: Touchscreen Monitor Install for Carputer Applications

sba300
11-26-10, 11:34 PM
Anyone consider installing a touchscreen monitor in the floor console in place of the cupholders - between the Hazard Light/Traction Control switches and the armrest console? It's annoying that our VGA quality NAV screen has no aftermarket options for VGA inputs. I was thinking maybe a DVI/HDMI capable monitor. What do you guys think? This is for a '06 STS btw.

rzambrano
11-29-10, 12:22 AM
That would be interesting for the fellow who has enough time on his hands. But in Economics terms, I don't see how many "utils" this can produced. In other words, I don't see how a monitor in that specific place can be very useful.

The only other thing, which is way out there, is if this screen controlled the cars functions, such as headlights, windows, etc.

malatu
11-29-10, 10:46 AM
I like driving the car when I'm in the car.... I like using my computer when I'm at my office desk or in my "comfy chair". I couldn't be bothered as well as don't really see the point.

dkozloski
12-01-10, 04:13 AM
Voice commands that work are way sexier than a touch screen.

Midnight
12-01-10, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure why you'd need higher quality video in that location. Plus, then you'd have no cupholders!
I used to dream of setting up a carputer, and was working on a project (in a different less full featured car) when the first radios with USB inputs came out, that ended my project pretty quick. If I were to try again at this point I'd probably start with a cheap tablet computer and just mount that somewhere. It could be cool if you interface with one of those OBDII modules that gives you real time inputs. However, you could install a lockpick and send it to the built in nav screen too (I saw a pic in a thread where someone did this, it was pretty slick). As for as media, well I've seen people install headrest screens for rear passengers in another thread, and honestly if your passenger wants to watch something and a lockpick doesn't cut it, it's hard to beat a tablet or ipad or even a normal laptop.

So I guess the real question is, what do you want it to do?

sba300
12-03-10, 12:02 AM
Well I didn't want a monitor there for viewing pleasure when I was driving obviously. I'm the kind of guy that will even turn off the radio to hear the engine when I'm driving, from time to time. So, I guess this ties in with a project that I had in mind that had to do with hacking of the GMLAN network in the car. I was following some of the work that people have done with their impalas and GTOs. So I started messing around with it (just listening in on packets on the GMLAN, nothing invasive), and I managed to pull a few commands for remote locks, trunk lid release, remote start, volume control, power window control (you guys get the idea). I wanted a computer in the car to initiate the transfer of these commands to the GMLAN when prompted. I guess I could possibly run it headless, and have it hooked up to an lcd in my garage if i needed to, but it seems that it would just be easier to have a monitor somewhere in the car. GM/Onstar are releasing such options on their newer cars, but are not offering any options that we can retrofit into our older cars to use such features. In any case, I was just pondering. Figured it might be a fun weekend project. I don't drink or eat in my car so I have absolutely no need for the cupholders. I have the tray closed, and put my phone on top of it. :)

rzambrano
12-03-10, 01:28 AM
Well I didn't want a monitor there for viewing pleasure when I was driving obviously. I'm the kind of guy that will even turn off the radio to hear the engine when I'm driving, from time to time. So, I guess this ties in with a project that I had in mind that had to do with hacking of the GMLAN network in the car. I was following some of the work that people have done with their impalas and GTOs. So I started messing around with it (just listening in on packets on the GMLAN, nothing invasive), and I managed to pull a few commands for remote locks, trunk lid release, remote start, volume control, power window control (you guys get the idea). I wanted a computer in the car to initiate the transfer of these commands to the GMLAN when prompted. I guess I could possibly run it headless, and have it hooked up to an lcd in my garage if i needed to, but it seems that it would just be easier to have a monitor somewhere in the car. GM/Onstar are releasing such options on their newer cars, but are not offering any options that we can retrofit into our older cars to use such features. In any case, I was just pondering. Figured it might be a fun weekend project. I don't drink or eat in my car so I have absolutely no need for the cupholders. I have the tray closed, and put my phone on top of it. :)

Keep me posted. If you have success with this, you can make yourself some pretty cool $$$.

sba300
12-03-10, 01:24 PM
Well, I have already sniffed a good number of packets. At the very least I can manually do the unlock/lock, trunk release, remote start. I'll figure out the panic button soon. That is all of what the GM/Onstar app does. The rest of the stuff is just OBD data ( I think). Stuff like oil pressure, oil level, fuel level, so on and so forth. That is over a different port. My problem right now is having to compile all the AT commands into a suitable automated script that I can run easily. I'm a molecular biologist by profession, and as such, have very limited programming knowledge. If someone can point me to a good resource for AT programming in C, I might be able to come up with a rough draft.

I will try and sniff more commands. I'm particularly interested in climate control. I wonder if that is tied into the GMLAN. Power windows, volume control all seem a little...useless! :/ Anything else you guys think would be interesting to sniff out?

EChas3
12-03-10, 05:13 PM
HVAC control is available to Voice Recognition, so there is definately hope (IMHO). I understand you'd prefer VGA display but you do have analog video inputs and wireless keyboard/mouse setups are cheap. There are also a lot of small periphrials available for in-the-field data acquisition PC's.

rzambrano
12-03-10, 08:00 PM
Well, I have already sniffed a good number of packets. At the very least I can manually do the unlock/lock, trunk release, remote start. I'll figure out the panic button soon. That is all of what the GM/Onstar app does. The rest of the stuff is just OBD data ( I think). Stuff like oil pressure, oil level, fuel level, so on and so forth. That is over a different port. My problem right now is having to compile all the AT commands into a suitable automated script that I can run easily. I'm a molecular biologist by profession, and as such, have very limited programming knowledge. If someone can point me to a good resource for AT programming in C, I might be able to come up with a rough draft.

I will try and sniff more commands. I'm particularly interested in climate control. I wonder if that is tied into the GMLAN. Power windows, volume control all seem a little...useless! :/ Anything else you guys think would be interesting to sniff out?

I am familiar with C Programming, did it last semester, I can help you with it if you want.

sba300
12-03-10, 11:32 PM
HVAC control is available to Voice Recognition, so there is definately hope (IMHO). I understand you'd prefer VGA display but you do have analog video inputs and wireless keyboard/mouse setups are cheap. There are also a lot of small periphrials available for in-the-field data acquisition PC's.

I considered getting a VGA to RCA adapter, but it doesn't sound like the quality of the image will be any good. Text especially will be too garbled. But I wouldn't mind a wireless input device. The logitech di novo minis are nice.

sba300
12-03-10, 11:41 PM
I am familiar with C Programming, did it last semester, I can help you with it if you want.

Are you familiar with serial port programming in C? I'll just need to send a bunch of AT commands in quick succession for each desired action. Then it will just be a matter of designing a front end to initiate each action. The packet sniffing is the most time-intensive part.

rzambrano
12-04-10, 04:56 AM
Im not exactly sure but would it look something like this:

Lets say the incoming command is xy...

if (sd (sd is a placeholder) == xy)
{
open window (for simplicity)
}

Like that? Or is it something completely different.