: Humming noise on front driver side of my 2007 Cadillac STS AWD

GunwallsArchibald
11-29-10, 09:30 AM
Hey folks,

I'm a new caddy owner. I purchased a 2007 STS AWD certified used. My wife and I love the car so much we're thinking about replacing our 11 year old Honda with another Caddy. However, there is a humming noise in the front driver side area when I'm on the highway and turn the steering wheel counter-clockwise (left). I took the car into the dealership and they replaced the hub/bearing assembly on the front driver side. This seem to address the problem at first; however, the noise has come back 3-4 days later.

I don't put a lot of miles on this car. ie I only have a 9-10 mile commute--most of it on the highway. The vehicle has 49K miles on it.

Any help would be appreciated!

EChas3
11-29-10, 01:25 PM
Congratulations on your purchase!

Are you sure the noise is coming from the left? A right-side wheel bearing going bad can make noise only when stressed.

If you're lucky, it does it every time. Then the dealer can simply replace parts until it's fixed. CPO is great! Enjoy the loaners. My dealer uses Enterprise and I've had DTS, CTS, Tahoe & Malibu!

GunwallsArchibald
11-29-10, 01:35 PM
Congratulations on your purchase!

Are you sure the noise is coming from the left? A right-side wheel bearing going bad can make noise only when stressed.

If you're lucky, it does it every time. Then the dealer can simply replace parts until it's fixed. CPO is great! Enjoy the loaners. My dealer uses Enterprise and I've had DTS, CTS, Tahoe & Malibu!

That makes sense. I wonder if flushing the diff. fluid might help too. ie According to the CarFax report the diff. was replaced under warranty before I bought the vehicle.

I agree, CPO is the way to go when buying used luxury vehicles. I get great service from the dealer and the loaners are the same cars you mentioned: DTS, CTS, SRX, Tahoe, etc

Many thanks! I appreciate the reply!

dkozloski
11-30-10, 02:55 PM
See if the tire is a match with the rest. It might be tread noise which also varies when making turns.

caddyfat2
11-30-10, 03:28 PM
I have an 05 AWD 1SG and it's made the tire tread noise every since I purchased it.

GunwallsArchibald
11-30-10, 06:18 PM
Oooo..ty...I'll have to look into the tire thing. All the tires are the same (P235/50 R17); But they're Michelin Energy LX4's which I don't think are the greatest tire IMO.

Perhaps if the dealer doesn't find anything I'll have them rotated. What bothers me the most is it only happens when I turn the wheel to the left. It's not too loud so I'm not worried anything will "break" soon; but, I like to be proactive with maintenance on my cars.

Hopefully it is just a tire thing.

Ty!

EChas3
11-30-10, 07:55 PM
My wife's car came with those tires; hard & noisy with little tolerence for poor traction conditions. They do help mileage; if that's important to you. How many miles on the tires?

Consider replacing or rotating the tires.

GunwallsArchibald
12-01-10, 11:07 AM
My wife's car came with those tires; hard & noisy with little tolerence for poor traction conditions. They do help mileage; if that's important to you. How many miles on the tires?

Consider replacing or rotating the tires.

I'm not sure how many miles are on the tires given I just got the car in Sept. There is 7/32 of tread left on them and the car was delivered with just under 44K miles on it so I'm guessing they're relatively new. Hard to say though.

I'd hate to buy new tires this time of year (Christmas) as it bites into the budget; however, if traction is a problem I may have no choice. ie I live in Michigan and the snow is already falling.

If I do decide to bite the bullet, are there any recommendations for new tires? ie I prefer Michelin, but, willing to entertain other products. And yes...I've hit the tirerack and discounttire websites but they always list my car with a staggered set but the manufacturer tire sticker shows otherwise (P235/50 R17); I did some searching using the manufacturer default tire spec but I didn't see a lot of reviews by Caddy owners thus my request for recommendations :-)

I need good traction since I live in the great white north; Noise is priority 1b--I like quiet tires; handling is not a high priority since I have such a short commute on a straight away highway.

hellamint
12-01-10, 11:17 AM
This may not be a total apples to apples comparison, but I had a '99 Alero before I recently purchased my 2007 STS4. With the Alero, I had a humming noise coming from front drivers side, and replaced that hub, however, the noise was still there. It ended up being the passengers side hub (not sure how it sounded like it was the drivers side...). Anyhoo, you might want to have the dealership check the front passenger wheel hub.....and while its in there, you can drive another one of those great loaners!!!

BTW, i'll probably need new tires after this winter, so i'm interested in what ppl say regarding tire choices as well. Like you, I don't care about how sporty they are, rather do they work in these damned Michigan winters, and are they quiet!!!

Cheers!

EChas3
12-01-10, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure how many miles are on the tires given I just got the car in Sept. There is 7/32 of tread left on them and the car was delivered with just under 44K miles on it so I'm guessing they're relatively new. Hard to say though.

I'd hate to buy new tires this time of year (Christmas) as it bites into the budget; however, if traction is a problem I may have no choice. ie I live in Michigan and the snow is already falling.

If I do decide to bite the bullet, are there any recommendations for new tires? ie I prefer Michelin, but, willing to entertain other products. And yes...I've hit the tirerack and discounttire websites but they always list my car with a staggered set but the manufacturer tire sticker shows otherwise (P235/50 R17); I did some searching using the manufacturer default tire spec but I didn't see a lot of reviews by Caddy owners thus my request for recommendations :-)

I need good traction since I live in the great white north; Noise is priority 1b--I like quiet tires; handling is not a high priority since I have such a short commute on a straight away highway.

Those tires are probably original and acted worn out at 10,000 miles on my wife's car. IMHO, Michelins are far too hard to provide good traction in snow. The Pilot Sport A/S may be an exception.

I'm very happy with my Continental AWS All-seasons on my AWD. For a full snow tire, Brdgestone Blizzaks are outstanding on my wife's RWD STS.