: Need help identifying a part on the trans...

jimsbox
11-26-10, 05:20 PM
I am putting this thing back together and there is a small plastic electronic component (black, about 1/2" thick and probably 2" square) mounted below the connector coming out of the transmission. I suspect it may be a sensor for SRS to trigger the air bags but I can't confirm what it is. The transmission came from a salvage yard and if it is such a sensor it may need to be replaced(?) if the vehicle was in an accident. Does anyone know what this component is and whether it is safe to reuse it? It has a connector with several wires in it and it is mounted with one bolt. Any assistance would be appreciated. I don't know where else to look.

Jim

Submariner409
11-26-10, 05:40 PM
Sure this isn't a multiple ground point ? No air bag sensors there.........

jimsbox
11-26-10, 05:52 PM
Sub, you know that may be it. The cable was dyked at the connector and it looks like it has a removable cover. I didn't want to disturb it if it might have been an accelerometer for the SRS. I will see if I can open it and also do some resistance checks on the connector, if it is a ground terminator they should all have continuity to ground at the connector on the module. I will bet you are right. I went through the parts diagrams at GMpartsgiant and could not find any reference pictures showing it in transmissions, brakes or electrical. I will let you know what I find.

Thanks,

Jim

RippyPartsDept
11-26-10, 06:05 PM
got a picture?
... that way you can save about a thousand words

jimsbox
11-26-10, 07:00 PM
I am trying but I can't figure out how to post the image...suggestions?

jimsbox
11-26-10, 07:06 PM
OK, I tried putting it in Photobucket, see if this works:

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/jimsbox/th_SDC10179.jpg?t=1290812691
I can get to it ok. You might want to go to view on your tool bar and do a 200% to see it better. It is just to the left of the grey connector in the picture of the trans.

RippyPartsDept
11-26-10, 07:39 PM
ok i managed to find your profile on there and get the full size picture
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480/jimsbox/SDC10179.jpg

black box with the cream/tan top, right?

i'll have to look into this... might have to ask one of my techs on monday
maybe someone else can figure this out before then

jimsbox
11-26-10, 07:43 PM
Yes, that is it. I opened it up and it jumpers all the pins in the connector together, looks like Sub was right again.

Chris, how did you post the image?

RippyPartsDept
11-26-10, 07:57 PM
get the 'direct link' then post it with img tags surrounding the link

like this

directlink

jimsbox
11-26-10, 08:02 PM
Thanks for your help Cris and Sub.

Jim