: Starter Problems

iamstr8fire
09-21-04, 01:30 AM
I own a 97 Deville D'elegance. Recently it has been starting very awkwardly, meaning if I leave it off a day or two it takes two or three good key turns to get it on. A couple months ago a had problem with getting the P0300 code. The repair guy said it was fuel injectors. Another strange thing is no lights are on. My uncle says not to worry about it but I want to know what it is, and what do some of you think it owuld cost to repair.

Ranger
09-21-04, 12:17 PM
P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected
Might be ignition related, plugs, wires, coil.

growe3
09-21-04, 02:32 PM
I own a 97 Deville D'elegance. Recently it has been starting very awkwardly, meaning if I leave it off a day or two it takes two or three good key turns to get it on. A couple months ago a had problem with getting the P0300 code. The repair guy said it was fuel injectors. Another strange thing is no lights are on. My uncle says not to worry about it but I want to know what it is, and what do some of you think it owuld cost to repair.

By "no lights are on", do you mean no error codes are present?

You need to check and see if any error codes have been set that may help someone guide you to a sensible repair job.

After checking the codes, I would also check the spark plugs to see what they look like. They should be clean and white in color. Look carefully at the electrodes, if the platinum tips are missing (one on the center electrode and one on the grounding prong), this could easily be a cause of hard starting. If any are tips missing I would replace the whole set, then drive it a while to see if the hard starting problem is gone.

Use only dual platinum tip plugs.
ACDelco part #41-950 is the reccommended spark plug.
Gap is .050

-George

iamstr8fire
09-21-04, 07:15 PM
By no lights are on I mean no error codes are showing. I've had this thing repaired with the same error code twice though :-/. I'm a college student so I really can't afford to keep getting it fixed. Thanks for the insight guys. Also, my uncle said it wasn't really a big deal. yes or no?

Ranger
09-22-04, 12:28 PM
Put a fuel pressure guage on the schreader valve on the fuel rail and see what kind of fuel pressure you have. Maybe a weak fuel pump causing hard starts or a stuck open FPR causing fuel to return to the tank there by causing low fuel pressure.