: Steering Wheel Heater?

Platinum06
11-30-10, 01:22 PM
There was a thread out here somewhere but i can't find it....
My wheel heater is not working. Is there a fuse for this accessory?

M.A.C
11-30-10, 02:39 PM
I remember the thread. No doubt there is a fuse for the steering wheel heater element, but chances are you likely need to replace the steering wheel. But I would definitely look for a fuse and replace it just to make sure.

TobyJohnson11
11-30-10, 03:17 PM
Mine is out too. Let me know what you find out.

jedhead
11-30-10, 03:40 PM
Mine steering wheel heater failed too. Dealer replaced the wheel under warranty.

Bob

dkozloski
11-30-10, 03:52 PM
It might be wise to note that unless it's pretty cold the wheel heater doesn't do much. At normal temps it's barely detectable. At -30F it really goes to town.

parker34
11-30-10, 05:05 PM
The fuse is located under the rear seat on the passenger side....mine just went out (perfect timing) but my fuse was still good so it is the steering wheel as it is mostly all the time when they quit working.....this sounds like a plot to make everyone buy steering wheels o.O looks like there are a lot going out at the same time!! coincidence? I Think NOT!!

Platinum06
11-30-10, 05:18 PM
Thanks fpr the replies. I havent used it till this morning with it turning cold now. I have 1500 miles left on my bumper to bumper warranty. Just in time.

malatu
11-30-10, 05:21 PM
The fuse is located under the rear seat on the passenger side....mine just went out (perfect timing) but my fuse was still good so it is the steering wheel as it is mostly all the time when they quit working.....this sounds like a plot to make everyone buy steering wheels o.O looks like there are a lot going out at the same time!! coincidence? I Think NOT!!

Probably a terrorist plot!

ddalder
12-19-10, 04:23 AM
One more reason I will always buy an extended warranty. I love my heated steering wheel but the Canadian price on a replacement is right in the $1800 range. I had GMPP warranty on the last two GM vehicles I've owned and will have on my STS as well. Despite the cost, I've come out very far ahead on both previous cars! Sad thing is, I baby my vehicles and there should be no need for so much unsheduled maintenance. I love GM products (style, features, etc.) but the parts quality seems very questionable. I'm having several problems with my '08 STS as well :(

M.A.C
12-19-10, 11:01 AM
My steering wheel heater still works and I have over 180,000 miles on my STS. But I only turn it on for about a minute to warm the steering wheel. I do this to try to prevent the heating element from working too hard and burning out. I don't know if what I'm doing will ultimately help, but chances are using it a lot will ultimately cause the heating element to fail.

EChas3
12-19-10, 11:06 AM
They are thermostatically controlled but I think the heating element changed a little on the wheels and seat from early 2006 models to 2007. My wife's wheel & seats heat a bit faster and get a bit hotter than mine.

dkozloski
12-19-10, 02:44 PM
They are thermostatically controlled but I think the heating element changed a little on the wheels and seat from early 2006 models to 2007. My wife's wheel & seats heat a bit faster and get a bit hotter than mine.

My wife's butt heats up pretty fast too.

Platinum06
01-12-11, 11:59 PM
Brought it to the Dealer and they told me its the heating element in the wheel thats out. Said they have to replace the wheel.
Waited for about a month and called them to see whats up with this new wheel and when is it coming in. Was told the company that made those for GM no longer exsits...........What does that mean? SOS?

ddalder
01-13-11, 12:35 AM
The steering wheel (or at least the airbag retention portion) appears to be made by TRW Safety Systems and I really doubt they are out of business. They also manufacture seatbelts and other automotive safety products. The heating element and controller is made by W.E.T. Systemis Automotrices in Mexico. It is possible they are out of business but I haven't found anything on the internet that suggests this to be the case (although I didn't do an exhaustive search). This company makes thermal comfort technology products such as heated steering wheels, ventilation systems, heated and ventilated seats, wiring harnesses and control modules.

I would call another dealer, ask the parts department for price and where it is currently stocked. They will need your VIN for sure. You can only purchase the steering wheel as a complete assembly (wheel, element, element controller and switches) so they will have to apply a filter to the parts screen to find your specific combination. Interestingly, you can purchase each of the switch banks separately. See what they tell you.

I'm sure GM will come up with a solution or alternate vendor for this. They have too many late model vehicles with steering wheel heaters to simply discontinue the entire option across the board.

henrysy
01-13-11, 02:11 AM
Any idea how much this will cost me without the warranty???:(

ddalder
01-13-11, 02:25 AM
Any idea how much this will cost me without the warranty???:(
I would recommend you consider eBay. Some used ones are cheap enough that even if they quit you haven't got a lot of money into them. I wanted to change mine which is why I did the research. It is completely leather wrapped without a wood insert. I thought it would be nice to have the wood so I priced them out. They were all in about the $1600.00 mark. Keep in mind this is a Canadian cost and it is almost criminal what GM charges here when compared with US dealerships. I'm guessing you are looking at about $700 + an hour installation.