: Two Wheel-cleaning/polishing products recommended to me:

SHOWGIRL
11-28-10, 03:44 PM
Hello !
The two products below were 'highly' recommended by a ' veddy'close relative (non-caddy owner but does own a 'luxury' brand)...we have the DTS 'premium' 2010 with ''chrome tech' wheels (whatever that means) .. are the below products o.k/safe to use for the wheels?
i do use the Meguires ''quick- detailer' on the body... Thanks so much (I want to avoid a 'family' clash - :halo:)

Eagle One original Never-dull wadding polish
http://www.properautocare.com/nevrdull.html

turtle wax chrome polish
http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/turtle-wax-chrome-polish-rust-remover-p-69625.html

Kenwood
11-29-10, 03:05 PM
Hi Showgirl,
I know guys who use that metal polish and they say it's pretty strong stuff. I believe it can remove paint. Given that, I avoid it just because I don't want anything that can remove paint near my car when I'm cleaning or washing it. If you put it on your wheels, then hit it with a sprayer, will some of it spray off and land onto the paint? I'm not taking that chance.

I'd be more comfortable with the Turtle wax product or one of the other major brand "All Wheels" cleaners on the market. I'm currently using Eagle One All Wheels and have been happy with it. It's safe for aluminum, chrome and painted wheels (thus, it's safe on painted surface.) I've tried Griots, but found that I had to do more scrubbing with it and I won't buy it again. I've also tried Super Clean and it was terrible.

As Caddy owners, we're lucky in that our car's brake pads don't leave that awful black brake dust on our wheels that is so common on many German cars (which may explain why your friend is using the super strong stuff).

Have a luxurious day,
Kenwood

383 LT1 SS
11-29-10, 04:02 PM
If you regularly wash your car all that is needed is a good quality car wash soap and a soft bristle brush to clean the rims. I would not recommend using wadding. When you wash your car use a separate bucket & wash mitt for the rims. Do not use the same wash mitt on the paint. If you take your car through a car wash all bets are off.

383 LT1 SS

SHOWGIRL
11-29-10, 04:05 PM
Hi Showgirl,
I know guys who use that metal polish and they say it's pretty strong stuff. I believe it can remove paint. Given that, I avoid it just because I don't want anything that can remove paint near my car when I'm cleaning or washing it. If you put it on your wheels, then hit it with a sprayer, will some of it spray off and land onto the paint? I'm not taking that chance.

I'd be more comfortable with the Turtle wax product or one of the other major brand "All Wheels" cleaners on the market. I'm currently using Eagle One All Wheels and have been happy with it. It's safe for aluminum, chrome and painted wheels (thus, it's safe on painted surface.) I've tried Griots, but found that I had to do more scrubbing with it and I won't buy it again. I've also tried Super Clean and it was terrible.

As Caddy owners, we're lucky in that our car's brake pads don't leave that awful black brake dust on our wheels that is so common on many German cars (which may explain why your friend is using the super strong stuff).

Have a luxurious day,
Kenwood
Oh wow ! it's scary to read about that 'wadding- polish' !! Our 'relative' cleaned two wheels to show us how the Turtle Polish works - amazing - pretty sure he didn't try the 'wadding (metal) polish tho =as you say - why take the chance? and if it's not necessary , why take the 'chance' ?!
... Will stick with your suggestion (Eagle One) or go to a Meguires product since i already use their 'quick detailer' spray which i love (but what do i know?! LOL) Didn't realize about Caddy vs. imports on brake dust but you're right ! ''relative' has a Lexus ...( sad - huh?! :rolleyes:)
Thanks again for your kind help !! so very much appreciated =have a great day !! - Showgirl

TulsaVic
12-01-10, 05:05 PM
I get virtually no hard to remove stuff on my chrome wheels. Not even an occasional tar smear. And very little if any brake dust. So I use (and the radicals on the CTS site will cringe) Mr. Clean in a spray bottle and one of those fabric covered sponges. Last time I tried Murphy's Oil Soap, diluted slightly, in a spray bottle and it worked great too.

Superjim
12-01-10, 07:43 PM
I use Windex and paper towels to clean the chrome wheels on my Performance Sedan.

ffrog
12-02-10, 11:22 AM
I use Windex and paper towels to clean the chrome wheels on my Performance Sedan.

You must have seen the movie “My Big Fat Greek Weeding”. The girl’s father used Windex for everything, even to get rid of a zit on her face.

I usually use NANO (sold at Pep Boys - which works great), I will try Windex the next time, thanks.

Kenwood
12-02-10, 02:55 PM
Just to expand on my earlier response, the other gentlemen here are correct. Caddys (and most GMs it appears) thankfully do not throw off a lot of brake dust, thus making cleaning the wheels a fairly easy task. You probably could get away with just washing them with the car wash soap. The only problem I end up having is water spots on the chrome after washing.

Superjim
12-02-10, 03:48 PM
Just to expand on my earlier response, the other gentlemen here are correct. Caddys (and most GMs it appears) thankfully do not throw off a lot of brake dust, thus making cleaning the wheels a fairly easy task. You probably could get away with just washing them with the car wash soap. The only problem I end up having is water spots on the chrome after washing.

That's where the WIndex comes in handy...:) :)

Jim

toys4us43
12-02-10, 11:35 PM
I have also noticed that there is very little brake dust. I also have a Mercury Montego that has ceramic brake pad which produce very little dust and last forever. My front pads have 57000 miles on them, and are still going strong. As far as using paper towels on your rims, my detailer told me to only use micro fiber cloths on the car and it will always look new.

SHOWGIRL
12-03-10, 09:21 AM
Hi everyone - great idea about the micro-cloths - so appreciate you all helping with your great ideas !!! 'DTS-SHOWGIRL' :thumbsup: