: Tranny wont go into any gear, it worked fine when I parked it.

csbuckn
11-25-10, 08:19 PM
So the th400 behind the caddy 500 wont go into any gear. I parked it about a week ago when the weather was around 40/50 degrees, now the weather is 20s and its the first time I go to start it up in the low temps. Throw it into gear and nothing. No reverse or drive, I have park but all other gears act like neutral. I can see the tranny linkage move it into gear but I get nothing. This tranny was rebuilt about a month ago at a respectable shop and I havent had any problems. The fluid is still good as new and at the right level and the vacuum line is still hooked up. Any ideas?

jayoldschool
11-25-10, 10:03 PM
From the ISSF, and for 4L60Es, but will still apply:

Loss of all gears: either no fluid or broken pump. Check for broken pump by checking fluid level with engine off, then start engine and check fluid level again. If no change in fluid level, then either the pump is bad or the filter fell off (if you have a deep pan and didn't setup the filter accordingly). Also, check your shift linkage.

albymangled
11-25-10, 10:03 PM
"I can see the tranny linkage move it into gear"

to clarify....you can actually see the linkage on the side of the tranny moving?

not just the other end of the linkage where it comes thru the firewall?

if so and considering it was only rebuilt a month ago I'd give the shop a ring before doing much else...

sven914
11-26-10, 01:07 AM
Aside from some unnoticeable fluid flow differences, park and neutral are the same gear. The main difference is that in Park, the Parking Pawl is engaged by the manual linkage. Being that the Pawl disengages and allows the transmission to enter the Neutral range, there probably isn't anything wrong with the linkage. Your issue is in the hydraulic side of the transmission.

If it turns out that the pump and filter are working, I would check into something being wrong with the Manual valve, which directs fluid pressure to the individual gear ranges as selected.

csbuckn
11-26-10, 01:16 AM
Okay, so I'll check for line pressure. I hope its an easy fix.

albymangled
11-26-10, 03:06 AM
No warranty to fall back on then?

csbuckn
11-26-10, 09:54 AM
Yea, its got a year

csbuckn
11-27-10, 05:05 PM
No line pressure, put another quart in and it went into gear. I'm starting not to like this deep pan cause I dont know how much to put in.

jayoldschool
11-27-10, 10:29 PM
The full line is the same on the dip stick, no matter how deep the pan.

csbuckn
11-28-10, 12:22 AM
Yea, but it wasnt accurate when I first got it and it wasnt right after the build either. Maybe I have to get a filter extender for it to be accurate but I'm looking for a stock replacement. Also need a different tranny mount to get the drivetrain angle lower.

deVille33
11-28-10, 08:12 AM
There is a stock extension for this application. Deep pans were used on 400's used on heavy pick-ups.

csbuckn
11-28-10, 11:39 AM
Thanks, ill look for one.

deVille33
11-30-10, 11:58 AM
The part I mentioned is described as a Pipe, oil intake in the parts manual in the tranmission section 4.197 part # 8629526. You may find it at a GMC dealer also.

csbuckn
11-30-10, 06:58 PM
perfect, found it with that number...$5