: Illuminated Stereo Controls on Steering Wheel

97BLACKCAT
11-29-10, 10:46 AM
Does anyone know how the buttons on the steering wheel for the radio get power to light up? Since the lights only come on when the radio is on and are not controlled by the dash dimmer???? I am putting in an aftermarket stereo system and would like to retain the illumination of these buttons. If I knew where the power comes from I might be able to wire them up to the dash dimmer so they would still work.

jrrsmith18
11-29-10, 05:36 PM
those lights get their power from the head unit, on the factory harness pin f3, its a red and white wire. to have them power up with the aftermarket head unit just wire to the remote output on the aftermarket harness.

97BLACKCAT
12-01-10, 08:39 AM
Thanks jrrsmith18 ! I found the pin and it works great. One other question that has popped up: I can't seem to keep the constant 12V on. When I check it with my meter it has power ( while I am in the car and the ignition has been turned on and off) but I am losing it over night somehow. Every morning my new HU has lost power and no memory has been retained. Is there some sort of timer on that power? I noticed that the factory HU retained all of it's memory even being out of the car for a few days....it must have an internal battery or something??? Do I need to run a wire direct from the battery?

jrrsmith18
12-01-10, 10:36 AM
on my new hu i couldnt get it to work with the factory wires either, so for the constant power i just ran a wire from the constant power wire on the aftermarket harness to the audio fuse, or which ever one was for the bose amp my car is buried in snow once i get it out ill double check, and for the ignition wire on the aftermarket harness i ran a wire to the cruise control fuse. and to make it look clean in the fuse block i hard wired the constant power wire behind fuses, keeps it hidden, cant do the same for the ignition wire though cause other stuff uses that fuse too.