Good winter tires and a driver who knows how to drive in snow= no problems!

Frikiton
11-30-10, 11:30 PM
What are the best All Season tires?

I live in NYC and we get Rain, Snow, everything lol

jimmbo
12-01-10, 04:16 AM
AS I've said before, except for the limited ground clearance the STS is no worse than any other RWD in winter. I too have the Blizzack LM-60s 235/50-17 on mine

1BadCadSTS
12-01-10, 09:31 AM
forget all seasons in the snow on a rwd sts, best to gets some snows or another car

I love AWD

Saila22
12-01-10, 10:15 PM
Continetal RSW All Season, nice traction and QUIET on dry pavement

Frikiton
12-02-10, 03:03 PM
forget all seasons in the snow on a rwd sts, best to gets some snows or another car

I love AWD

so not worth putting all season tires on a RWD STS ?

the problem i hear is that all RWD suck in the snow or rain, supposely FWD is better and of course AWD the best

Oscar P
12-04-10, 06:26 AM
Hi,

Since I live in Sweden (North Europe) and from time to time we do have some snow here, and last week has been terrible. And yes, the STS with decent tires works well. There are plus and minus with everything, for instance the Traction reacts a bit slow perhaps, but that is exactly that gives you a chance to take off rapidly when necessary - oversensitive systems would totally cut down all power. I haven't found any reason disengage the traction any time.
Driven with some respect the STS handles well, its a heavy car and it has very good weight distribution. More weight over the rear wheels is good for traction but also, if you nail the throttle and rear come loose its a lot of weight to bring back into line again. So try to give the anti-systems some help by not getting into more trouble than necessary.

Dont worry, just buy good tires - from what I hear and know Blizzak is a good tire. Then its always a good exercise to test on an empty parking to check how the car react, better than trying the hard way in traffic.

AllGoNShow
12-04-10, 12:43 PM
I rock LM-60's all winter up here in cold-ass Canada, love 'em! Thought about changing it up since I work at a tire shop, try something different, put them on and drove for one night and said no way I'm getting rid of them till they are worn out, they work great! RWD here as well. Traction I find is almost too intrusive sometimes, can't get going on some surfaces then it kills ur power leaving you hanging out in an intersection for a second, hit the button and POOF into the blowing snow I disappear :)

GREGB1954
12-05-10, 08:59 AM
I drove our 2006 RWD N* for the first time in sub 32 last night and had 1 instance where the back end lost traction briefly - going straight! Other than that it did fine. There is no salt down yet either.

My question is this: does it make sense to put a pair of tires like the Blizzak on just the rear, or does that not solve the problem?

EChas3
12-05-10, 12:56 PM
Snow tires on the back will help you go and reduce the tendancy for the rear to 'step out of line'. IMHO, stopping and turning are more important so I recommend four snow tires. They may wear a bit faster than regular tires but considering the safety, performance and the longer life of those regular tires, the increased cost isn't that much. We have 4 Blizzaks on my wife's RWD STS.

Many members buy Winter wheels for their snow tires, too. We let the tire-busters have at her tires twice a year. They dis-mount and bag the tires coming off; mount, balance and sync the TPMS for $70. Last year they also checked the allignment for free. Given the cost of a good set of wheels & TPMS sensors, we aren't convinced another set of wheels saves much money.

It is nice knowing she has good rotated & balanced tires that are optimized for likely road conditions, Winter and Summer. I have Continental AWS (all season tires) on my AWD STS, for the convenience. I'm sure I give up some performance in the worst of Winter and the best of Summer. It's a compromise I'm willing to accept in my car. In this climate, all season's just aren't good enough for my wife's RWD STS in Winter.

Frikiton
12-06-10, 06:20 AM
I live in the city so I don't have the luxury like most of you guys that have your own garage to save the summer tire. So I might see how these 18" performance handle in the snow & rain, I'll prob just replace them for all-season when they wear out thats what most ppl do in NYC.

AllGoNShow
12-06-10, 11:04 AM
Putting 2 winters with 2 summers is not a good idea, please don't do that.