: Should I purchase 2011 GPS Nav Disk?

diggerdog
11-26-10, 12:19 PM
Hello, I would really like to get some feedback and intell on the matter of purchasing ($199+s&h,tax) the GM Direct 2011 Nav disk for my 2006 DTS. I have a Garmin and have been using it however, its seems to make no sense not to use the factory installed GPS system. The question really is, is the $200 well spent on the 2011 Nav disk, installed in a 2006 GPS system? I'm wondering if the dated system is going to work with the newest software? TIA diggerdog

Tomko
11-26-10, 08:14 PM
Simple answer is: Yes.

If you don't want to spend the $200 then you can buy it off of ebay for less.

Mark58
11-27-10, 09:20 AM
Hello, I would really like to get some feedback and intell on the matter of purchasing ($199+s&h,tax) the GM Direct 2011 Nav disk for my 2006 DTS. I have a Garmin and have been using it however, its seems to make no sense not to use the factory installed GPS system. The question really is, is the $200 well spent on the 2011 Nav disk, installed in a 2006 GPS system? I'm wondering if the dated system is going to work with the newest software? TIA diggerdog

I have 2010 and 2011, as far as I am concerned stick with Garmin (I also have one) it's more accurate. My opinion is that Nav system and GM maps are a BIG JOKE.

ffrog
11-27-10, 10:35 AM
I have 2010 and 2011, as far as I am concerned stick with Garmin (I also have one) it's more accurate. My opinion is that Nav system and GM maps are a BIG JOKE.

I totally agree.

Although the portable Garmin is a pain due to being portable it has much more features and better maps and is much less expensive.

Superjim
11-28-10, 07:32 PM
I will be buying the 2011 NAV disk before too long for my 2006.
I am using the 2008 version now.

Texas Jim

tedcmiller
12-04-10, 01:37 PM
I have both Garmin and GM navigation units (several of each). While the Gramin maps, in some cases, are more up-to-date than the GM maps, the GM maps (and units) are not a joke, big or otherwise. The built-in GM units, when compared with the completely portable Garmin units, are essentially theft-proof. Some write-ups, that come with the GPS units, even suggest removing the residue left from suction cups to avoid causing GPS units that might or might not be in the car acting as an incentive for vehicle break-ins.

I, personally, use the in-car units when in the car and the Garmin units at other times. As one poster indicated, the newer navigation discs will work in older navigation units. As far as accuracy is concerned, I don't believe that one system is any more less accurate than the other. In any case, don't expect the maps in either to show new roads that were opened a short time ago. The maps don't get updated that fast.

Mark58
12-04-10, 10:21 PM
I have both Garmin and GM navigation units (several of each). While the Gramin maps, in some cases, are more up-to-date than the GM maps, the GM maps (and units) are not a joke, big or otherwise. The built-in GM units, when compared with the completely portable Garmin units, are essentially theft-proof. Some write-ups, that come with the GPS units, even suggest removing the residue left from suction cups to avoid causing GPS units that might or might not be in the car acting as an incentive for vehicle break-ins.

I, personally, use the in-car units when in the car and the Garmin units at other times. As one poster indicated, the newer navigation discs will work in older navigation units. As far as accuracy is concerned, I don't believe that one system is any more less accurate than the other. In any case, don't expect the maps in either to show new roads that were opened a short time ago. The maps don't get updated that fast.

As far as accuracy is concerned,,,,3 miles from me is Walmart on 23 rd st that has been there for about 8 yrs. Yes Garmin knows it's there but my GM Nav thinks I am in the middle of some field. Recently in Buffalo NY in 4 yr subdivision and GM Nav maps don't know it's there. I could use more examples, but I think I made my point.

tedcmiller
12-05-10, 05:03 PM
That is not the kind of accuracy to which I was referring. I was referring to the accuracy of your current location. You are referring to the accuracy of the maps. I have found, in some cases, that Garmin maps can be as unreliable as the GM maps. Since they are both derived from Navtec technology, I would expect them to be approximaterly the same for the same year of update. I have never had the kind of problem you are describing with either my Garmin or my GM units.

Superjim
12-05-10, 06:31 PM
I have had GM nav units in my cars and trucks for over 5 years...
I have not had many issues with accuracy at all.
Sometimes a street address may be off by a couple of houses...
But... I am "USUALLY" capable of finding 2110 Elm Street if the nav took me to 2114 Elm Street.
Maybe some people are not...I don't know...

I drive over 50,000 miles a year...part for work plus Darling Wife and I do a lot of long road trips.
I will NOT buy another vehicle WITHOUT factory nav.
It is just too handy a tool NOT to have.

And I don't care how much better your 20 dollar handheld system is...I really couldn't care less.
I don't want a piece of stuff like that stuck up on the windshield of my Cadillac.

Sorry if I offended anyone...but oh well...
I can have my opinion as well as you can have yours.

Texas Jim

RippyPartsDept
12-05-10, 06:38 PM
in general, the factory maps are about a year out of date... maybe a bit more

the POI (points of interest) on the GM discs have been really updated in the last couple years (so i've heard)

ffrog
12-07-10, 05:26 PM
I don’t think it is a question of whether one map is more accurate or not. I have both a GM map and a Garmin map and they are both about the same as far as accuracy is concerned. Each has its quirks.

The real difference is in the system itself. The GM NAV System is what, somewhere over a thousand or two. The Garmin (mine) was around 150.00 and it is much more sophisticated and feature loaded. For example just to name two features:

1 – It shows the speed limit for the road that you are on.
2 – It has an ECON feature that selects the most fuel efficient route.

I don’t use the ECON feature but it is there.

Now we all know that Caddy could have incorporated those features if they wanted to.

Now, that all being said, I as TEXAS JIM has posted, all my future vehicles will have a built in NAV system.

TEDCMILLER mentioned in one of his posts that the portable is susceptible to theft more so than the built in system. That is very true. In that regards, there was a recent theft of a portable NAV system from the car of a family who went to a little league ball game and the perpetrators pressed the HOME button and went to their house and broke in.

So, no matter what system you use, set you HOME function to take you near your house; a major intersection, hospital, strip mall, police station, or whatever instead of your actual home.

fez111
12-08-10, 01:10 AM
Hi All. I have an 2006 DTS I bought in February this year. I made teh dealer send me a nav disk (2006) since that is usually the first thing to turn up missing by unscrupulous workers. As far the disk is concerned, there are many new roads in Michigan that are not in the database. Of course everything else new since the disk was written is missing.

As far as the GPS itself is concerned... Well, my aviation Garmin is 10X faster in response time and much more intuitive in its operation. For long trips and highway travel dash unit is works fine. However, when there are multiple turns close together, The Denso waits until I'm past the next turn then tells me to turn, which by then is too late. When it finally realizes I'm off course, it takes a very long time to recalculate the route, and by then you could be another mile away.

Also, the "PROCEDE TO THE HIGHLIGHTED ROUTE THEN NAVIGATION WILL BEGIN" is an assinine way of doing things. I mean, If I knew how to GET to the main roads why would I even need a GPS?

OK, I'm done complaining now. I would love a new database, but $200? Really! GM is trying to pay back Obama with databases!!

Sorry for my ramblings. Guess I just had a bad day. FEZ111

Superjim
12-08-10, 09:39 AM
Hi All. I have an 2006 DTS I bought in February this year. I made teh dealer send me a nav disk (2006) since that is usually the first thing to turn up missing by unscrupulous workers. As far the disk is concerned, there are many new roads in Michigan that are not in the database. Of course everything else new since the disk was written is missing.

As far as the GPS itself is concerned... Well, my aviation Garmin is 10X faster in response time and much more intuitive in its operation. For long trips and highway travel dash unit is works fine. However, when there are multiple turns close together, The Denso waits until I'm past the next turn then tells me to turn, which by then is too late. When it finally realizes I'm off course, it takes a very long time to recalculate the route, and by then you could be another mile away.

Also, the "PROCEDE TO THE HIGHLIGHTED ROUTE THEN NAVIGATION WILL BEGIN" is an assinine way of doing things. I mean, If I knew how to GET to the main roads why would I even need a GPS?

OK, I'm done complaining now. I would love a new database, but $200? Really! GM is trying to pay back Obama with databases!!

Sorry for my ramblings. Guess I just had a bad day. FEZ111

You can get a new disk a lot cheaper on ebay.
When you install the new disk...it will tell you to wait a few minutes while it updates the NAV system.
It will work faster after that.
And you will have a digital clock in the screen.

Texas Jim

tedcmiller
12-08-10, 02:21 PM
Regarding the "accuracy" of maps as far as what they show or don't show, I can say from personal experience that the maps on Garmin units might be as out of date or even more out of date than the GM maps. One poster suggested that the maps on any unit might be "about a year out of date... maybe a little more." A Garmin unit I owned did not show the street on which a friend lived even though he had been there for five years since the date on my Garmin maps.

ffrog
12-08-10, 06:08 PM
Regarding the "accuracy" of maps as far as what they show or don't show, I can say from personal experience that the maps on Garmin units might be as out of date or even more out of date than the GM maps. One poster suggested that the maps on any unit might be "about a year out of date... maybe a little more." A Garmin unit I owned did not show the street on which a friend lived even though he had been there for five years since the date on my Garmin maps.

You can get a Garmin lifetime map update package for less than $100. Their maps are updated quarterly.

Mark58
12-08-10, 07:58 PM
You can get a new disk a lot cheaper on ebay.
When you install the new disk...it will tell you to wait a few minutes while it updates the NAV system.
It will work faster after that.
And you will have a digital clock in the screen.

Texas Jim

Digital clock? I had that on 2010 disk but not on 2011????

tedcmiller
12-08-10, 08:35 PM
I am aware of all the map updates (one time or lifetime) that Garmin offers and their costs.

tedcmiller
12-09-10, 12:22 AM
It should also be noted that the Garmin map updates referred to are applicable to only one piece of Garmin hardware. If you stop using that hardware due to obsolesence , sell it, or lose it, (I have been through four Garmin units - one is obsolete, one was sold, and I still have the other two) the update goes away with it, and you have to buy another update.

ffrog
12-09-10, 11:37 AM
The point is that Garmin maps are updated quarterly, therefore more accurate then the GM yearly and at 89.99 lifetime (of the unit) VS GMs 200.00 a year, much cheaper.

But, as I earlier posted, I will go with factory NAV on all future vehicles due to the Garmin being portable and the hassles involved. My Garmin was purchased for use in a vehicle without a NAV system.

tedcmiller
12-09-10, 11:20 PM
It is a lot cheaper (0 $), than any of the alternatives you are describing, to not make any purchases at all from Garmin or GM.

justinx
12-16-10, 04:15 AM
I too have horrible accuracy with my built in nav on my dts 2009. It is off on the screen (by allot) and like others have said, stuff that's been there for over 4 years, do not even show up. My portable Garmin has not once failed me. The built in nav is in my 2009 dts is a pain and wrong far too often. It either tells you to turn way to early or Wait's till it's past your turn. It is almost useless. My Garmins are right on point, telling you in plenty of time with Lane assist, telling me which lane to be in at the correct time (along with the street name). I wish my built in nav system worked to where it was reliable, because it's much more attractive (I love it i just wish it was more accurate). I do hate that it locks once the car is rolling, my co-piolet cant use it because it locks. I wish it was as accurate as my garmins ( I have 3 ) and the garmins offer a free update. So unless someone says the new maps are on point, i wont travel without my garmin.

cooncat
12-16-10, 09:23 AM
My cousin has a garmin. It really failed him. Yes it has a neat feature of finding a restaurant of the type we wanted, but it got us very lost, We were in 2 cars and I was following in my rental. We were in northern Westchester county, NY. It also got him lost going to the cemetary which have been there for over a hundred years.

tedcmiller
12-16-10, 04:23 PM
I have both Garmin and GM units. Both are back level with respect to map accuracy and will always be back level. If you expect yesterday's road to appear on today's maps, forget it. It takes time (years) to get changes through the system, and some areas are ignored much longer than others.

psc
12-16-10, 11:14 PM
I just call On-Star...they seem to get me there everytime.

Superjim
12-17-10, 10:05 AM
I just call On-Star...they seem to get me there everytime.

:thumbsup:...yeah...what he said...love OnStar...:thumbsup:..:stirpot:

fez111
04-27-11, 01:29 AM
My Garmin is mostly for flying, but it also turned out to be w wonderful auto GPS as well. As far as databases, most Garmins can be periodically updated online. They charge for it, but its a fraction of the $200 Gm wants!!!

StuJac
04-27-11, 09:21 AM
We had a trip to Ocean City NJ this past weekend; first long drive with the new (to me) Caddy. We used the built-in Nav system (even though I know the route) but on the way home, when we wanted to find a place to eat, we had to break out the Garmin. The POI function on the built-in is not up to par. I do like the eta on the Garmin and my Garmin also doubles as a blutooth and an mp3 player so it's hard to choose. I hate to have it sit on top of the dash so I think it'll always be a backup to the built in one.

Btw-does anybody know how to check what version the built-in disc is? When I bought my car it didn't have a disc; I had to ask the salesgirl and she handed me one. We can't find a date on it at all.

Superjim
04-27-11, 10:36 AM
We had a trip to Ocean City NJ this past weekend; first long drive with the new (to me) Caddy. We used the built-in Nav system (even though I know the route) but on the way home, when we wanted to find a place to eat, we had to break out the Garmin. The POI function on the built-in is not up to par. I do like the eta on the Garmin and my Garmin also doubles as a blutooth and an mp3 player so it's hard to choose. I hate to have it sit on top of the dash so I think it'll always be a backup to the built in one.

Btw-does anybody know how to check what version the built-in disc is? When I bought my car it didn't have a disc; I had to ask the salesgirl and she handed me one. We can't find a date on it at all.

They usually do not have a DATE...
Look for the Version number... that will tell you what year/version it is.
Current version is 5... I think...

Texas Jim

StuJac
04-27-11, 11:52 AM
Thanks Jim.

StuJac
04-27-11, 05:47 PM
They usually do not have a DATE...
Look for the Version number... that will tell you what year/version it is.
Current version is 5... I think...

Texas Jim

I just checked the disc case and it says 5.0c. Great that she handed me a new disc.

Superjim
04-27-11, 08:23 PM
I just checked the disc case and it says 5.0c. Great that she handed me a new disc.

Very good... :cool2:
There "MAY" be one newer than that, but I am not sure.

Jim

RippyPartsDept
04-27-11, 09:46 PM
call up the navdisc center and ask them... they will know for sure
there should be an 8 digit part number on the face of the disc also that they might use to determine exactly what version/year that disc is from

Tomko
04-27-11, 10:27 PM
The latest version I know of is 6.0c p/n 20940248.

tedcmiller
04-28-11, 02:03 PM
Updated maps are just as useless as old ones if the "updates" don't include the roads you are interested in. I am well aware of the offers provided by Garmin, and I feel the need to point out that the "lifetime" offer only extends to the original purchaser of the update or the "lifetime" (as defined by Garmin) of the unit for which the update is purchased.

StuJac
04-28-11, 02:30 PM
Correct and these Garmin's have a shelf life. The battery stops holding it's charge after about 3 years as mine has done. Very conflicted as to whether to replace it. Every time I call Garmin they tell me to do a "hard reset" and that does absolutely nothing. Also, Garmin will NOT remove a POI entry; restaurants, etc. Every update adds to what is in the unit so that by the time you've updated it about 6 or so times it takes longer and longer to find the satellite and fully boot up.

Superjim
04-28-11, 07:07 PM
Maybe there are better choices than the factory NAV...
I won't debate that...
But my factory unit has always got me to where I need to go or at least close enough that I had no problem finding what I was looking for.

For the time being... that's good enough for me.
Gonna take another long trip here in a few days... 4000 to 5000 miles.
If it messes up on the trip... then I may consider something else, but so far, as I said, I have been happy with the factory NAV.

Texas Jim

Tomko
05-03-11, 12:45 AM
I just bought 6.0 from ebay. I'll let y'all know about it once it arrives and i get it installed.

osiris83
05-03-11, 11:16 AM
Does the clock show up automatically when you put in the new disc? I downloaded the the 6.0c (20940248) disc, i popped the disc in, it updated for several minutes but no clock. I like the analog clock on the dash but it picks up a lot of glare.

ffrog
05-04-11, 12:23 PM
Correct and these Garmin's have a shelf life. The battery stops holding it's charge after about 3 years as mine has done. Very conflicted as to whether to replace it. Every time I call Garmin they tell me to do a "hard reset" and that does absolutely nothing. Also, Garmin will NOT remove a POI entry; restaurants, etc. Every update adds to what is in the unit so that by the time you've updated it about 6 or so times it takes longer and longer to find the satellite and fully boot up.

My Garmin is about 5 years old and the battery is fine. But, unless you are navigating a city using it as a hand held, you donít really need the battery, just plug into a power outlet and go.

Why would you NOT want the latest POIs? That is one of the purposes of updating. Also, the updates do not slow down locating a satellite. The updates do not come into play until after you are fully operational and have selected a destination.

jlwilson33952
05-08-11, 01:38 AM
I replaced a Version 4 disc in my 2006 DTS Performance with the new 2011 Version 6.0c and I think I am going back. The clock is gone now and pressing the DEST button takes about 20 seconds to come up with the DEST screen. If anyone wants this 6.0c I will trade it for a late Version 5. Email me at jlwilson33952@comcast.net
I think the newer model cars must come with faster processors.

Tomko
05-10-11, 10:20 PM
I received my version 6.0c in the mail today. It took about 10 minutes to update.

I can confirm that the digital clock is sadly gone, however the graphical layout of the screen appears to be an improvement.

I have not yet been able to test it on the road, but will update y'all later.

ken615
05-11-11, 11:33 PM
You can improve the performance of the nav system by pushing the Onstar button and asking the person to update your GPS prom. I did that when I went to a version 5.0 disk and the speed and accuracy of the system improved dramatically. They download the latest firmware into your system as you are driving down the road, no charge, and it only takes a few minutes. Give it a try. Ken.

ffrog
05-12-11, 10:29 AM
You can improve the performance of the nav system by pushing the Onstar button and asking the person to update your GPS prom. I did that when I went to a version 5.0 disk and the speed and accuracy of the system improved dramatically. They download the latest firmware into your system as you are driving down the road, no charge, and it only takes a few minutes. Give it a try. Ken.

I tried this the other day and they switched me over to the technical folks who then told me that I would have to take it to a dealer for this update.

RippyPartsDept
05-12-11, 12:08 PM
as far as I know the only thing that the onstar people can do is initiate an update that is already on the disc in your drive... there is no data transfer that they can initiate over the cell phone connection - definitely nothing over the satellite connection (that is strictly for gps)

ffrog
05-12-11, 04:41 PM
as far as I know the only thing that the onstar people can do is initiate an update that is already on the disc in your drive... there is no data transfer that they can initiate over the cell phone connection - definitely nothing over the satellite connection (that is strictly for gps)

That is exactly what On-Star TEC told me. And, it makes sense. Maybe the other poster was referring to On-Star turn by turn directions which, really sucks, versus the Navigation System.

FYI: The other day I was setting up a destination and my hand slipped and I accidently touched somewhere near the center of the screen. The system no longer showed my carís icon where it normally is. I finally got back to where the display normally is and it showed words at the bottom of the screen indicating that I was actually sitting in the DRIVEWAY of my home address. This never showed up before. And, this is the good part, the system is actually more accurate. On a freeway it actually beeps where I should get off, not a couple of hundred feet prior to the point as it used to. I am afraid to experiment, I donít want to lose the new found accuracy.

Gee, now maybe I can find my way home. :D:

ken615
05-12-11, 06:38 PM
The nav system uses the GPS module (receiver) in your car to determine your current location...as does any nav system. If the GPS system doesn't have the latest firmware installed, the system will not correctly interpret the data that's on the nav disk, and your turn notifications will be either early or late. This correction is not something that I dreamed up. After over a month of dealing with a couple of service departments at different dealers, I finally opened a case with Cadillac Customer Service on how to improve the accuracy of the nav system (which was really lousy. Accuracy was off by a couple of hundred yards and turn notifications were invariably late). After a couple of false starts, the team at Cadillac that designs the nav system recommended the update thru Onstar. It worked for me...and should for you as well. The dealers that I dealt with had no clue whatsoever on how to update the prom, so don't let the Onstar tech try to convince you that the dealer can solve the problem. After the GPS prom got the latest firmware installed via the satellite link from Onstar, my nav system is at least as accurate as my Garmin.

hazcaddy
05-12-11, 07:45 PM
Ken:

Can you pls let us know what you mean by "prom" - I don't think it is the thing that high school kids get drunk at in June...

If I contact my OnStar advisor I'd like to use the proper term, not the acronym.

Superjim
05-13-11, 12:36 AM
PROM...

Programmable
Read
Only
Memory

Texas Jim

Tomko
05-16-11, 10:37 PM
Okay, so I've spent some time driving around with 6.0c.

+ Pluses:

The colours on the screen are more attractive to look at.

The graphics appear to be slightly improved over 4.1c and 5.0c but not as clear as 3.0c.

The roads in my area are updated.

It cost me $79 off ebay.

- Minuses:

The clock is gone.

~ Neutrals:

The load time and destination button take the same amount of time on my 2008 as did 3.0c, 4.1c and 5.0c.

I need more time to assess if there's an improvement to the logic of its routings.

amy
05-23-11, 02:24 AM

I suggest you to buy 2011 Nav disk from ebay since it costs you less than $200. I got 2011 Nav disk for my 2009 DTS for $175 from ebay.

Tomko
06-14-11, 10:25 PM
Well I've now had enough time driving around with 6.0c to confirm that it still has the same illogical routings of the previous versions.

RippyPartsDept
06-15-11, 10:51 AM
have you double checked the 'route preference' settings in the config menu?

Danny331911
12-31-11, 03:02 PM
NO!!! Don't buy it and if you do for God's sake don't get it from the thieves at GMNAV Disk.

If you take out your DVD disk and put in your computer to check the folders you'll see that the 2011 dsk has maps dated DEC2008. The maps are even older than that and I have found no difference in them from the maps in the DEC2007 dated map folder on my GMNAV Dsk that came with my then new 2010 vehicle.

They just released the 2012 GMNAV dsk update and guess what. The maps are from 2009 and they are no where near up to date with roads and addresses that were open that year or in 2008 for that matter.

GM as always takes a great vehicle and then pisses off people that plunk down $50K or more by screwing up badly such details as "intentionally" selling 3-4 year old maps with a $1500-2500 in dash Nav system then trying to "gouge" customers for a ridiculous $200 for a truly feeble attempt at an "update".

GM needs to be held accountable for this scam and so far no one is except for the few of us willing to rip their thieving throats out on blogs.

We are not only customers but we bailed out this damn company with our tax dollars and we who then also pony up a huge bundles of cash to buy a GM vehicle DESERVES BETTER!

RippyPartsDept
12-31-11, 03:07 PM
Danny, how about you go and compile a list of the nav disc update prices for toyota/lexus, bmw, mercedes, gm, ford, nissan/infinity, and honda/acura ... you could do more if you like

then post your research back here... that is your homework for the week
i have a feeling GM will not be the most expensive (probably about average)

thanks

davidcadillac
01-05-12, 12:33 AM
what he is saying is that atleast with updated disks from other car manufacturing companies you are getting quality updates. Its not the price, its what you get. On my 02 Q45 I updated the NAV with a 2006 disk (in 2007) and it was a major upgrade. Graphics, functionality, and the maps were 2006 maps with the latest road improvements. Cadillac should make it worthwhile, considering, well it isnt just for Cadillac. If you look at ALL GM NAV screens, they are, well the exact same for the most part). So, make it worth your while.

TulsaVic
01-05-12, 02:03 PM
Don't have NAV, don't have any kind of GPS. So this is a totally uneducated comment. But I recently was on a house hunting trip and the real estate agent was able to sit at his kitchen table the night before with his Garmin unit, and program the thing to view six different properties, from time to time pausing to take a sip from his coffee and a bite from his donut. That convenience alone would point me toward the aftermarket units. Can't do that with an in-dash unit. He was also able to place the display up on the dash where he could see it without having to take his eyes completely off the road. Another thing you can't do with the indash unit (at least in the DTS).

Granted, the aftermarket stuff is a bit messy with the extra wires and mounting issues. But you don't need the thing everyday. Keep it in your desk drawer until you need it.....

ffrog
01-05-12, 03:04 PM
Don't have NAV, don't have any kind of GPS. So this is a totally uneducated comment. But I recently was on a house hunting trip and the real estate agent was able to sit at his kitchen table the night before with his Garmin unit, and program the thing to view six different properties, from time to time pausing to take a sip from his coffee and a bite from his donut. That convenience alone would point me toward the aftermarket units. Can't do that with an in-dash unit. He was also able to place the display up on the dash where he could see it without having to take his eyes completely off the road. Another thing you can't do with the indash unit (at least in the DTS).

Granted, the aftermarket stuff is a bit messy with the extra wires and mounting issues. But you don't need the thing everyday. Keep it in your desk drawer until you need it.....

You brought up a good point. Volvo and maybe others, offer two types of navigation systems. They have the in dash permanent mount and they offer a Garmin that plugs into a built in docking station. No wires no mess. This one you can also use in any vehicle and program it in the house as you said.

Superjim
01-05-12, 03:37 PM

Vic,

You can set the end of the trip on the built in NAV and then set WAYPOINTS to take you to other places.
Or an even easier way is to just put in the six different addresses...
It stores them all in memory and you just touch two buttons to have one of them display on your screen...
It is super easy to do...
And if you have a 2009 or newer... you can do it all on your smartphone using GOOGLE MAPS...and send it all to the car...

Jim

ogbuehi
01-09-12, 08:11 PM
You can also use the onstar app to do the same. Very convenient instead of trying to punch it manually on the dash. I tried it and it worked great.