: 2006 STS Opinions?

Frikiton
11-26-10, 02:58 PM
Whats up guys .. I am new here and just wanted to start saying that I'm a new driver been driving a Toyota Avalon XL 2002 w/ 146k miles (my dads car) for the past 6months. Since I live in the city I didn't really saw the need for my license or a car til 6months ago I got a job out of state and saw the perfect opportunity to get my stuff going.

Recently, I been looking at various options for my first real car and for the past few months I'd liked the Infiniti g35 or Accord, but last week my cousin that buys cars through Insurance Auctions recommended me that I get into an American car I said sure.

Today I bought a Cadillac STS 2006 V6 w/ Navigation =).. black on black ..Now since I'm new to cars and def to Cadillac, I wanted to know what you STS owners think/like etc about yours.

I'm also curious to know what are the factory specs on a 2006 STS V6?
What size of Rims, wheels, are they all season or summer tire, and other features that are worth knowing.

Thanks look forward to meet a lot of STS owners.

EChas3
11-26-10, 04:10 PM
Congratulations on your purchase.

dkozloski
11-26-10, 04:27 PM
Your first step should be obtaining an owner's manual with NAV supplement for your car and reading it thoroughly. You car has so many features and functions there is no other way to become familiar with them. These manuals are available in PDF format or from www.helminc.com.

torogt
11-27-10, 10:27 AM
If you want to know what options your car came with you can go to compnine.com put in your vin and it will give you all the rpo codes your car came with. I was lucky with my 2006 to find the original window sticker in the glove box to tell me what the car came with! Congrats on buying American and Cadillac!!! I didnt think 18 in. wheels were an option on the V6 cars but i could be wrong.

Frikiton
11-27-10, 10:34 AM
If you want to know what options your car came with you can go to compnine.com put in your vin and it will give you all the rpo codes your car came with. I was lucky with my 2006 to find the original window sticker in the glove box to tell me what the car came with! Congrats on buying American and Cadillac!!! I didnt think 18 in. wheels were an option on the V6 cars but i could be wrong.

Thanks for the info, I was looking at the pdf for the 2006 & I know mine has 9 spokes so I figured its the 18"

Frikiton
11-27-10, 10:35 AM
Your first step should be obtaining an owner's manual with NAV supplement for your car and reading it thoroughly. You car has so many features and functions there is no other way to become familiar with them. These manuals are available in PDF format or from www.helminc.com.

Thanks, can't wait to go check my car out myself next week. I didn't ask my cousin if it came w/ manual or not, so I'd have to wait and see before I purchase those manuals.
hopefully someone on this board with a V6 fully loaded 06 STS might have the manual on pdf or something

Frikiton
11-27-10, 10:36 AM
Congratulations on your purchase.

Thanks =)
I'm anxious to drive it
Just hoping the tires are all-season since in New York City it can Rain any given day (hard or light), puddles are found everywhere, snow in the winter is random as well sometimes will snow hard sometimes will snow light.

malatu
11-27-10, 12:01 PM
I purchased my 2006-4 last December..... It's performed flawlessly.... I love it! Enjoy.

And I concur with Koz.... get a manual... you can't begin to understand and take advantage of all the "niceties" associated with these cars without one! You can pick an original manual on Ebay for a reasonable cost if you are patient. LOL, I didn't' think one came with mine so I purchased one on ebay. The same day I was having it detailed and the detail guy found my manual in the passenger side door! The seller of the ebay manual kindly canceled the sale upon my explanation (I also sent the seller $5.00 for a processing fee... it was worth it). I think the ebay manual sold between $35 and 45 for the complete original manual.

cooncat
11-27-10, 06:24 PM
Congrats on the purchase of your STS. You are going to love. I have a 2006 STS SE with northstar. I love mine. It is a great crusing car. I find it to be very comfortable.

Frikiton
11-27-10, 07:05 PM
I purchased my 2006-4 last December..... It's performed flawlessly.... I love it! Enjoy.

And I concur with Koz.... get a manual... you can't begin to understand and take advantage of all the "niceties" associated with these cars without one! You can pick an original manual on Ebay for a reasonable cost if you are patient. LOL, I didn't' think one came with mine so I purchased one on ebay. The same day I was having it detailed and the detail guy found my manual in the passenger side door! The seller of the ebay manual kindly canceled the sale upon my explanation (I also sent the seller $5.00 for a processing fee... it was worth it). I think the ebay manual sold between $35 and 45 for the complete original manual.

Just found the manual on the cadillac website , i hope its the complete one :)
Going in a week or two to check out the car my cousin is doing everything for me since I work too much and the car is out of state.

Frikiton
11-27-10, 07:06 PM
Congrats on the purchase of your STS. You are going to love. I have a 2006 STS SE with northstar. I love mine. It is a great crusing car. I find it to be very comfortable.

Thanks, sweet ride you have =)
I think the V6 is more than adequate for me since I want to save some gas as well , can't wait to have it.
How do you deal with it in the snow? stock wheels?

EChas3
11-27-10, 07:07 PM
The manual comes in a nice leather pouch. Funny - Only my manual fits in mine; not the Navigation suppliment. My wife's 2007 leather pouch holds both the manual and the Nav suppliment!

It may be tucked up high in the glove box. There is a special spot for it. It leaves room for a pair of gloves.

turnne
11-27-10, 09:56 PM
The manual comes in a nice leather pouch. Funny - Only my manual fits in mine; not the Navigation suppliment. My wife's 2007 leather pouch holds both the manual and the Nav suppliment!

It may be tucked up high in the glove box. There is a special spot for it. It leaves room for a pair of gloves.

that's interesting...my manual and Nav supplement fit in my binder
Though....it won't fit in the glove box....due to the very small size of the glove box
Therefore it sits in the floorboard of the passenger back seat

Warren

EChas3
11-27-10, 10:35 PM
Warren - Doesn't your binder fit in the glovebox owners manual niche?

I do have a very early 2006 (VIN ends 111999)

rzambrano
11-27-10, 11:04 PM
Whats up guys .. I am new here and just wanted to start saying that I'm a new driver been driving a Toyota Avalon XL 2002 w/ 146k miles (my dads car) for the past 6months. Since I live in the city I didn't really saw the need for my license or a car til 6months ago I got a job out of state and saw the perfect opportunity to get my stuff going.

Recently, I been looking at various options for my first real car and for the past few months I'd liked the Infiniti g35 or Accord, but last week my cousin that buys cars through Insurance Auctions recommended me that I get into an American car I said sure.

Today I bought a Cadillac STS 2006 V6 w/ Navigation =).. black on black ..Now since I'm new to cars and def to Cadillac, I wanted to know what you STS owners think/like etc about yours.

I'm also curious to know what are the factory specs on a 2006 STS V6?
What size of Rims, wheels, are they all season or summer tire, and other features that are worth knowing.

Thanks look forward to meet a lot of STS owners.

Congrats on your purchase, and be ready to learn something new about it everyday. That was the way it was with me for the first 30 days!

brewing1
11-30-10, 11:22 PM
I love my 06 STS. It is the first car I have ever owned that I didn't have a single regret or wished I would have bought something different or desired different options.
My V-6 has 18" factory rims, they come with the performance package.

Frikiton
11-30-10, 11:27 PM
I love my 06 STS. It is the first car I have ever owned that I didn't have a single regret or wished I would have bought something different or desired different options.
My V-6 has 18" factory rims, they come with the performance package.

Same as mine, I been so busy with work that I haven't been able to get it yet but my cousin is holding it for me in his mechanic's parking.

Mine has the 9 spokes 18" rims I saw in the pics she showed me, Navigation, black interior, black exterior .. so I am getting its the Luxury Performance Package as well as yours?

Can't wait to go see it

Frikiton
11-30-10, 11:36 PM
Here are some of the pictures from the Auctions I got ..
What is it exactly?
I know its V6

Frikiton
12-06-10, 05:56 AM
What type of gas you folks use on your STS ? Regular Medium or Premium ?

malatu
12-06-10, 10:25 AM
Put in what your manual states. If it calls for regular, premium won't hurt your engine but it will be a waste of money. If it calls for premium, using regular has the potential to damage the engine. Understand that premium gas isn't better gas, it's just different gas. It has a higher flash point.

Do a search on the topic. There's been some lengthy discussions on the topic on this forum.

Frikiton
12-06-10, 12:08 PM
Put in what your manual states. If it calls for regular, premium won't hurt your engine but it will be a waste of money. If it calls for premium, using regular has the potential to damage the engine. Understand that premium gas isn't better gas, it's just different gas. It has a higher flash point.

Do a search on the topic. There's been some lengthy discussions on the topic on this forum.

Manual says Regular is fine, but talks about Medium and Premium offering more performance so I guess I am open to use any. I'll prob stick wtih Medium is gas is cheap if not Regular ..

Gas was 2.50 in the summer now is 2.85 in NJ

txbest1980
12-06-10, 04:40 PM
nice looking STS...i just picked up those same Vogue wheels in a 20" yesterday for mine...

Frikiton
12-06-10, 07:40 PM
Have a question about Performance Brakes JE5 and J56 HeavyDuty brakes .. the STS 1SC has the JE5 right?

EChas3
12-06-10, 08:20 PM
Higher octane fuel burns slower. IMHO, the additive package is more important than octane as long as you don't experience engine 'ping'. We burn Top Tier regular unleaded (87 octane 10% ethanol RFG from Shell or Tri-Par) with no ping in our N*'s.

Opinions vary and many forum members feel very strongly about this topic. I think only the 2008 & later STS V-6 (and all STS-V's) require premium.

Frikiton
12-06-10, 08:29 PM
Higher octane fuel burns slower. IMHO, the additive package is more important than octane as long as you don't experience engine 'ping'. We burn Top Tier regular unleaded (87 octane 10% ethanol RFG from Shell or Tri-Par) with no ping in our N*'s.

Opinions vary and many forum members feel very strongly about this topic. I think only the 2008 & later STS V-6 (and all STS-V's) require premium.

Burns slower meaning more gas per mileage ?

KRSTS
12-06-10, 08:32 PM
Just a FACT folks - the 2008 3.6 V6 DI DOES NOT require premium gas. Regular gas is recommended::yup:

EChas3
12-06-10, 10:49 PM
Just a FACT folks - the 2008 3.6 V6 DI DOES NOT require premium gas. Regular gas is recommended::yup:

Thanks for setting me straight, KR. I thought it did. The manual recommends Premium for my N* but says other grades are acceptable unless there's a problem.

Burns slower meaning more gas per mileage ?

Not necessarily. Octane helps the gas & air mixture under high compression to burn in a controlled fashion rather than explode. The 'ping' is also know as 'detonation'. Using an octane too low can cause damage because detonation can crack pistons and burn both pistons & valves. These engines have sensors that are designed to tell the engine control module to retard timing and adjust for lower octane fuels.

There are over a hundred different formulations of gasoline in the US. The one used in the Milwaukee area is relatively rare and is subject to unexpected price fluctuations not related to the price of oil or taxes. I had a Lincoln with Ford's 4.6l and it got around 10% better mileage on ethanol-free premium. My STS doesn't seem to care.

Find a Top Tier gas that works well for you and enjoy the ride!

Frikiton
12-06-10, 11:26 PM
Thanks for setting me straight, KR. I thought it did. The manual recommends Premium for my N* but says other grades are acceptable unless there's a problem.

Not necessarily. Octane helps the gas & air mixture under high compression to burn in a controlled fashion rather than explode. The 'ping' is also know as 'detonation'. Using an octane too low can cause damage because detonation can crack pistons and burn both pistons & valves. These engines have sensors that are designed to tell the engine control module to retard timing and adjust for lower octane fuels.

There are over a hundred different formulations of gasoline in the US. The one used in the Milwaukee area is relatively rare and is subject to unexpected price fluctuations not related to the price of oil or taxes. I had a Lincoln with Ford's 4.6l and it got around 10% better mileage on ethanol-free premium. My STS doesn't seem to care.

Find a Top Tier gas that works well for you and enjoy the ride!

How can I find a top tier gas ?
Or find the difference between the ones in my area?

malatu
12-06-10, 11:28 PM
Read this post.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/192199-top-tier-gasoline-gm-tsb.html

Frikiton
12-07-10, 12:32 AM
Read this post.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2010/192199-top-tier-gasoline-gm-tsb.html

Thanks I seen a few I recall in my area

Exxon, Mobil, Shell, Sunoco, Texaco

Too bad Hess is not on the list.

So this top tier means even the octane 87 is fine as long as its from a Top Tier retailer?

malatu
12-07-10, 07:19 AM
It's fine if your manual says so.

EChas3
12-07-10, 11:04 PM
No Knock or ping and accepatable performance? You're OK.

If you use other fuels without trouble, OK.

If Hess saves $0.10 a gallon, go ahead & use it. You should consider more frequent throttle-body service (cleaning) or techron gasoline additives. Don't count on cheap gas to keep your engine clean.

It's just a car. Enjoy the ride.

Frikiton
12-16-10, 10:33 AM
So everyone keeps telling me bad it is to have a RWD car especially for snow/rain how different it is from a FWD?

Also, has anyone installed an aftermarket sub + amp on their caddy ?
My caddy has a nice system, but I already have a bandpass (2x12" subs) enclosure from my previous car and want to see if I can include it on my sts now. 1500watts audiopipe amp + 1500watts subs pkg

torogt
12-16-10, 11:59 PM
So everyone keeps telling me bad it is to have a RWD car especially for snow/rain how different it is from a FWD?

Also, has anyone installed an aftermarket sub + amp on their caddy ?
My caddy has a nice system, but I already have a bandpass (2x12" subs) enclosure from my previous car and want to see if I can include it on my sts now. 1500watts audiopipe amp + 1500watts subs pkg

RWD is all we used to have before FWD became the standard drive system and yes they do handle much different in the snow. Its much easier to pull than to push. I have a 1970 Olds Toronado that is one of the first FWD and is great in the snow I bought the AWD STS because it is my wife's car and I just felt better her having that extra security with the road conditions in Utah. If the car was just mine I would have gone RWD because they are more fun to drive. as far as the stereo I think the stock system is just fine. I have the bose 5.1 15 speakers, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Frikiton
12-17-10, 12:12 AM
RWD is all we used to have before FWD became the standard drive system and yes they do handle much different in the snow. Its much easier to pull than to push. I have a 1970 Olds Toronado that is one of the first FWD and is great in the snow I bought the AWD STS because it is my wife's car and I just felt better her having that extra security with the road conditions in Utah. If the car was just mine I would have gone RWD because they are more fun to drive. as far as the stereo I think the stock system is just fine. I have the bose 5.1 15 speakers, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Thanks, well I was driving my dads Toyota Avalon 2002 and its FWD but I felt paranoid when it was raining so I wouldn't go past 50mph even if everyone else was going 60+ but I've seen it which I think is crazy when is raining ppl should be more careful. I did hit a few puddles and the car kinda slipped I would say but luckily I had both hands on the wheel. Hopefully with this RWD the traction control is going to do its work and play nice with rain and snow.

People have told me the reason why FWD has become more standard its because its safer than RWD true?

When you say more fun to drive what do u mean?

Yes I have the 5.1 also 15 speakers its the best factory stereo I've ever heard before but I want more bass :) since I already have a subwoofer + amp hopefully its easier to add to it.

turnne
12-17-10, 10:28 PM
People have told me the reason why FWD has become more standard its because its safer than RWD true?

The way I understand it
FWD is cheaper to manufacture than RWD....for the same given vehicle

The Japanese have always been all over it....with some few recent exceptions
The Germans have never embraced it...with some few exceptions from Volkswagen/Audi...no BMW or Mercedes in FWD

Warren

Frikiton
12-17-10, 10:30 PM
The way I understand it
FWD is cheaper to manufacture than RWD....for the same given vehicle

The Japanese have always been all over it....with some few recent exceptions
The Germans have never embraced it...with some few exceptions from Volkswagen/Audi...no BMW or Mercedes in FWD

Warren

Very true I noticed that as well.

EChas3
12-18-10, 12:47 AM
I cannot agree.

When you say more fun to drive what do u mean?
With RWD, you can drive with the throttle. The best driving cars in the world (F1) are RWD.

Your natural tendancy when you start to feel out of control is to lift off the throttle. With FWD, this increases the traction demands on your front tires and risks a dangerous spin. The same scenerio in a RWD car increases stabilty when the rear wheels slow, directing the car staraught ahead.

A FWD design is cheaper to build but expensive to fix. It goes good but understeers (pushes) terribly. There's almost always handing issues under throttle, too.

Frikiton
12-26-10, 04:04 AM
Hey guys, does the 2006 STS 1SC comes with HIDs or no?
I thought it did.
I want to add HIDs to my car if it doesn't have it.

Some pics I took this weekend

http://kttns.org/zgninhttp://kttns.org/mzmjd

rzambrano
12-26-10, 09:26 PM
Hey guys, does the 2006 STS 1SC comes with HIDs or no?
I thought it did.
I want to add HIDs to my car if it doesn't have it.

Some pics I took this weekend

http://kttns.org/zgninhttp://kttns.org/mzmjd

It is an available option.

EChas3
12-27-10, 12:46 AM
HID cars have the headlight washers (pop-out sprayers). I don't see them on your car. I think they are availble as an option only on V8 STS. Maybe the later V6's?

Frikiton
12-27-10, 12:48 AM
HID cars have the headlight washers (pop-out sprayers). I don't see them on your car. I think they are availble as an option only on V8 STS. Maybe the later V6's?

Your right, I think mine was a april build 2006 STS V6 ..
So I have halogen? how easy it is to put HIDs ?

rzambrano
12-27-10, 03:55 AM
Your right, I think mine was a april build 2006 STS V6 ..
So I have halogen? how easy it is to put HIDs ?

Many people say it is easy, but the biggest requirement is removing the front fascia to access the headlight screws.

Frikiton
12-27-10, 04:25 AM
Many people say it is easy, but the biggest requirement is removing the front fascia to access the headlight screws.

So there's no way to put some HIDs bulbs?

caddyfat2
12-27-10, 08:00 AM
The bulbs only make up part of an HID system.There are other componants. You also have a ballast, starter, etc.

Frikiton
12-27-10, 08:13 AM
The bulbs only make up part of an HID system.There are other coponants. You also have a ballast, starter, etc.

Oh man, so that means i need the whole conversion kit ?

or what if I buy 2 headlights from the 2010 or 2011 STS they might come with HIDs and probably fit ?

caddyfat2
12-27-10, 12:17 PM
Oh man, so that means i need the whole conversion kit ?

Yep !

Frikiton
12-28-10, 08:07 AM
What about this http://www.tirerack.com/lighting/detail.jsp?ID=1078

PIAA Xtreme White Bulbs or Hella ?

I was reading that these come very close to HID and will save you the $$ from converting
Anyone has tried these?

CADDYBLACK99
12-28-10, 09:10 AM
Replacement bulbs provide a color change and do give some better lighting. If replacing bulbs were an easily task on the STS, I'd say experiment until your satisfied. Having to remove the whole front facsia or going in through the wheel well is a lot of work for maybe not so much gain in lighting performance. Drive the car for a while you may find after getting used to it they are just fine.

EChas3
12-28-10, 11:27 PM
Just last night my wife commented on how good her STS headlights light up the road on a dark night. They do. Mine is the one with HID's... LOL!

1BadCadSTS
12-29-10, 12:12 AM
wrong thread

1BadCadSTS
12-29-10, 12:14 AM
Wrong Thread

Frikiton
12-30-10, 06:18 PM
I found these 2 links on another thread http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php since I won't be able to add HIDs myself but I am thinking of adding either those Super Bright White Bulbs or maybe the HIDs

Frikiton
01-09-11, 09:14 AM
I read the whole manual and now been playing with everything I can =)
I found how to display some info on the display like.

- 33 PSI LF Tire
- 30 PSI RR Tire

What are the correct #'s to have ?

The other 2 tires didn't list a #, now I know why the display shows "Service Tire Monitor" also when I hit a pot really bad my "Traction Control goes off & the ABS light comes up" and doesn't go away till I turn off the car.

38% Engine Oil Life <-- and what point do I need to replace? I am thinking of taking the car to my cousin's mechanic since he was the one that changed the oil this last time.

EChas3
01-09-11, 12:50 PM
The 'rule' on tire pressures is to go by the information sticker on the drivers door (or door frame). Both my wife's & my STS stickers say 30PSI all-around. I'm convinced my TPMS reads 1 PSI low when compared to a high-quality pressure gauge.

My car's OEM tires were Michelin MXM All-seasons, the 18" staggered setup: Front 235/50R18 & Rear 255/45R18. I switched to Continental DWS 235/50R18's all around for a more quiet and less firm ride because AWD & MRC options can produce some harshness. I get the feel I like best at 31PSI front and 29PSI rear. I'm OC about my tires and check them often; adjusting pressures for seasonal temperature changes over 20 degrees (2PSI). I think nitrogen-filled tires are a waste of money, but it's your car.

You may have one or more bad wheel speed sensors. They will cause the symtoms you describe. Poor traction conditions (& a heavy foot) will activate TC & Stability Control more often than many people expect. Our cars do a good job of compensating for driver excesses but many members find these STS systems overly sensitive.

The STS Oil Life Monitor won awards from the Society of American Engineers (SAE). Oil experts contend that when Mobile 1 (or other GM approved oils) is used, key protective additives are halfway consumed when the OLM reaches 0. That's when I have my oil changed and tires rotated; about once a year and 12,000 miles.

The manual says at least every year but my wife just uses the OLM and goes almost 18 months. (I know, I know... but it's her car and her decision. I'll fight the battles I can win!) She doesn't put on a lot of miles but at least once a month takes a 600 mile trip, so there's not much chance of water condensation.

I had the oil changed in my car right after purchasing it. The OLM was 100% and the dealer said they changed it but it looked like mineral oil (non-synthetic) to me. It takes 8 quarts, so I bought two jugs of Mobil 1 at Walmart for about $50 and had my regular guy do the deed. It might have been a waste but the peace of mind was worth it. (I guess I'm OC about most things.) :)

On all these items, you will find many different opinions. Ain't life grand?

KRSTS
01-09-11, 01:50 PM
The 'rule' on tire pressures is to go by the information sticker on the drivers door (or door frame). Both my wife's & my STS stickers say 30PSI all-around. I'm convinced my TPMS reads 1 PSI low when compared to a high-quality pressure gauge.

My car's OEM tires were Michelin MXM All-seasons, the 18" staggered setup: Front 235/50R18 & Rear 255/45R18. I switched to Continental DWS 235/50R18's all around for a more quiet and less firm ride because AWD & MRC options can produce some harshness. I get the feel I like best at 31PSI front and 29PSI rear. I'm OC about my tires and check them often; adjusting pressures for seasonal temperature changes over 20 degrees (2PSI). I think nitrogen-filled tires are a waste of money, but it's your car.

You may have one or more bad wheel speed sensors. They will cause the symtoms you describe. Poor traction conditions (& a heavy foot) will activate TC & Stability Control more often than many people expect. Our cars do a good job of compensating for driver excesses but many members find these STS systems overly sensitive.

The STS Oil Life Monitor won awards from the Society of American Engineers (SAE). Oil experts contend that when Mobile 1 (or other GM approved oils) is used, key protective additives are halfway consumed when the OLM reaches 0. That's when I have my oil changed and tires rotated; about once a year and 12,000 miles.

The manual says at least every year but my wife just uses the OLM and goes almost 18 months. (I know, I know... but it's her car and her decision. I'll fight the battles I can win!) She doesn't put on a lot of miles but at least once a month takes a 600 mile trip, so there's not much chance of water condensation.

I had the oil changed in my car right after purchasing it. The OLM was 100% and the dealer said they changed it but it looked like mineral oil (non-synthetic) to me. It takes 8 quarts, so I bought two jugs of Mobil 1 at Walmart for about $50 and had my regular guy do the deed. It might have been a waste but the peace of mind was worth it. (I guess I'm OC about most things.) :)

On all these items, you will find many different opinions. Ain't life grand?

Good advice Echas3, especially about fighting the battles you can win! Finally learned that lesson after 43 years of marriage LOL:thepan:

EChas3
01-09-11, 03:02 PM
*Only* 22 years, here! Congratulations, KR, watch out for that frying pan!

Frikiton
01-13-11, 10:53 AM
I think the mechanic forgot to reset the Engine Oil Life timer lol .. so lets see when it tells me it needs oil change I might just change it ? or should i reset it and keep the count ?

I am going to get the Sensor checked for the tires as well.

Today I was checking at my tires and this is funny but the 2 rear wheels don't have much thread left, the front tires look pretty new and have plenty of thread.

ContiProContact in the rear both..

Goodyear Eagle on 1 front, Bridgestone Turanza EL42 on the other front.

Damn the previous owner wasn't thinking ??
but at least they're 235/50R18 front and 255/45R18 rear how its suppose to be.

What do you guys recommend me to do ? replace all four or just the 2 rear ?
I also noticed today my winshield washer needs to be refilled since I was pressing the button and nothing was coming, was I suppose to be notified in the DIC ?

Thanks
I luv this forum

KRSTS
01-13-11, 11:24 AM
Replace all four. This car deserves a matched set.:hmm:

sba300
01-13-11, 01:09 PM
Unmatched tires are embarrassing man. Here's what I did for tires... I went to America's Tires and told them that I wanted the tirerack price on the Michelin Sport A/S Plus tires, and they did it. Their service and warranty are excellent. There should be one in your area. BTW, the Michelin's are excellent tires. Have them on my Vette as well. Took the STS up the mountain road, and traction control didn't kick in once. :thumbsup:

Frikiton
01-13-11, 01:15 PM
Unmatched tires are embarrassing man. Here's what I did for tires... I went to America's Tires and told them that I wanted the tirerack price on the Michelin Sport A/S Plus tires, and they did it. Their service and warranty are excellent. There should be one in your area. BTW, the Michelin's are excellent tires. Have them on my Vette as well. Took the STS up the mountain road, and traction control didn't kick in once. :thumbsup:

THanks sba, yea but those Michelin Sport are perfect for your weather state. But here in NYC, we suffer from rain, snow, winter/cold, summer/hot, spring/rain lol . unfortunately I dont have a garage to have winter and summer set tires so I dont know what to do.

sba300
01-13-11, 02:32 PM
THanks sba, yea but those Michelin Sport are perfect for your weather state. But here in NYC, we suffer from rain, snow, winter/cold, summer/hot, spring/rain lol . unfortunately I dont have a garage to have winter and summer set tires so I dont know what to do.

Oops sorry buddy. Didn't occur to me to check your location. Perhaps you could rent a storage facility.

EChas3
01-13-11, 11:22 PM
Replace all four. This car deserves a matched set.:hmm:

A few miles won't hurt but get this done. I'd rather run 4 235/50R18's Falkens or house brand than a staggered mess. Opinions differ.

Frikiton
01-13-11, 11:30 PM
Oops sorry buddy. Didn't occur to me to check your location. Perhaps you could rent a storage facility.
Doesn't sound like a bad idea, but let's see if the price is right.

A few miles won't hurt but get this done. I'd rather run 4 235/50R18's Falkens or house brand than a staggered mess. Opinions differ.
Why are staggered a mess if thats how they come OEM in the luxury performance packages?

jackjroadster
01-14-11, 02:37 AM
I found these 2 links on another thread since I won't be able to add HIDs myself but I am thinking of adding either those Super Bright White Bulbs or maybe the HIDs

Contemplating between HID and super bright white bulbs.. Which is better? HID looks really great.

EChas3
01-14-11, 10:18 PM
The mess I refer to is the mis-matched fronts & a worn-out pair of back tires of a third style.

Life is too short to wear old shoes.

Frikiton
01-14-11, 10:31 PM
The mess I refer to is the mis-matched fronts & a worn-out pair of back tires of a third style.

Life is too short to wear old shoes.

Oh yes def, I am researching on tirerack.com to buy my new wheels this weekend. Any recommendations?

Frikiton
01-17-11, 02:45 AM
Just took it to my cousin's friend's shop to get HIDs installed.

So I got HIDs on low beams and foglights 8k
Then replaced all the yellow lights to PIAA Super Extreme White including the inside lights of the car (2 front ceiling 2 rear ceiling)

Here are some pics.

I am happy with the new look.

Before HIDs
http://kttns.org/q0zdg

After HIDs
http://kttns.org/ji0mm

http://kttns.org/kotr

http://kttns.org/tg3og

Left to do is put 35% tints
Install aftermarket audiopipe subwoofer
and Buy new wheels (ASAP) keep my current size though 18"s FTW so i won't have to buy new rims

rzambrano
01-17-11, 03:34 AM
Just took it to my cousin's friend's shop to get HIDs installed.

So I got HIDs on low beams and foglights 8k
Then replaced all the yellow lights to PIAA Super Extreme White including the inside lights of the car (2 front ceiling 2 rear ceiling)

Here are some pics.

I am happy with the new look.

Left to do is put 35% tints
Install aftermarket audiopipe subwoofer
and Buy new wheels (ASAP) keep my current size though 18"s FTW so i won't have to buy new rims

Looks good!

Try another picture hosting service, loading is terribly slow.

Frikiton
02-14-11, 06:54 AM
Hello guys.

Here's some questions I have and didn't want to start a new thread to keep it all here.

1) TPMS Sensors are giving me issues, I bought new tires and the PSI % remained the same. But now when I turn the car on I am getting check tire pressure icon and 1 of the psi % is showing 24%. Also how can I turn the TPMS off or reset it?

2) I have put 1,000 miles already on the car since I got it currently 118,xxx .. My dad said since the car has such high-mileage like his toyota avalon 2002 with 146k that is good to let the car warm up in the winter with temps below 50F .. is this true? my coworkers all have different types of cars from 2001-2011 and none of them warm up their cars what should I do?

3) I noticed both of headlight unit have moisture inside maybe since I bought the car water flood how can I fix this moisture inside? Its been bothering me since I don't have 20/20 vision and when the weather is really bad like raining and in the night its becoming hard to see and I'm pretty sure if there was no moisture inside if I'm using the word correctly I would have more view of where I'm going.

Thanks

EChas3
02-15-11, 12:00 AM
Clean the wheels & sensors real good next time you wash the car. If necessary, replacement TPMS sensors are available for a lot less than the dealer. I think Tire Rack has them.

While you shouldn't work a cold car hard, it will warm up most quickly by driving away gently. In most cases there's no reason to warm up a modern car. If you want comfort, use the remote start.

Common problem. There's a post that has a good solution to excessive headlight condensation. Check the 'Stickey' thread at the top of the thread lisitng.

Frikiton
02-27-11, 05:29 PM
Thanks EChas3 !

I have just put 2,000 miles on my car so far since I got it on thanksgiving 2010. Its reading 119,015. Thanks to Rippyparts I have the service stuff the car has seen with the previous 2 owners. Do I need anything special when I reach 120k or 125k I was reading in the manual.

If gas prices keep going higher I might end up selling the car in the summer or maybe do a trade-in-value for a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid or Kia Optima Hybrid or maybe Honda Accord 08+ since its good on gas. I really like the CTS 08+ but I'm only getting about 220-240 miles on a tank :-(.

KRSTS
02-27-11, 06:39 PM
Something isn't right. With the V6 you should be getting much better gas mileage than you indictate

Frikiton
02-27-11, 07:35 PM
Something isn't right. With the V6 you should be getting much better gas mileage than you indictate

Yes I agree but I been doing calculations each tank refill. Maybe I drive to aggressive which reduces my gas mileage.

Slee_Stack
02-28-11, 05:10 PM
The STS isn't a car you drive for fuel economy. Incidently, that is one of the driving reasons I just sold my V8.

Regardless, with the V8, it would still get at least 220 with all city driving. Do you floor it constantly?

turnne
02-28-11, 08:39 PM
what's the mileage spread between the V6 and V8...2-4mpg?

I am not sure that reason enough to go from one to the other...:bigroll:

I mean really...what does that amount to over many years of driving...a few hundred dollars?

Warren

sztolcaddy
02-28-11, 08:48 PM
I would go for v8 due to sound and performance, v6 was less smooth. I test drove one recently v8 AWD 2007 and it was 13 mpg in the city, 2005 RWD v8 though was 10.4 mpg.

EChas3
02-28-11, 11:24 PM
IMHO, you'll spend more trading cars than you would save in gas.

Frikiton
03-01-11, 12:37 AM
The STS isn't a car you drive for fuel economy. Incidently, that is one of the driving reasons I just sold my V8.

Regardless, with the V8, it would still get at least 220 with all city driving. Do you floor it constantly?

I don't floor it constantly, I drive 20 miles round trip daily to work I try to do more highway than city driving as well. But in the morning there's a huge traffic so there's a lot of stop/go till I'm able to get on the hwy.

But I'm going to start being easier on the pedal. I noticed 13.4MPG on my DIC :(

sztolcaddy
03-01-11, 12:49 AM
Gas is going up now, let's hope not to the $9.5 per gallon like in Europe.

Frikiton
03-01-11, 12:57 AM
Gas is going up now, let's hope not to the $9.5 per gallon like in Europe.
I agree... I filled up my tank 2 weeks ago at 2.97 per gallon 87 shell took $45 and yesterday 3.15 per gallon 87 shell took $49. Both times I filled up saying 40 miles left on the tank

EChas3
03-03-11, 12:12 AM
8 of the last 9 recessions began with high oil prices! Hold on...

KRSTS
03-03-11, 02:50 PM
I agree... I filled up my tank 2 weeks ago at 2.97 per gallon 87 shell took $45 and yesterday 3.15 per gallon 87 shell took $49. Both times I filled up saying 40 miles left on the tank

$3.15? I paid $3.29 today!

EChas3
03-04-11, 12:03 AM
$3.49 E10 today here.

Don't forget, the only problem our dear leader had with gas at $4.29 during his campaign was that the price went up too fast.

turnne
03-05-11, 10:04 PM
$3.49 E10 today here.

Don't forget, the only problem our dear leader had with gas at $4.29 during his campaign was that the price went up too fast.

And he has how much input on the price of oil since we import so much?

The price went up considerably before his time...and I am not sure why most people think the head of state has a lot do with oil prices...?

The real question should be ....can we really be free of our dependence on foreign oil?

Whether or not you think that is possible has everything to do with the price control issue

and if you don't want to be at the control of the "off shore authority"...then perhaps its time to consider that hybrid

Warren

turnne
03-05-11, 10:12 PM
8 of the last 9 recessions began with high oil prices! Hold on...

Hmmm.....and this last one....much greater in every way than anything but the only "great depression".....
It had nothing to do with oil and everything to do with financial speculation

Interesting how the real estate market was fueled by that most recently...and the price is being paid right now

Most people would be more than happy to pay $5.00 a gallon for gas rather than losing 35%( or more) of their home's value in the last 3 years

Ask someone in Florida or Vegas...or whomever is holding their mortgage

But will all the unregulated speculation and loans for any and all with unrealistic expectations of future growth..here we are

Warren

EChas3
03-05-11, 11:29 PM
About a week ago, congressional Democrats called for the President to utilize the US Strategic Oil Reserve to stabilize the market. He didn't act.

A lot of people bought houses they couldn't afford with Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac & FHLB loan programs backed by Private Mortgage Insurance. The Senate Banking Committee pressured Wall Street investment companies and big banks to buy these bad loans. They did so to avoid witch-hunt investigations. I heard the testimony from C-Span. Further attempts to avoid the collapse or 'fix' the market only made the fall that much harder when it inevitably fell.

All I'm saying is that high oil prices are a huge threat to our way of life. Courts have struck down the ban on drilling in the Gulf of Mexico but the ban remains. Alaska's ANWR is the size of South Carolina and we can't spare a few square miles? That oil, strategically developed, could stabilize oil prices for decades. Besides, look at the jobs and the current oil pipeline has boosted Alaskan wildlife.

This post really belongs in the Current Events forum. Regardless, the current administration is either happy to see crippling-high gas prices or is incompetent. Perhaps both.

turnne
03-06-11, 03:58 AM
Oh my

Interesting points

I have to ask
when did these people begin buying houses they couldn't afford?
I would think you would have to go back more than a decade to start to talk about home loans

You simplify these oil situation......and act as if the situation has changed in the last 10 years..it hasn't

Honestly...what concerns me is viewpoints like yours that act as if something has really transpired in the last 2 years that changes..or frankly has an effect on much of anything

Like GM's financial situation...did that happen overnight?

I always find it interesting when people don't mention the factors that led up to these economic events that were going on for more than 2 decades

Since you are concerned about a recession

I would ask you a question that is much more recent

Why start a war that has to be paid for with borrowed money?

Solve that one...and $4.00 a gallon gas seems like a minor issue

besides that...as I recall gas is actually cheaper now...adjusted for inflation that it was 75 years ago

Warren

EChas3
03-06-11, 08:19 PM
You're right. The RE problem has its roots in the CRA and attempts to equalize outcomes instead of focusing on equal opportunity. Home ownership isn't a good fit for everyone no matter what some might say. But you brought up Real Estate, not me.

Gas prices increase the price of everything and high prices stifle economic activity. Gas & food costs are not reflected in the consumer price index but they are very real. High energy costs damage almost every sector of the economy. The current administration seems content to let energy prices rise. That is not good for Americans.

You mention war. Why? A lot more money went through the Economic Stimulous Slush Flund than into Iraq. At least the surge worked; nothing positive has come from increased US activity in Afgahanistan.

turnne
03-07-11, 08:37 AM
You're right. The RE problem has its roots in the CRA and attempts to equalize outcomes instead of focusing on equal opportunity. Home ownership isn't a good fit for everyone no matter what some might say. But you brought up Real Estate, not me.

Gas prices increase the price of everything and high prices stifle economic activity. Gas & food costs are not reflected in the consumer price index but they are very real. High energy costs damage almost every sector of the economy. The current administration seems content to let energy prices rise. That is not good for Americans.

You mention war. Why? A lot more money went through the Economic Stimulous Slush Flund than into Iraq. At least the surge worked; nothing positive has come from increased US activity in Afgahanistan.

I mention the war because it has a substantial place in the growing national debt

Debt is what stifles almost any entity...be it company, country, or institution

We can never have control over energy until we are making most of what we use..or find alternate sources other than oil

If its an issue I can buy a smaller car..if gasoline is too high

I have no idea how you can compare this to food costs

One can be managed by buying a different vehicle....a hybrid..etc
Food costs can't be managed in the same way

I didn't say home ownership was a good idea for everyone..I just said that due to the non regulated system that went on for so many years..look what happened

Why do you suppose that was allowed to go on for so many years..at least a decade..unregulated and fueled by financial speculation

Quite frankly..you are likely paying more in taxes( or will be) to correct that issue along with auto/private entity bailouts and mounting war debt.

Those issues are going to effect your wallet more than higher gas prices...and due to to the commodity nature of the oil industry..vs just a huge debt load..you will affected for a longer period of time

Heck your grand kids could be paying for some of that stuff....look at what the United States owes China

Your grand kids won't be paying for gasoline that you have used of food you have eaten

Both ..again in some instances, that have been priced higher, adjusted for inflation..than they are today

I will bring the topic back to auto's..as this is a car forum and GM one at that

Lets take GM

How long had they been in decline...20-25 years?
So should have been a surprise that they were pushed over the edge when times got a little tougher?

People blame their unions etc...but the issue is much larger than that

The sector that primarily was fueling their existence were their trucks/SUV products...when sales were down on those you saw the outcome

They had fleet/rental cars...Impalas, Grand prix's etc...and then luxury cars like the STS that had to be sold at incredible discounts and through a highly subsidized lease..just to move product....and we all know the majority of these STS's were leased

It was a doomed business model..waiting for something to happen

I think if there had not been government intervention the GM( and Chrysler) we know today would have been a thing of the past...gone and/or sold off in pieces

While many here are very happy that the STS does not hold its value...that can't be a beautiful thing for GM or the Cadillac brand in general

Then there is that part of the population that can't believe ( and is still unhappy) about government intervention to prop up companies that had products that people didn't want

Its all about debt...and the groundwork was paved a long time before a couple of years ago

Warren

Frikiton
03-16-11, 04:05 AM
Hey guys.. is there anyway to open the trunk from inside the car without pressing the FOB trunk button?
Plus I noticed the car has to be in parked for it to work too.
This weekend i was in the car and my cousin wanted to put some bags in the trunk, wasn't fun putting the car into park and then looking for my FOB to press the trunk open button.

PETE314
03-16-11, 03:12 PM
I for one, am ecstatic with my purchase.....Gas mileage or no.

I thought I would continue to get the thread back onto Cars. and being new , I felt adding to this thread was better than starting a new one to introduce myself...

I recently purchased my first Cadillac and couldn't be happier. And while some may balk at the gas mileage, it has been comperable to possibly a tic or 2 less than the V8 Aurora I was driving before. And people were always surprised at how good the mileage was on that car.

Bought the STS over the CTS...I just felt I was getting more car. Yes the styling inside the CTS was inticing....but the space and features and power and handling of the STS sealed the deal. And now that I have bought it. and I see it parked next to other cars....perhaps a bias is coming over me, but I think I am starting to like the exterior looks over the CTS as well. That wasn't always the case.

Looking forward to checking out all that you have done with your STS. And glad to have a place to ask questions when I try to tackle the nav system...LOL.

PETE314
03-16-11, 03:13 PM
Hey guys.. is there anyway to open the trunk from inside the car without pressing the FOB trunk button?
Plus I noticed the car has to be in parked for it to work too.
This weekend i was in the car and my cousin wanted to put some bags in the trunk, wasn't fun putting the car into park and then looking for my FOB to press the trunk open button. I have a trunk release button in the map compartment section of my Drivers side Door (towards the back)...check there.

Frikiton
03-16-11, 08:52 PM
http://kttns.org/nmfjy

Frikiton
03-16-11, 08:54 PM
I have a trunk release button in the map compartment section of my Drivers side Door (towards the back)...check there.

I will have to look, but maybe thats a feature in the V8 only.

SlickCityStan
03-16-11, 09:02 PM
I will have to look, but maybe thats a feature in the V8 only.No it's on the V6 also.

chazglenn3
03-16-11, 10:20 PM
I'll bet the car still has to be in park for it to work, though...

SlickCityStan
03-16-11, 10:34 PM
I'll bet the car still has to be in park for it to work, though...Yea, it does but it isn't that a good thing? Given that time and unforseen occurances befall us all.

chazglenn3
03-16-11, 10:39 PM
I'm not complaining, but the poster above seemed a little miffed that he had to put the car in park to open the trunk for his friend.

SlickCityStan
03-16-11, 11:07 PM
Sorry, I am a little nuts about safety 30 years of working outside plant(lineman,cable repair) for Ma Bell We had safety drilled into us daily. We had daily and routine job tasks where a mistake could cost you your life. So I have low tolerance when some would sacrifice safety for a minor inconvenience

chazglenn3
03-16-11, 11:57 PM
I'm with you, Stan. I work for an airline...safety is job #1!

CTBB
03-17-11, 12:17 AM
Sorry, I am a little nuts about safety 30 years of working outside plant(lineman,cable repair) for Ma Bell We had safety drilled into us daily. We had daily and routine job tasks where a mistake could cost you your life. So I have low tolerance when some would sacrifice safety for a minor inconvenience

Good to hear Stan. "No job is so important...." 36 yrs with Pacific Telephone/Pacific Bell/AT&T. Most in the field, including 18yrs doing Defensive Driving/BSSP Field Safety reviews running a combo crew of Service Techs and MST's. Folks beefing about such things have never seen the results of ignoring such rules for "just a second". Glad to have someone of similar experience aboard.

Glenn

EChas3
03-17-11, 10:24 PM
It's not paranoia when everyone is out to get you. Safety takes constant vigilance.

Frikiton
03-18-11, 03:14 AM
Hey its not a problem for me, I just thought it was definitely a smart idea to have it the way it is I agree with it :)

Frikiton
03-26-11, 12:25 PM
Hey folks, what type of place can I take my car into to get my RIMs painted black ? I figured I would save more $$ by having them painted black gloss than buying new rims since I don't have a place where to store the OEM plus don't want my car heavier than what it is already.

CTBB
03-26-11, 12:47 PM
Try a paint and body shop. They're the pros.

Glenn

Frikiton
03-26-11, 02:33 PM
Try a paint and body shop. They're the pros.

Glenn

Sweet thanks will look for a few in my area and possibly email them, visit some and call some.

Frikiton
03-29-11, 01:20 AM
These are some nice Black Glossy 19" RIMs w/ Cadillac Logo if anyone is interested http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350444371345&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AVRI

I would like them but, DWS doesn't come in 235/45-19 or 255/40-19 .. so don't want a non-recommended 19" size tire on my car

Frikiton
04-12-11, 06:03 AM
All of a sudden my remote start is not working anymore... could it be the fob battery or the car battery?

C&C
04-12-11, 06:57 AM
All of a sudden my remote start is not working anymore... could it be the fob battery or the car battery?

Most likely the fob battery (reduced transmission range); and at a few bucks to replace, the cheapest place to start looking for a fix.

Frikiton
04-12-11, 11:25 AM
Most likely the fob battery (reduced transmission range); and at a few bucks to replace, the cheapest place to start looking for a fix.

I'll see if I replace my car battery since its still in warranty and if that doesn't do it at least I got a new battery and I will get a new fob battery. If that doesn't work then I don't know

mastadan20
04-12-11, 03:30 PM

I went to the site you provided but i didnt see anywhere to input the VIN # to pull the info.

chazglenn3
04-12-11, 03:56 PM
Here is the actual link...enjoy!

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

Frikiton
04-20-11, 09:46 PM
Hey folks.. is there an advantage using Sports Mode than Regular Drive mode?

EChas3
04-20-11, 10:21 PM
Sport mode raises shift points a bit. It's not very agressive unless you start pushing the car harder, then it's more noticable.

Frikiton
04-20-11, 11:12 PM
Sport mode raises shift points a bit. It's not very agressive unless you start pushing the car harder, then it's more noticable.

So if I was to push the car hard I should move it to sports mode?

chazglenn3
04-21-11, 12:42 AM
It is a matter of personal choice. I think you should since its there...others might say no. I have not had the opportunity to put my car hard enough to warrant either "performance mode" on the shocks or "sport mode" on the tranny...yet...

Frikiton
04-21-11, 12:47 AM
It is a matter of personal choice. I think you should since its there...others might say no. I have not had the opportunity to put my car hard enough to warrant either "performance mode" on the shocks or "sport mode" on the tranny...yet...

I been pretty aggressive sometimes, taking the advice of some here. "Just drive it like you stole it" lol. But I've left it at standard D mode. I've put it to Sports Mode a few times.