: Anti-glare

tomikem
11-29-10, 04:45 PM
My drivers side mirror has turned blue as if the anti-glare feature is on. Passenger side is OK.

Any ideas?

Tx_Lee
11-29-10, 04:48 PM
Only the drivers side has anti-glare enabled... I thought both had anti-glare but when i took it to the dealership, they informed me our escalades only came equipped with them on the drivers side and rear view mirror...

Old Guy
11-29-10, 05:52 PM
interesting and here I thought that maybe the pass side had been broken in the past and the previous owner cheapened out and bought a regular mirror for that side on mine... good to know.

gmercedesbenz
12-01-10, 01:06 PM
Absolutely correct, only the rear-view mirror and drivers side outside mirror are "Electrochromatic". They both enable automatically via the sensor on the back of the rear-view mirror. If you ever have to replace your mirror glass for either outside mirror, you'll notice that the driver side mirror is WAY more expensive than the passenger side mirror. (At least for my '02).

tomikem
12-01-10, 02:14 PM
The info is great guys, however my original questions was that the mirror was energized all the time and how to reset it, or any other ideas?

gmercedesbenz
12-01-10, 10:15 PM
Well from what I've read from searching online and my manuals I have around, I'm going to have to say that the mirror is not powered constantly. The mirror has two wires connected to it that correspond to the dimming feature, my assumption being power and ground, meaning that the mirror does not receive a control signal to begin dimming, dimming occurs only when those lines are powered, and if not, dimming does not occur. If you wanted to power cycle the mirror and see if that works you could do it one of two ways.

1. Remove the mirror from the housing, unplug all connectors and replace.
Or
2. Pull the battery for the entire truck, let it sit for 10 minutes just to ensure power is drained from the truck, then replace the battery.

If neither of these resets work, my assumption would be that the mirror is defective. The mirror dims via a chemical compound of some kind, which activates via power. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I know that if you crack the glass on an Electrochromatic mirror, a grey/black tar like substance is released.

Hope this helps!

tomikem
12-02-10, 03:36 PM
Wow! Great info, thank you.