: Interesting thing I found out about automatic lights.

Pjazz
11-28-10, 06:45 PM
While driving during the day I noticed my head lights were on. I couldn't figure out why. I was on the highway on a sunny day. All of a sudden my wipers pulsed. I didn't realize I they were on. I turned them off and the head lights went off.

I just thought I'd share the experience.

EChas3
11-28-10, 07:49 PM
When I picked up my car from the dealer after closing the deal, a prospective buyer asked me, "How do you get the yellow running lights to come on?" At that time, I didn't know. Neither did either of our salesmen. Welcome to the cognosci.

Enjoy the ride!

turnerbend
11-28-10, 07:49 PM
That is a unique rain sensor feature on the STS, Read your manual.

Pjazz
11-28-10, 08:07 PM
That is a unique rain sensor feature on the STS, Read your manual.

Sorry Mr. Professor. I wasn't asking a question just making a remark about an interesting feature.

turnerbend
11-29-10, 12:38 PM
Sorry Mr. Professor. I wasn't asking a question just making a remark about an interesting feature.

Not a Professor "jazzy", just believe in reading owners manuals on any product I own. This have save me a lot of headache plus I learn a lot about other features on the vehicle.

Greg00coupe
11-29-10, 01:03 PM
Reading the manual s/b a must read. There are so many new features coming out that if you do not understand them and unknowenly have them on they may cause an accident. For instance Mercedes now has a anti lane drift feature that could override your move to avoid an accident and cause you an accident.

EChas3
11-29-10, 01:10 PM
(I) just believe in reading owners manuals on any product I own.

I agree! Reading the manual is one of the joys of a new purchase, especially a car. My wife takes it a step further. Before she signed the deal for her STS, she asked the saleman if she could take it home & read it. She didn't study it but she made sure she was getting the options she wanted.

We may be suffering from OCD but we have fun. To each their own!

JGarten
11-29-10, 10:38 PM
Another feature that causes confusion is the mirror switch on the driver's door arm rest that not only selects which mirror the adjustment switches apply to but which mirror repositions down when you shift into reverse: left-center-right equates to left-off-right. I absentmindedly set the switch to the center|off position (or maybe it was right) which caused me to believe that the driver's mirror had stopped repositioning in reverse. When I had the car in for scheduled maintenance, I told them to fix it. When I picked up the car there was a hard copy print out of the owner's manual page that explains the how the switch works. At least they were polite enough not to sat RTFM to my face...Doah!

97sts
11-29-10, 11:00 PM
Such interactions is what makes this site so helpful.

550HP STSV
11-30-10, 09:45 AM
I agree, if you read the manual you wouldnt have to go online and share your joy in figuring out the automatic lights with any wiper feature on discovery.

Greg00coupe
11-30-10, 12:21 PM
Another feature that causes confusion is the mirror switch on the driver's door arm rest that not only selects which mirror the adjustment switches apply to but which mirror repositions down when you shift into reverse: left-center-right equates to left-off-right. I absentmindedly set the switch to the center|off position (or maybe it was right) which caused me to believe that the driver's mirror had stopped repositioning in reverse. When I had the car in for scheduled maintenance, I told them to fix it. When I picked up the car there was a hard copy print out of the owner's manual page that explains the how the switch works. At least they were polite enough not to sat RTFM to my face...Doah!

J Ya know if ya ran into the WRONG dealer he would have fixed it and charged you $200........their out there!

Pjazz
12-01-10, 12:21 PM
I have read through my manual, but not through every detail. I find at my age I probably would have forgotten that feature after I read it. If I do have a problem though ,that is usually the first thing I consult. Then I check the forum. :bouncy:

Roddy
12-01-10, 08:13 PM
It's the law in many states that if your wipers are on your headlights must also be on. It's nice that this feature / function harmlessly ensures everyone's compliant.

Ser24
01-31-11, 03:33 PM
While driving during the day I noticed my head lights were on. I couldn't figure out why. I was on the highway on a sunny day. All of a sudden my wipers pulsed. I didn't realize I they were on. I turned them off and the head lights went off.

I just thought I'd share the experience.

While Cadillac manuals are not very good, you could find something there.
I suspect you do not know that modern "automatic lights" will also switch the high beam ON and OFF "automatically" (and you probably has it, if an optical sensor box on the top of the windshield is not very small).

EChas3
01-31-11, 07:16 PM
TQ5 - INTELLIBEAM AUTO HIGH BEAM CONTROL is not standard. I think it is bundled with 1SG trim level.

Jloucks
01-31-11, 11:18 PM
Yea, see how long it takes you to find an explanation for what the button on your rearview mirror that looks like a headlight does in the manual. Not easy. Not logically located. Not indexed. (it turns on your auto brights feature for the headlights). My point being you have to read every single page of the manual. Hoping to thumb thru it topic by topic is not an option for this vehicle.

EChas3
02-01-11, 08:46 PM
Try the pdf version.