: $$Better Gas mileage??$$

getlade247
11-27-10, 09:13 PM
Hey guy, i have a 07 ext and just curious if anyone has any tips/tricks/ or ideas on getting better gas mileage?
Will a higher octane then 87 make a difference?
Thanks guys

Noob
11-27-10, 09:27 PM
I thought all escalades took premium (91+). So yea, using 91 or 93 octane would probably be beneficial, also I'm not sure if the 07's had active fuel management, but staying off the gas or being light on the gas pedal keeps it in 4 cycl mode longer...

getlade247
11-27-10, 09:57 PM
well mine dosent have the fuel managment:(..and about the 87octance..I forgot to mention im canadian, and our highest octane is 91.(reg87,mid89,sup91) And if u check the manual it says "in canada 87 can be used but might reduce acceleration" right now im running 89octance but was just curious if ppl notice more gas mileage with a higher octane or even a diffrence in performance?

krieghoff
11-27-10, 10:37 PM
Oh good luck with that!!! LOL

getlade247
11-28-10, 12:14 AM
good luck?

Bear
11-28-10, 01:27 AM
You should get a little better mileage with 91 but not much. Active fuel management is a 2010 and above feature. The EXT is heavy and with my 2003 I was lucky to get more than 11 in town. My 2010 is getting 12 now but it is still new. 17 on the highway with the 2003, don't yet know about the 2010 but I expect 18 or 19 if I'm lucky.

When I first picked it up they had filled it with E85. Talk about something that kills mileage!!! I just managed 10 driving like there was an egg under the peddle ( break in). Never again.

paidge7
11-28-10, 11:49 AM
Well, in canada when i bought it they told me regular 87 octane is what its supposed to go in that truck ..... i am not sure if i should swith to premium 91 ?? will it affect some things in the truck ? if it will make a difference in gas mileage of 1% only ill stay with 87 because of the difference in price anyway

Bear
11-28-10, 12:43 PM
In the US the manual for the 2010 as well as my 2003 "recommends" 91 octane. It does go on to state that anything 87 or higher can be used but acceleration may be slightly reduced. There is no mention of lower mileage but I would expect a slight drop. I don't think you'll see enough of a change switching to 91, could be wrong.

You could always try a tank just to test but I'd recommend that you run the current tank to almost empty before filling with 91.

krieghoff
11-28-10, 01:29 PM
I always use 91 because I always pull a 3150# trailer.

I used to get 10.7mpg and now I get 10.4mpg. Go figure.

lousy_investor
11-28-10, 10:35 PM
Interesting... glad to see fellow Canadians on 87. I asked the same question a few months ago here because the sales manager told me the truck would take 87 and he always puts 87 in every car he has ever driven. He insisted that very few engines out there today actually require anything higher. I guess we can debate this till the cows come home. Some believe the 91 is just a gimmick, which others swear by it. Most of the feedback I got here was "if you spend so much on the truck, why bother with the few pennies savings on gasoline?" I have switched between 87 and 91 for a month or two and I couldn't tell the difference in terms of performance. I also use very unscientific method of checking mileage by looking at the DIC reading. 91 seems to constantly keeps me below 20l/100km on city only driving. That thing is all over the map though. At the end I decided to switch to 91 after I was done "testing". Now I may switch back to 87 for a few weeks just to see. :)

Rolex
11-28-10, 10:39 PM
Keep the tires aired up and ease off the throttle.

Robert (GA)
11-29-10, 06:35 PM
I have used 93 octane since I bought my ESV last year. My gas mileage directly correlates to the weight of my foot. If I drive with a light foot i get 13-14 city and 18 highway. All the gas is now 10% ethanol in my area and it definitely affects my mileage. I was in Atlanta recently and had the DIC showing my fuel economy. I jumped on it to get ahead of some traffic and watched the fuel economy number count down as I accelerated. My feeling is I bought the ESV for looks and enjoyment, not for gas mileage. So i am lucky to get 10-11 city, but I have fun doing it.

krieghoff
11-29-10, 08:13 PM
If you can't drive it like an ESV you might as well have bought a mini pickup! LOL

Just By Chance
11-29-10, 09:51 PM
I am also using 87, and am questioning if using a higher grade will help. To those who track how many kms you are getting per tank...how much are you getting? I am lucky if I get 500kms per tank. Would be interesting to see what others are getting.

Dobiesdaddy
11-29-10, 09:54 PM
I'd run 5w30 Amsoil in the crankcase and their Ea Oil Filter. Amsoil ATF in the tranny... last but not least their Ea Air Filter.

Once every 5,000 miles use their Performance Improver.

Should help with uping the MPG fer sure!

And yes our vehicles are made for Premium fuel.

Dobiesdaddy
11-29-10, 09:58 PM
Interesting... glad to see fellow Canadians on 87. I asked the same question a few months ago here because the sales manager told me the truck would take 87 and he always puts 87 in every car he has ever driven. He insisted that very few engines out there today actually require anything higher. I guess we can debate this till the cows come home. Some believe the 91 is just a gimmick, which others swear by it. Most of the feedback I got here was "if you spend so much on the truck, why bother with the few pennies savings on gasoline?" I have switched between 87 and 91 for a month or two and I couldn't tell the difference in terms of performance. I also use very unscientific method of checking mileage by looking at the DIC reading. 91 seems to constantly keeps me below 20l/100km on city only driving. That thing is all over the map though. At the end I decided to switch to 91 after I was done "testing". Now I may switch back to 87 for a few weeks just to see. :)

With cold weather up there 87 might get by. Get summer time tho you'll see pinging fer sure eh.

lousy_investor
11-29-10, 11:24 PM
I have used 93 octane since I bought my ESV last year. My gas mileage directly correlates to the weight of my foot. If I drive with a light foot i get 13-14 city and 18 highway. All the gas is now 10% ethanol in my area and it definitely affects my mileage. I was in Atlanta recently and had the DIC showing my fuel economy. I jumped on it to get ahead of some traffic and watched the fuel economy number count down as I accelerated. My feeling is I bought the ESV for looks and enjoyment, not for gas mileage. So i am lucky to get 10-11 city, but I have fun doing it.

GREAT point about the ethanol. That reminds me of one of my reasons for sticking with 91. At my local gas station, it says up to 10% ethanol added to all grades except 91. I attributed that to the seemingly improved mileage. But now I got all curious. Will switch to 87 for two tanks just for fun :)

As for pinging, I didn't hear/feel anything when I was on 87 back in the warm days... then again I don't know what a ping sounds/feels like :D

Big Windy Ext
11-30-10, 07:45 AM
I wonder if you changed the differential oil to a low viscosity if that wouldn't get you .25 more mpg . Unless its already 75wt instead of 90wt on the low side of the multi viscosity . I wouldn't go lower than GM calls for and blow the warranty either . You could run higher tire pressure , remove the cargo rack and drive like a little old lady …………………NAH NO WAY , I bought a 400+ hp Caddy to DRIVE !!:burn:

sksmoker
11-30-10, 03:34 PM
The 09 my wife drives gets 642km per tank and are avg 16.1L combined highway and city. We run 87 in it since we got it in august. No pinging or other effects from when we ran 91 octane on our road trip of 1600km. No mileage change over the entire round trip using 91 on pretty flat terrain. The truck doesn't seem to notice if it has 91 or 87 in it from my testing. It runs the same either way.

C66 Racing
12-02-10, 08:11 PM
And I'd add changing out the diff fluid with a good synthetic gear lube would help as well.

If anyone does desire to take up Dobiesdaddy's recommendation, drop me a PM so I can ensure you get dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, on all AMSOIL products via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Preferredcustomer.htm).

Josuave
12-10-10, 11:17 AM
I'm Canadian, I always fill up with 91 Octane, and get about 500km's a tank. Most of my driving is city, with maybe 200km of the 500 on the highway. I drove down to Georgia this summer and got over 800km a tank. I religiously reset the stats when I fill up and always drive it right down to empty. I consistantly get about 19-20 L/100 Km which i think is about 11-12 mpg.

I say why cheap out on your gasoline to save yourself $10 every fillup?

lousy_investor
12-11-10, 05:11 PM
I say why cheap out on your gasoline to save yourself $10 every fillup?

That's the most comment response I got when I asked the same question. I suppose if I have unlimited budget that it is the best approach to life. Just get the best possible options regardless whether it makes a difference or not. I wish I could conduct my life that way. But if I couldn't tell the difference between a hero burger and the one at McD's (but of course I do), why would I want to pay more? Just because I can afford it? It is always an allocation of limited resource and we all want to be wise spenders.

Having said that, I am about half way thru my first tank of 87 and I am getting 21L/100km as compared to 18.6L/100km. That alone shoudl justify the use of 91. It has been extremely cold in the last week or so just when I switched over so that could play a role in this. But my wife just teased me about it this morning saying I had the exact same conclusion last time around and wonder why i was doing it again. I told her someone on the message board sparked the idea. :)

getlade247
12-12-10, 11:57 PM
great anwsers guys..i appreciate all the responses :D...

Josuave
12-17-10, 09:24 AM
It has been said before Gentlemen; we're driving $90K luxury vehicles, not $2K 'college student specials'!

lousy_investor
12-17-10, 11:03 AM
It has been said before Gentlemen; we're driving $90K luxury vehicles, not $2K 'college student specials'!

And that's precisely why the Lexus recommended premium gasoline, on vehicles with the exact same engine as their toyota counterparts running on regular. They claim the Lexus engines have been tuned differently but all the input/output specs are identical. I suppose they can tune it so that it will only take premium without providing any benefits. I guess they want to cater to the crowd that want to feel superior "My engine only takes premium"

Again, having said all that, based on my very unscientific experiments I have found the extra mileage I get from using premium more than compensate for the extra money I have to pay for it so I am sticking with it. They put 10% ethanol in anything but premium where I live.

I am just finding it irritating, perhaps because I am an engineer myself, of the notion that more expensive always automatically means better and more suitable, and a legit question keeps getting belittled by comments like these.

zam2000
12-20-10, 05:51 PM
I bumped the tire pressure on the tire from 29psi to 31 psi, and the gas mileage got 15% better, along with better handling. Used to get 10 mgp, now 11.5 mpg !!.

Try to gain 15% better gas mileage on any other car, would be almost impossible :-)

Wife complains that the ride is a bit rough though.

sdizzyday
12-21-10, 12:44 PM
I have 45,000km and get 650+km per tank (just over 100 liters) about 60% hiway and don't drive like a granny. No real noticable performance or milage difference between 87 and 91 octane for me (usually 15-16 l/100km). In the summer I pull a 7000# holiday trailer and CAN notice a power increase with the 91 octane compared to 87, but milage doesen't seem to vary much between them (24-28 l/100km) wind is the biggest factor while towing.

desidon
12-21-10, 01:26 PM
On my 2007... I did notice an increase in mileage after an oil change... I used to get 17 hgwy...not get 20 and used to get 12-13 in the city and now I get 14 ish.

lousy_investor
12-21-10, 04:29 PM
I have 45,000km and get 650+km per tank (just over 100 liters) about 60% hiway and don't drive like a granny. No real noticable performance or milage difference between 87 and 91 octane for me (usually 15-16 l/100km). In the summer I pull a 7000# holiday trailer and CAN notice a power increase with the 91 octane compared to 87, but milage doesen't seem to vary much between them (24-28 l/100km) wind is the biggest factor while towing.

Nice!!! I do 90% city driving and my average is 21.6l/100km with 87, 18.6 or so with 91. Again very unscientific test results :)

sksmoker
12-22-10, 02:41 PM
I bumped the tire pressure on the tire from 29psi to 31 psi, and the gas mileage got 15% better, along with better handling. Used to get 10 mgp, now 11.5 mpg !!.

Try to gain 15% better gas mileage on any other car, would be almost impossible :-)

Wife complains that the ride is a bit rough though.

The door jamb states 35 psi for proper tire inflation for the 22". Not sure if you have them or the 18's, but try running stock psi and see what happens. I keep the tires at 35 as much as possible, and we are getting 16 all around, city/hwy. On the road trip in Nov, we got 840km on one tank of 87.

WaterKing
12-25-10, 05:46 AM
Maybe I have exceptions but my 2008 EXT with 15k miles gets 18-19MPG (sometimes a bit higher, if I DO NOT use cruise control) open road country driving, 15MPG in town or heavy footing, 14-16MPG towing small trailer with stock 22's but it has a blackish tailpipe outlet. But my 2007 EXT(more than 600lbs heavier than the 2008), with 60K miles gets CONSISTENTY 20-21MPG (and sometimes higher) under the same country driving, 17-18MPG in town, 16-17 towing with 24's (Speedo corrected), 3" drop front/rear, Borla exhaust, GMP CAI, and Blackbear engine/transmission tune with virtually no black residue on exhaust and a real neck snapping shifts under full throttle. I am considered by most who ride with me as a hard driver. I always us 91-93 octane and just drove this week across two states and got 21.1 round trip on the 2007 confirmed by hard records (DIC said 21.2) mostly at 79MPH. I get better MPG if I stay below 65 MPH. I always use synthetic's in all oil areas and 39PSI in all right tires, 38 in the lefts. The 2007 engine seems to more easily rev with less throttle(Blackbear tune), seems to be less slowed down by wind (Lowered?), and is definitely less noticeably affected by towing which I hardly even think about. Cruise control will cost me AT LEAST 1MPG if I allow it to run in hilly areas because it is very aggressive and will often downshift twice to maintain speed. I know of no other big truck with this level of performance and comfort that can get this level of economy. If your pipe end(s) are blackish I think you are suffering from the very rich tune GM seems to provide and I think these engines require at least 10K to loosen up for best mileage. All fuel used here has the 10% ethanol warning....I have not tried 87 or 89 octane fuel.

stephenstay
01-04-11, 02:09 AM
I'm not sure how much the ECM "learns" from the fuel type and your driving habits. I had the vehicle returned from the dealer after some servicing and they had the battery disconnected. There was some pinging and clattering for a very short while and soon after everything was smooth and quiet. You might want to disconnect the battery for a period of time to reset the ECM before changing your fuels and see what the results are. If the ecm has retarded the spark for 87 octane you might never find out how much difference the 91 or 93 makes. Just a thought. Oh, btw, depending on where you live in Canada Cheveron does provide 93 octane premium.

uflj50
01-04-11, 08:07 AM
If you really want better miles per gallon like I'm gettin in my 2010, the best thing is when your going down hill it to put it in "N" and watch the trip computer go to work.It really works. As for fuel grades mine runs as good on the cheap stuff as it does the high grade. Not enough difference in the MPG to spend the extra bucks. No knocks or pings either.

JokerDev
01-07-11, 04:33 PM
+1 on tire pressures. Keep them at specs and it'll help in the long run