Cadillac Owners Forum banner

New 05 V owner with a question

995 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  AG'S-V 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I just picked up a 05 V w/ 53k miles on it yesterday.

It's got some minor cosmetic issues, but it runs good....for the most part.

I have a question though...
When shutting down the engine, its almost shutters to a stop. It's kind of bad. Like a bad motor mount.

Also, It has a bit of whine in 5 and 6th gear while driving. It doesnt sound like the diff...more of a drivetrain noise...I'm not sure.

One more question: One of my headlights started flickering on and off last night. I called the dealer today but the manager wasnt there. If they dont change it out (which they should) Can I just get a D2S HID kit from an other company so I dont have to buy the expensive GM ballast?

#2 ·
The most likely cause of the engine shutter on shut down is a bad motor mount. In fact, the only other probable cause would be a leaky fuel injector, which is pretty rare.

On the whine, try testing it with the back-seat trunk access down. If it is louder then the whine is coming from the differential. If not, it is something else.

#3 ·
Sounds like motor mounts for sure. Very common problem. I'm on my third set since I've owned the car (UUC so hopefully they hold up better). Upgrade to poly.

Edit: Darkman beat me to the reply. :D

#8 ·
Ok, so I spoke with the sales manager at the dealership I got the car from. I told him about the headlight flickering, the rear tire not holding pressure, and the motor mounts. He told me to make an appointment with service and they'll look at it, and ask there GM what to do. Hopefully they take care of it on their dime. So, I'll most likely be going up there Saturday.

Luckily, this stuff isn't too expensive, but its the principal of the thing.

when buying the car, I mentioned the rear diff whine. The saleman got me a copy of the service record for the car, and nothing came up as far as open warranties. It was a lease car so maybe it got done? I havent had a chance to look at the part # on the diff, but if its stock still and has the whine, how should I go about getting them to fix that also?

#9 ·
The first step to getting the differential replaced for the whine is to get them to admit it does whine. This is not always easy since some will blame the noise on other things such as tire noise, etc. When you arrive at the dealer the back seat access to the trunk should be open to make the whine as audible as possibile. Typically, the whine can be made to vary by small changes in gas pedal pressure at the right speeds in higher gears. This variance rules out most other causes such as tire noise.

#10 ·
Seat down, radio off...Get in 4th gear and hold 47mph with very light throttle. This should produce the loudest diff whine. Let off, it goes away..but 47 is the sweet spot. This is the easiest combo to produce on city streets if you can't get out on the highway
.e

Find a newly paved road too as this will help eliminate tire noise.

Cold weather will keep keep the diff quieter longer as well, so depending on where you are you may want to be sure there is 15 or 20 min warm up drive beforehand. If you have to leave it, spell all of this out for them..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.