: POLL How did my car deal go wrong?

mharker
11-25-10, 09:51 PM
Hi everyone. This is a long one. I had a weird experience trying to buy a car this week and wanted to get some opinions on it.

I've been searching for a late-model Ford product for the past couple months. I'm a car enthusiast and I know exactly what I'm looking for and what it's worth.

Finally, I find one at a Toyota dealer hundreds of miles from where I live. The car has the options I want and is well priced. So I offer full asking, subject to a mechanical inspection by a nearby Ford dealer and they accept. I could have hammered them for $500 or $1000 off, but since I live out of town I needed their help for a few logistical items, so I figured full asking price was fair enough.

The salesman happily takes it to a nearby Ford dealer who performs an inspection. The car checks out beautifully, except a few things. First, it was advertised as a pearl white but turned out to be a flat white, not a deal-breaker. Second, there was some small body damage on the lower front bumper, the kind of thing a touch-up guy could fix. But third, the rims were severely scratched and looked horrible. They had to be replaced or re-done.

I mention this to the salesman and he says his manager willl check with their rim guy to see about refinishing. The next morning I write him a note saying I was disappointed with the inspection and him getting the color wrong and missing the damaged rims. But that I'll take the car... on condition that they fix the rims and body damage. I also add that I live far away and will need detailed pics of the fixes before I close the deal. Lastly, I offer that if they prefer, they can take $1500 off the price and I'll take it as-is and get this all fixed in my own town.

Very promptly I get a blackberry message back from the salesman. Exact email is "I had to get down on my hands and knees to see the scratches on the wheels good luck with your search for the perfect used car. I will arrange to credit your deposit when I get in Friday"

WTH? At first I thought to myself go F yourself buddy good luck finding someone who will pay full asking with those damaged rims. But I held back and politely said no problem I've found perfect used cars before and I'll find one again.

What do you guys figure? I am an a-hole here? Or him? Or do you think he just misunderstood?? I would especially appreciate any opinions from any sales guys out there.

Stingroo
11-25-10, 10:11 PM
He's a sleazeball. I'd have told him good luck finding a customer willing to take it in the ass for the sake of his commission check. However, I have a short temper.

I'd contact again and say your offer still stands in a few weeks, if you don't find another one before then.

Destroyer
11-25-10, 11:33 PM
Hi everyone. This is a long one. I had a weird experience trying to buy a car this week and wanted to get some opinions on it.

I've been searching for a late-model Ford product for the past couple months. I'm a car enthusiast and I know exactly what I'm looking for and what it's worth.

Finally, I find one at a Toyota dealer hundreds of miles from where I live. The car has the options I want and is well priced. So I offer full asking, subject to a mechanical inspection by a nearby Ford dealer and they accept. I could have hammered them for $500 or $1000 off, but since I live out of town I needed their help for a few logistical items, so I figured full asking price was fair enough.

The salesman happily takes it to a nearby Ford dealer who performs an inspection. The car checks out beautifully, except a few things. First, it was advertised as a pearl white but turned out to be a flat white, not a deal-breaker. Second, there was some small body damage on the lower front bumper, the kind of thing a touch-up guy could fix. But third, the rims were severely scratched and looked horrible. They had to be replaced or re-done.

I mention this to the salesman and he says his manager willl check with their rim guy to see about refinishing. The next morning I write him a note saying I was disappointed with the inspection and him getting the color wrong and missing the damaged rims. But that I'll take the car... on condition that they fix the rims and body damage. I also add that I live far away and will need detailed pics of the fixes before I close the deal. Lastly, I offer that if they prefer, they can take $1500 off the price and I'll take it as-is and get this all fixed in my own town.

Very promptly I get a blackberry message back from the salesman. Exact email is "I had to get down on my hands and knees to see the scratches on the wheels good luck with your search for the perfect used car. I will arrange to credit your deposit when I get in Friday"

WTH? At first I thought to myself go F yourself buddy good luck finding someone who will pay full asking with those damaged rims. But I held back and politely said no problem I've found perfect used cars before and I'll find one again.

What do you guys figure? I am an a-hole here? Or him? Or do you think he just misunderstood?? I would especially appreciate any opinions from any sales guys out there.

I would have simply haggled and lowered the price to begin with. You didn't need a mechanical inspection to see the wheels had damage and that it needed minor body work.

Stingroo
11-25-10, 11:35 PM
I'm thinking maybe in the photos he couldn't see the body damage on it? In that case the inspection was justified.

mharker
11-25-10, 11:58 PM
I would have simply haggled and lowered the price to begin with. You didn't need a mechanical inspection to see the wheels had damage and that it needed minor body work.

I never saw the car in person. There was one pic of one wheel on the dealer web site and it looked fine. But the service advisor sent me pics of the wheels and all four had damage, some really bad. As for the body work it was barely noticeable on the website pic and I didn't see it. Frankly if they said we'll do the rims you do the body I would have probably went for it. But they blew me off.

EChas3
11-26-10, 12:12 AM
It's your money. That car sits there costing them money. Let it cost them more.

orconn
11-26-10, 12:42 AM
The person you were dealing with seems to be very inexperienced, or just plain stupid. To cut off the negotiation at that point was foolish as obviously you were very interested in the Lincoln and had already sent a deposit and paid for an inspection. If it were me I would continue my search and await a call from the dealer, if none came before I found another car I'd continue looking .... closer to home!

gdwriter
11-26-10, 02:35 AM
It's your money. That car sits there costing them money. Let it cost them more.:yeah:

I have walked away when salesmen or dealers start acting dickish with me and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. I actually made a scene in the middle of the showroom once when a salesman clearly lied to me. :rofl:

dkozloski
11-26-10, 03:28 AM
The salesman may have had a bad day with a run of tire kickers wasting his time. These things can add up to him blowing a gasket at the next PIA customer.

C&C
11-26-10, 05:06 AM
Perhaps another buyer came by and expressed interest (if your deal fell through); walk away, there is always another deal out there somewhere. And I wouldn't be too surprised if you get a counter deal/offer before he refunds your deposit (in case there wasn't another buyer).

Playdrv4me
11-26-10, 05:07 AM
I'm REALLY surprised that you were treated this way with a FULL PRICE offer on a vehicle that they SURELY bought on the cheap. No Toyota dealer is going to OVER pay for a Town Car that's for sure.

That being said, I have to be honest with you, these are the types of things that you have to just learn to overlook on a distant purchase. Destroyer hit the nail absolutely on the head. When I find a vehicle far away that is the precise car I am looking for I set very few, but very important criteria about the car OVERALL. For example, I would ask if a particular vehicle has had any paintwork, I would get a feeling for the type of establishment selling the car (I tend to give a little more leeway to franchise dealers, though that is certainly not GENERAL advice all the time), I would only purchase with reasonably detailed photos of all angles, and I would obtain a history report. If all of that checks out, THEN I send an email with my best price offer. If it is accepted, great. If not I'm OK with haggling til we arrive at a conclusion and if they refuse to deal that's fine too... all I have to do is go click around some more (and they know this). I try to be a hard negotiator, and I almost walked out on the Expedition we got over 100.00 at 9PM. The salesguy (a new guy, I felt bad for him) stayed late and was obviously deflated, and the sales manager was downright flustered. Finally they just relented and let me have it. I generally don't let it go that far if it's a car I REALLY want or that is hard to find, but this was not a car we HAD to have (it was just filling a void for my Mom) so I really didn't care. I had a target that I had reiterated to them SEVERAL times via email and over the phone, and if they didn't meet it, it meant I got to go find something else I might like even better.

Now, after ALL of that, if I had made a solid offer and that offer had been accepted, I probably would have overlooked those wheels and the minor bumper damage understanding that in the end, I got my deal and these things can be corrected later... so long as it is not paintwork that was undisclosed, or some other major fault with the car.

77CDV
11-26-10, 03:04 PM
Your biggest mistake was even hinting you wanted the car enough to offer full price. Now the dealer is playing mind games. Walk away. I'll lay odds that if they don't hear from you in a couple days, you'll be hearing from them.

AElayyat
11-26-10, 05:23 PM
I would suggest you stay away from that dealer. From my experience, patience pays off. Hold off until you find the right truck at a near by dealer that way you can inspect it in person.

Also, NEVER give a dealer full asking price, they have room to negotiate.

Good luck with your search.

Destroyer
11-27-10, 12:29 AM
I never saw the car in person. There was one pic of one wheel on the dealer web site and it looked fine. But the service advisor sent me pics of the wheels and all four had damage, some really bad. As for the body work it was barely noticeable on the website pic and I didn't see it. Frankly if they said we'll do the rims you do the body I would have probably went for it. But they blew me off.

Oh ok. Still, you made an offer and they declined. To hell with them, you will find another.

blue07cts
11-27-10, 03:09 PM
I personally would call the sales manager or general manager and send him copies of both your email,the wheels picture's and the salesperson's response. I believe in giving everyone a chance to correct a mistake. I don't feel you were being unreasonable at all and that th salesman was just an ass who is more concerned with quick easy sales than actually WORKING for his customer.

mharker
11-27-10, 05:23 PM
Hi again everyone. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

Well as some of you predicted... the sales manager did call me back couple days later asking what they could do to make it right. He offered $500 off instead of the $1500 I suggested, and I do my own fixes.

So I did a bit of research and turns out I can get those wheels re-done locally for around $500, so I'd rather that then risk whoever they would get. And the bumper can prolly be done by a touch up guy or just ignored. So I agreed to the $500 off.

Good comments about the offering full asking which put me in a bad negotiating position. But I had missed several of these in a row... it was well priced. I'm happy with my deal and will post pics when I get the car. $15.5 for a 2006 TC Signature Limited, 44,000 miles. Did its first few years in Texas too.

I'm going to fly with my 8yo son on a "guy trip" to Chicago to get the car! Check out the Sears Tower, maybe a steak house, and drive home!

orconn
11-27-10, 07:28 PM
Congratulations! That "guy trip" to the Windy City to pick up a new car will be great memory for you both. I was 7 years old when I went with my Dad to Hollywood (CA) to pick up a new Packard. I still remember the day, and the fact the I got to do "real guy stuff" (for me a new car was the ultimate of things that could happen) with just my Dad for the first time!

billc83
11-27-10, 07:52 PM
Great news! You and your kid will look back fondly on this trip for years to come!

77CDV
11-27-10, 09:47 PM
Excellent news! Enjoy the trip and enjoy your new-to-you TC!

AElayyat
11-28-10, 03:33 PM
Congrats on the Town Car, enjoy!