Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2006 STS Opinions?

12K views 117 replies 23 participants last post by  Frikiton 
#1 ·
Whats up guys .. I am new here and just wanted to start saying that I'm a new driver been driving a Toyota Avalon XL 2002 w/ 146k miles (my dads car) for the past 6months. Since I live in the city I didn't really saw the need for my license or a car til 6months ago I got a job out of state and saw the perfect opportunity to get my stuff going.

Recently, I been looking at various options for my first real car and for the past few months I'd liked the Infiniti g35 or Accord, but last week my cousin that buys cars through Insurance Auctions recommended me that I get into an American car I said sure.

Today I bought a Cadillac STS 2006 V6 w/ Navigation =).. black on black ..Now since I'm new to cars and def to Cadillac, I wanted to know what you STS owners think/like etc about yours.

I'm also curious to know what are the factory specs on a 2006 STS V6?
What size of Rims, wheels, are they all season or summer tire, and other features that are worth knowing.

Thanks look forward to meet a lot of STS owners.

#7 ·
Thanks =)
I'm anxious to drive it
Just hoping the tires are all-season since in New York City it can Rain any given day (hard or light), puddles are found everywhere, snow in the winter is random as well sometimes will snow hard sometimes will snow light.

#6 ·
Thanks, can't wait to go check my car out myself next week. I didn't ask my cousin if it came w/ manual or not, so I'd have to wait and see before I purchase those manuals.
hopefully someone on this board with a V6 fully loaded 06 STS might have the manual on pdf or something

#4 ·
If you want to know what options your car came with you can go to compnine.com put in your vin and it will give you all the rpo codes your car came with. I was lucky with my 2006 to find the original window sticker in the glove box to tell me what the car came with! Congrats on buying American and Cadillac!!! I didnt think 18 in. wheels were an option on the V6 cars but i could be wrong.

#8 ·
I purchased my 2006-4 last December..... It's performed flawlessly.... I love it! Enjoy.

And I concur with Koz.... get a manual... you can't begin to understand and take advantage of all the "niceties" associated with these cars without one! You can pick an original manual on Ebay for a reasonable cost if you are patient. LOL, I didn't' think one came with mine so I purchased one on ebay. The same day I was having it detailed and the detail guy found my manual in the passenger side door! The seller of the ebay manual kindly canceled the sale upon my explanation (I also sent the seller $5.00 for a processing fee... it was worth it). I think the ebay manual sold between $35 and 45 for the complete original manual.

#12 ·
The manual comes in a nice leather pouch. Funny - Only my manual fits in mine; not the Navigation suppliment. My wife's 2007 leather pouch holds both the manual and the Nav suppliment!

It may be tucked up high in the glove box. There is a special spot for it. It leaves room for a pair of gloves.

#15 ·
Congrats on your purchase, and be ready to learn something new about it everyday. That was the way it was with me for the first 30 days!

#17 ·
Same as mine, I been so busy with work that I haven't been able to get it yet but my cousin is holding it for me in his mechanic's parking.

Mine has the 9 spokes 18" rims I saw in the pics she showed me, Navigation, black interior, black exterior .. so I am getting its the Luxury Performance Package as well as yours?

Can't wait to go see it

#20 ·
Put in what your manual states. If it calls for regular, premium won't hurt your engine but it will be a waste of money. If it calls for premium, using regular has the potential to damage the engine. Understand that premium gas isn't better gas, it's just different gas. It has a higher flash point.

Do a search on the topic. There's been some lengthy discussions on the topic on this forum.

#24 ·
Higher octane fuel burns slower. IMHO, the additive package is more important than octane as long as you don't experience engine 'ping'. We burn Top Tier regular unleaded (87 octane 10% ethanol RFG from Shell or Tri-Par) with no ping in our N*'s.

Opinions vary and many forum members feel very strongly about this topic. I think only the 2008 & later STS V-6 (and all STS-V's) require premium.

#27 ·
Thanks for setting me straight, KR. I thought it did. The manual recommends Premium for my N* but says other grades are acceptable unless there's a problem.

Burns slower meaning more gas per mileage ?
Not necessarily. Octane helps the gas & air mixture under high compression to burn in a controlled fashion rather than explode. The 'ping' is also know as 'detonation'. Using an octane too low can cause damage because detonation can crack pistons and burn both pistons & valves. These engines have sensors that are designed to tell the engine control module to retard timing and adjust for lower octane fuels.

There are over a hundred different formulations of gasoline in the US. The one used in the Milwaukee area is relatively rare and is subject to unexpected price fluctuations not related to the price of oil or taxes. I had a Lincoln with Ford's 4.6l and it got around 10% better mileage on ethanol-free premium. My STS doesn't seem to care.

Find a Top Tier gas that works well for you and enjoy the ride!

#32 ·
No Knock or ping and accepatable performance? You're OK.

If you use other fuels without trouble, OK.

If Hess saves $0.10 a gallon, go ahead & use it. You should consider more frequent throttle-body service (cleaning) or techron gasoline additives. Don't count on cheap gas to keep your engine clean.

It's just a car. Enjoy the ride.

#33 ·
So everyone keeps telling me bad it is to have a RWD car especially for snow/rain how different it is from a FWD?

Also, has anyone installed an aftermarket sub + amp on their caddy ?
My caddy has a nice system, but I already have a bandpass (2x12" subs) enclosure from my previous car and want to see if I can include it on my sts now. 1500watts audiopipe amp + 1500watts subs pkg

#34 ·
RWD is all we used to have before FWD became the standard drive system and yes they do handle much different in the snow. Its much easier to pull than to push. I have a 1970 Olds Toronado that is one of the first FWD and is great in the snow I bought the AWD STS because it is my wife's car and I just felt better her having that extra security with the road conditions in Utah. If the car was just mine I would have gone RWD because they are more fun to drive. as far as the stereo I think the stock system is just fine. I have the bose 5.1 15 speakers, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

#40 ·
It is an available option.

#49 ·
Replacement bulbs provide a color change and do give some better lighting. If replacing bulbs were an easily task on the STS, I'd say experiment until your satisfied. Having to remove the whole front facsia or going in through the wheel well is a lot of work for maybe not so much gain in lighting performance. Drive the car for a while you may find after getting used to it they are just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.