: Wierd dash fault does it again.

robb257731
11-29-10, 11:40 AM
Stumbled across yet another clue as to my wonky digital dash. The dash hasn't worked correctly since I bought the car. For the most part, the trip odometer is not lit at all. It flickered on once in awhile, and showed that it was counting correctly, but for the most part it was blank. Sometimes the actual odometer was also affected, but while never dark, certain digital bars would be out.

When I brought the car out of storage last spring, lo and behold the trip odometer came on and worked fine, then it stopped.

We've had a change in weather here, from 12C throughout October to anywhere from -3C to 3C. I've noticed that since the weather has changed the trip odometer lights consistently whenever I cold start the car. It stays on until the car warms up, then flickers off. If I park the car for an hour and it gets cold again, then the trip will come on. If the weather is over 5C when I start the car, no trip.

Coincidence or could the outside temperature actually be affecting the dash?

outsider
11-29-10, 11:51 AM
your digital cluster could be over heating or something...or you could have some kind of ground/wire fault that only happens when heat is introduced as metal moves when temperatures change.

sven914
11-29-10, 12:00 PM
It's high resistance somewhere in the circuitry. If you dismantled the cluster, would probably find green shit all over the circuit board, especially around where the LCD for the trip meter connects. Not sure how you would correct that without destroying the cluster.

robb257731
11-29-10, 04:05 PM
Has anyone on the forum ever sent a digital dash to that guy on ebay? I haven't seen his ad in awhile, but he used to advertise that he would fix a broken digital dash for something like $129.99.