: Favorite new auto manufacturers?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-25-10, 11:29 PM
Of all the brands on the market, which ones offer cars that you really like now, that you wouldn't have considered before.

Nissan has always been a favorite of mine, atleast in recent years. All their cars have edgy, unique styling unlike most others on the market, are generally pretty sporty and fun to drive and have lots of neat features at a good price. They're not as weird looking as a Honda, more appealing and fun to drive than a Toyota and bigger than a Mazda. Nissan is only improving over the years. The '90s Nissans were pretty dull by comparison, except for the Maxima and 300ZX, they were hot cars in their days. I feel the same about Infiniti as well, but I lament the Q45.

Porsche, another brand that's getting consistently better, IMO. More models to offer, a wide variety of cars that they wouldn't have done before and more livable interiors with more creature comforts than ever offered before.

Ford has jumped by leaps and bounds in the last 10 years. Their cars and trucks overall are better in almost all regards than they were at the start of the decade. Their growth and progress amazes me.

GM overall has followed in Ford's footsteps, but not as quickly nor as quite as well. Now if only Cadillac would bring back a proper full size RWD sedan and a full size luxury coupe...

Hyundai is another huge one. They're really, really going places and fast. They're to 2010 what Toyota was to 1990, just reaching their full stride and making a big name for themselves, with serious luxury cars and sports coupes. Kia is the same way too, just not as much and without the extremely nice luxury sedans and sport coupes.

Audi/VW is another one. Making boring, ugly looking, generally weird sedans 15-20 years ago, then unreliable but appealing cars 10 years ago, now they're really on their A-Game. Quality is way up, performance is way up and they're really slick looking! They started the LED parking/DRL light trend.

Jesda
11-25-10, 11:34 PM
I used to be a huge Nissan fan but quality went down, way down, at the turn of the century. Their 4-door sports car got fat and pudgy and any trace of sportiness was replaced by a CVT. The GTR is impressive on paper but ruins some of the romance of motoring. Every Altima, Murano, Sentra, or other low-cost turd blends in with traffic.
The 370Z is impressive, truly impressive, and I like the Titan. The G- and M-cars from Infiniti are exceptionally well made.

But, I ran out of love for Nissan. The charm is mostly dead.

I seriously want an Audi S5 convertible.
http://audi-s5.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/2010-audi-s5-convertible-front-angle-tilt-top-1280x960.jpg
Between the A5/S5 and the 3-series convertible, I'm seriously torn. I'd easily pick the Audi A8 over its competitors, if I could afford one.

The third-generation Miata is sharper looking and nicer inside than its ever been, and I've been a Mazda fan since forever. That's one brand that really sticks to its core values.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-25-10, 11:44 PM
When I replace the Regal, I'm seriously considering a Maxima. I've always liked them, and almost bought an '02-'03 GLE/SE instead of the GS, but I chose the Buick because I was, and still am, more familiar with GM and the ownership costs are cheaper. The Maxima, however, is more of a driver's car, with more direct steering, a sportier suspension and an arguably better engine.

Jesda
11-26-10, 12:19 AM
Older Maximas last for-freaking-ever. :cool: I know Jimmy had a 97, and I had a 90. Fun to toss around and comfortable on long trips with insane traction in the snow.

That car really lost its soul over the last few years.

Stingroo
11-26-10, 12:34 AM
My dad had a 92 that was a really nice car. Shame it got stuffed under a truck who was stopped in the road when there was heavy snow out. :(

ryannel2003
11-26-10, 09:55 AM
I like Nissan quite a bit, especially the new Altima, Maxima, and 370Z. I'm more a fan of the early 90's Maxima, which favors the Seville quite a bit if you ask me. Hyundai continues to make great strides with cars like Sonata and Genesis and coming soon the Equus, though I have my reservations on a car like that mainly because they priced it so high. For some reason, I can't really warm up to the newest Ford design's and that might be because I've been a GM guy all my life but I feel that the F-150 and Super Duty trucks are just too "big" looking, while the Mustang just doesn't have the same swagger as the Camaro. The Fusion is a good car for sure though, and I'm very impressed that it's selling as well as it is.

Porsche is one of my all time favorites. I've been a 911 fan since I can remember. I will always have a special place for Porsche, and I vow to one day own one. Hopefully VW doesn't cheapen the brand and put in vehicles that don't deserve to be there. Speaking of which, Audi is another great brand and cars like R8, A4, A5, and A8 really appeal to me because of how elegantly crafted they are while retaining the features that made Audi and Audi.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-26-10, 10:24 AM
One of my best friends from my high school days had a '93 Maxima SE, and I thought it was pretty fun to toss around, with very tight/direct steering, great throttle response and a very good suspension setup that both held the corners very well, but didn't punish everyone inside with an overly firm ride. 1993 was the first year they offered the SE with the DOHC 3.0L V6, and I could feel that the motor made good power, but the four speed auto transmission wasn't able to take full advantage of it. If it had the five speed manual, it would have been a lot faster (Nissan quoted those as being 6.7 seconds 0-60, and we timed his at like 8.7) and a lot more fun to drive. I remember it having comfortable seats, both front and back (surprisingly so for an early '90s midsize Japanese sedan), but the interior design wasn't anything to write home about.

Playdrv4me
11-26-10, 02:37 PM
When I replace the Regal, I'm seriously considering a Maxima. I've always liked them, and almost bought an '02-'03 GLE/SE instead of the GS, but I chose the Buick because I was, and still am, more familiar with GM and the ownership costs are cheaper. The Maxima, however, is more of a driver's car, with more direct steering, a sportier suspension and an arguably better engine.

Those last couple of years are the PEAK for the Maxima as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention that the Maxima is FAR more attractive and sportier than the Infiniti I35. By the end of the model run, that body style maxima had some REALLY nice options including very attractive wheel packages, xenon headlamps, a decent Bose stereo and of course, a stickshift. You can not go wrong with one of those.

77CDV
11-26-10, 02:40 PM
I've been rather impressed by Hyundai of late. Recent Bentleys are also attractive. Outside of that, the new car scene isn't doing much for me.

Jesda
11-26-10, 03:50 PM
I've been impressed with a Hyundai but I don't really care for most of their cars. They seem to be copying Toyota, which is good for business, but doesn't do anything for me:

One exception: The Genesis 4.6 is a comfortable, affordable, and even an attractive luxury car.

blue07cts
11-26-10, 04:33 PM
I would have to put hyundai/KIA on the top of my list, as little as 5 years ago I wasn't interested in anything they made, at all, now I would glady drive a loaded new sonata or genises, and the KIA forte Koup is possible the best looking compact coupe on the market right now. Also I will have to go with audi/VW as well, 10 years ago they were ok but the ONLY thing I liked enough to actually drive from audi/VW was the A6,now since the current gen A6 came onto the scene there products have been impressive and getting better.

Aron9000
11-27-10, 01:30 PM
I will say I am most impressed with Ford lately, they have made huge strides in quality and design in the last 5-7 years. I would've never recommended a Ford to anybody until now, hell I'd buy a Fusion or a Taurus over anything else right now if I were looking for a boring sedan. Their small Fiesta looks real nice too in hatch form.

Always have been a big Mazda fan, even though I've never owned one.

As for Hyundia, they've made great strides in the past 5 years, but their styling is just copy cat and BLAH!!! We'll see if their stuff holds together over the longer term. I can say the same thing about the newer Fords as well, we'll see how they've held up in 10 years to tell if any real progress was made.

MauiV
11-27-10, 02:39 PM
Well obviously VW has made a move on me. The funny thing is I HATE white cars but virtually every VW model looks better in the Candy White. I am thoroughly impressed by the CC and prefer it to any non-V CTS. The Audi A8 is amazing. I wish that VW would bring the 4door R32 to the states along with the RS6.

I also love what Merc is doing. I HATED the bug eye E class but the new styling is great. IMO the CLS is the best looking car on the road (especially in AMG63 trim). The R hybrid wagon/suv is the only model that I dont like and consider it actually one of the ugliest cars on the road today. Even the C class which I always had a disdain for at least looks like luxury car now. The GLK is dead sexy

I like the Volvo C30 lines an Im not a "hot hatch" Euro kinda guy but its clean. The interior however looks very very cheap. I saw some new S60s for the first time up close yesterday and cant say Im really a fan. They remind me of the Honda Cross tour and that isnt a good thing with that huge open guppy mouth.

The E24 M6 was the last BMW that I found visually striking.

The Infiniti G37 was and is still the only Asian car that I have any interest in.

I really like what Buick has done over the last few years. the Enclave had to grow on me but I now LOVE that ride.

Ford is the Toyota of American cars to me. Vanilla and boring. The Shelby Mustangs are monster performers but I lost my affinity for pony cars and mullets 20 years ago. The Taurus is HUGE and fairly attractive and the SHO is the only one I would consider but the Ecoboost V6 is a fail of a choice IMO when the 4.6 and 5.0 are now both available. Lincoln needs a performance V8 luxury sedan to compete with the V, M, AMG and RS lines

I did like where Pontiac was going, especially the use of Holdens. The G8 GXP was the best car out of Pontiac in decades if not ever and it had much too short of a life. I think getting rid of the SUVs and eco boxes for the G8, GTO, Solstice, (needed a performance G6 style car) would have turned the company around but it was too little, too late.

The Saab 9-5 is a great looking car inside and out but the price tag is a tad high and I dont see many of these selling for a company that already has a niche following.

Im a slut for Rovers. I know they are unreliable, ostentatious and overpriced but I LOVE them. The full size Range Rover and the RR Sport are just beautiful vehicles. The Defender is the only other one I like. The LR2, LR4, Discovery, etc etc do nothing for me and I find them ugly.

drewsdeville
11-27-10, 03:03 PM
Ford is the Toyota of American cars to me. Vanilla and boring. The Shelby Mustangs are monster performers but I lost my affinity for pony cars and mullets 20 years ago. The Taurus is HUGE and fairly attractive and the SHO is the only one I would consider but the Ecoboost V6 is a fail of a choice IMO when the 4.6 and 5.0 are now both available. Lincoln needs a performance V8 luxury sedan to compete with the V, M, AMG and RS lines

I did like where Pontiac was going, especially the use of Holdens. The G8 GXP was the best car out of Pontiac in decades if not ever and it had much too short of a life. I think getting rid of the SUVs and eco boxes for the G8, GTO, Solstice, (needed a performance G6 style car) would have turned the company around but it was too little, too late.

LOL?

The 4.6 or the 5.0 are better options in the Taurus? Pho realz, yo? Why? The stigma of a V8 isn't enough because the V8 SHO of the late '90's was complete fail compared to it's predecessor. Besides, it's competition is doing quite well with a V6(G37), and I doubt a V8 SHO would sway G37 fans away from Nissan.

Besides, do you realize how physically large Fords 90 degree OHC V8's are? Shoehorning one into any of the newer chassis would be quite a magic trick. Even then, the thing would be a maintenance nightmare, just like the '90's 4.6 Continental.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Summer2010/4_6/4.6_5.0_size-difference.jpg

Performance vehicles aren't anywhere near the most profitable genre of vehicle out there. Pontiac bailing on economy cars and SUV's for performance cars wouldn't have yielded any better results, even if you personally may have been more interested. The GTO, G8 and Soltice were all flops of mega proportions.

MauiV
11-27-10, 03:39 PM
These are the first V8s worth a shit that Ford has made in decades. Ford had to blow their V8s to get close to the power that LSx engines made natural. The V8 Taurus was first and foremost UGLY, regardless of whats pushing it down the road. The Taurus engine bay is no smaller than a Mustang. Just because you sell a shitload of a model doesnt make it a good car. How many Bugs, Corollas and Cavaliers are on the road?

First and formost I like a car because of the way it LOOKS. 2nd is the way it performs. Practicality isnt a huge factor to me. I dont have kids, I dont have a farm, I dont consider gas mileage. I buy what I LIKE, not what is the most sensable car economically or enviromentaly. I like cars that look good and move out in a hurry when I push the go pedal. As was once said in here some people put as much emotion into buying a car as buying a dishwasher. Those are the people that do what Consumer Reports tells them to do. Their car is mearly a necessary tool for transportation and they end up in a Camry or an Accord and they have never looked over their shoulder walking through a parking lot for a last glimpse of it.

Lifes too short to drive a shit box boring car.

drewsdeville
11-27-10, 03:48 PM
Right

But The manufacturer has to stay in business and profit...that's the whole point. They can't just bail on ecomony cars and SUV's for the sake of low profit enthusiast interest. There's money to be made in those genres.

Comparing size of engine bays between the Mustang and the Taurus really doesn't say much. The Taurus uses a FWD/AWD transverse mount configuration while the Mustang is RWD longitudinal mount. Even if the 5.0 would somehow attract new customers, I don't think they could find a way to fit it in there without extensive modifications to the cars proportions, altering weight distribution, suspension, and interior design. They'd have to scrap the car and start over. The MUCH smaller 60 degree V6 that's in there is already a tight fit in both width and length.

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2010-ford-taurus-sho--ecoboost-engine_100178051_l.jpg

And no, moving Ford's Camry/Accord/Altima/Malibu/Sonata competitor to RWD would be a horrible idea.

hueterm
11-27-10, 03:52 PM
MauiV, meet Drew... Now that you're back, I'm sure you'll enjoy him just as much as the rest of us do...

MauiV
11-27-10, 04:04 PM
A 5.0 AWD SHO would be a BEAST of a ride I would consider owning. No need to make the whole platform rwd when the SHO would be the only one getting the V8 and it could keep its AWD config. Plus they have the Fusion to fill the "I have no soul or taste" market. The Fusion with the Econoboost would be an interesting mix, especially if it were available with AWD and got the Falcon styling from Australia. The funniest part of this? I get Fords at A plan pricing and cant find one I would own, so I dont. Id rather drive somethign I enjoy rather than save a few thousand bucks. The Navigator intrests me but not enough to own one and I already have a Jeep for an SUV. I did own a Lincoln LS because I liked the way it looked, but it could have used the supercharger plant out of the Jag S Type R. I had a Ford F150 Kings Ranch back in the day but I got rid of it on Maui when I tired of it. Im good for about 3 years max on a car. This summer was 3 years with the V for me and now it is on its way out the door.

Personally I find it a crime against nature that the Camaro, Mustang and Challenger are even available with a V6 but I guess 16 year old girls need something to drive too. People buy green Neons and some buy pink Hummers so yes, there is shitty taste all across the spectrum.

drewsdeville
11-27-10, 04:22 PM
I see. Yes, the 5.0 Taurus would be a beast. However, the system is a FWD based and packaged AWD...take a look at the typical transverse FWD drivetrain mounting in the pic above. They can't just somehow make certain models RWD and others FWD - it's not possible. There's a difference between this and, say, one of the old Astro AWD's. If they based it on RWD to begin with, it might be an option.

You might find it interesting that Ford now considers it's Ecoboost V6 it's premium engine, even in it's full sized trucks. Next year, the Ecoboost will be the more expensive, optional engine package. It even matches the towing capacity of the 6.2 V8 equipped models.

http://www.dailytech.com/Ford+F150s+EcoBoost+V6+Gets+Detailed+Outguns+50+V8/article19675.htm

I suppose that means that Ford has decided to market their F150 to 16 year old girls :suspense:

MauiV
11-27-10, 04:27 PM
MauiV, meet Drew... Now that you're back, I'm sure you'll enjoy him just as much as the rest of us do...

Its all good. Im all Loritab'd up sitting on the couch watching football (Geaux Tigers!) I can argue with a wall all day.

People have two choices in life, either agree with me or be wrong (copyright pending), your choice!!

Jesda
11-27-10, 04:32 PM
I'm not sure where Volvo is going with their new styling. I do like the new interiors. They're minimalistic and clean without being boring.
http://newcarpicture.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/2011-new-volvo-s60-interior.jpg

For whatever reason, I've never been excited about Ford. I've generally had positive experiences and find them to be mostly decent cars -- the new stuff is great -- but nothing they build really interests me except the Mustang.

Jeep is REALLY getting their act together right now.

MauiV
11-27-10, 04:39 PM
I dont care what Ford considers it. IM NOT BUYING ONE, Ford can continue to market its ugly boring cars to Lemmings who will overpay for less motor. When someone that isnt a die hard Ford/Chevy guy goes to buy a new truck Ford will discover what Toyota and Nissan did. People want V8s in their half tons. When I buy a vehicle I want the best model available. If I like it enough to buy it, I want the best one available that I can afford. I want the best power plant, the best trim package the best interior available. I spend an hour or so a day minimum in my car so I want it to be enjoyable. If I didnt care I would drive a Prius or some other plastic eco box that the masses eat up but I consider a car an extension of me and my personality.

orconn
11-27-10, 07:21 PM
I like the look of that new interior from Volvo, very much reminds me of the interior of the Peugeot RCZ which is clean and functional with the "boom-box" center stack done with a modicum of moderation!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-27-10, 08:32 PM
It's funny, since I started working at the Nissan/Kia dealer last week, my fondness for most new cars has dwindled. Sure, you paid a lot of money for your brand new "xxx", but it's really no different from the other 200,000 of them on the road, regardless of what options it has or doesn't have. I mean yeah if you're driving around in a 350/370Z that's one thing, but not any of the Souls, Sorentos, Altimas or Sentras that are so commonly seen. Which only enforces my desire to have the odd, rare, expensive or vintage cars.

Playdrv4me
11-27-10, 08:51 PM
Im a slut for Rovers. I know they are unreliable, ostentatious and overpriced but I LOVE them. The full size Range Rover and the RR Sport are just beautiful vehicles. The Defender is the only other one I like. The LR2, LR4, Discovery, etc etc do nothing for me and I find them ugly.

Play with Rover and you are sure to get burned 9 times out of 10. That said, I'm glad to take the gamble. Outside of a G-Class and possibly an LX470, nothing comes close to the capability and looks of a Range Rover.

elwesso
11-27-10, 09:26 PM
Honestly every time Ive been around a Hyundai, Ive been impressed.. What you get for the money is pretty good, they are good cars and they feel very solid.. A lot to be said from what you might say about a hyundai even 5 years ago.

as far as the nissan GT-R is concerned (Jesda), as soon as you can pull 1.5G's at 150MPH on all seasons tires with 4 people in the car and the AC on, then we'll talk about losing the romance of driving... Yes I saw this happen in person.

drewsdeville
11-28-10, 12:42 AM
I dont care what Ford considers it. IM NOT BUYING ONE, Ford can continue to market its ugly boring cars to Lemmings who will overpay for less motor. When someone that isnt a die hard Ford/Chevy guy goes to buy a new truck Ford will discover what Toyota and Nissan did. People want V8s in their half tons. When I buy a vehicle I want the best model available. If I like it enough to buy it, I want the best one available that I can afford. I want the best power plant, the best trim package the best interior available. I spend an hour or so a day minimum in my car so I want it to be enjoyable. If I didnt care I would drive a Prius or some other plastic eco box that the masses eat up but I consider a car an extension of me and my personality.

I understand this, but your preference doesn't mean that Ford's decision to put a V6 in the SHO was not wise. It just means you won't get one.

In regards to no one wanting V6's in their pickups, talk to the millions of consumers and municpalities that ordered Silverado's with 4.3L and F150's that ordered 4.2L...and that's when they were weaker than the V8 counterpart, which will no longer be the case.

Don't generalize the public's wants to justify your own. Ford's done enough research to understand that the V6 is more than capable and desirable in the F150. Negating Ford's decision with your own opinion really doesn't say much of anything.

Jesda
11-28-10, 02:02 PM
honestly every time ive been around a hyundai, ive been impressed.. What you get for the money is pretty good, they are good cars and they feel very solid.. A lot to be said from what you might say about a hyundai even 5 years ago.

As far as the nissan gt-r is concerned (jesda), as soon as you can pull 1.5g's at 150mph on all seasons tires with 4 people in the car and the ac on, then we'll talk about losing the romance of driving... Yes i saw this happen in person.

*zombie alert*
*wes is alive*

The GT-R lacks charm. It has engineering sophistication and insane value for money, but no charm. Charm is part of the romance. I can read pages and pages about how great it is, but I still don't want one, even at half the price.

slk230mb
11-28-10, 02:20 PM
It's funny, since I started working at the Nissan/Kia dealer last week, my fondness for most new cars has dwindled. Sure, you paid a lot of money for your brand new "xxx", but it's really no different from the other 200,000 of them on the road, regardless of what options it has or doesn't have. I mean yeah if you're driving around in a 350/370Z that's one thing, but not any of the Souls, Sorentos, Altimas or Sentras that are so commonly seen. Which only enforces my desire to have the odd, rare, expensive or vintage cars.

:yeah:

I was by NorthBay Cadillac getting an extended warranty for my STS-V and they mentioned they only sold 4 over the course of their run. A couple of sales guys had never seen one, so they asked to look around the car. I get great satisfaction that knowing my car is just a little bit different from all the other STS' on the road. :)

orconn
11-28-10, 07:27 PM

Chad, did I miss your announcement that you have found a new job? Is this job at the Nissan/Kia dealership a full time position or is this a part time job along with your route sales job?

77CDV
11-29-10, 10:34 PM
I think Chad got tired of auditioning for the reincarnation of Willy Loman. :lol:

OffThaHorseCEO
11-30-10, 02:08 PM
to be honest, if i was in the market for a new car right now id be checking out Fords and buicks if not cadillacs. Theres was a long period of time where Buicks got boring, forgettable even, same with fords though not as much.

Lately the Taurus and especially the SHO have been catching my attention. The midsize fords arent ugly and are loaded with cool gadgets.

The Buick Regal and LacCrosse really do somethin for me. It would be very difficult to decide between a red white or black lacrosse since each does something subtle yet noticeable to the cars shapes and accents. The 85 Regal was my first car ever, and the current body is the first im not ashamed to see a regal nameplate on (sorry Chad, thats my opinion though). Now if only they would make a 2 door.

Nothing from toyota, honda, mazda or nissan impresses me (except maybe nissans infiniti's). The chevrolet camaro is eye catching but its already played out. the mustang is horrible looking imo. Oh Jeeps, the new jeeps look very nice inside and out, but it looks like theyre getting further and further from their roots as an all terrain vehicle first.

Anyways, to address the question of the thread. If I was buying a car and it couldnt be a Cadillac, it would be either a buick or a ford. My GF on the other hand, would probably buy an Audi at which point i would drive the MESS out of it

OffThaHorseCEO
11-30-10, 02:57 PM

this was gonna be my next post. my first post was about new cars, but if i was truly in the market for another vehicle, id be looking into some classics, lately one of the objects of my lust has been C1 Corvettes, VERY pricey but if i could afford one id definitely take a C1 over a C6. Another ive been drooling over lately is the early 70's Mercedes SL. I pulled up an old Top gear episode about the SL (and also to see why everyone dislikes the US version so much). The host summed it up VERY well when he said,"Im forever judging a car on how it goes, how it handles how it rides but thats the not point with this. The point is, how it makes you feel....I like it! And I look at everybody else going around in their air-conditioned euro-boxes and I just feeel...better off"

Another top gear episode compared a newer mustang gt500 to an older mustang gt390 (or something). both could be bought for about the same price. to the true car enthusiast, the better choice ends up being the older model.

Lets be honest, we all exhibit some level of vanity especially when it comes to our cars. If that wasnt the case, we wouldnt be driving cadillacs or customizing or accessorizing them. With that said, it makes me feel good that I dont see an allante at every other intersection, hell, other than a couple for sale in my area, i havent seen an allante in the city i live, the city i work, OR the city my mom lives OR the city my mom works. Thats a good feeling!