: SRX4 "Service Rear Axle" Warning Message

jpcork40
11-24-10, 04:48 PM
Any other 2010 AWD owners out there have the above message come on the display?
I have appointment at the dealer in a week ( yep a week ), but the owners manual says it's an issue with rear axle, and until resolved the AWD feature is disabled.
Just curious if others might have gone through this and what the problem and solution was. We had our first snowfall last night, perfect timing for the AWD feature not to work..........

Razorecko
11-24-10, 05:14 PM
Cadillac is horrendous with not properly filling their vehicles with the right amount of fluid from the factory. I hope you weren't one of those that had almost no fluid in their rear diff. If this is the case that comes to be than I would push for full documentation in case there is a break down in the future somewhere in the drivetrain.

Razorecko
11-24-10, 05:50 PM
an example...

And this is for the high performance CTS-V !

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/181872-rear-end-fluid-change-not-happy.html

TheCaptain
11-24-10, 07:47 PM
Actually, there was a bulletin out for this on many AWD models early in the build process. It regarded a too small of filter for the rear end fluid. That was all. Provided it is the same thing again, you should be fine.

Here's the link to the previous thread. Service Rear Axle (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/187596-dic-service-rear-axle-message.html?highlight=service+rear+axle)

Interesting note, both my Premium, and another lady's Premium, both specially ordered from the same dealer, arrived within days of each other, only one having this problem. Mine was ok, but the other Premium AWD model got this message shortly after receiving hers, even though mine was built before hers... :hmm:

sube5186
11-24-10, 08:06 PM
Any other 2010 AWD owners out there have the above message come on the display?
I have appointment at the dealer in a week ( yep a week ), but the owners manual says it's an issue with rear axle, and until resolved the AWD feature is disabled.
Just curious if others might have gone through this and what the problem and solution was. We had our first snowfall last night, perfect timing for the AWD feature not to work..........

Very early on in this forum a few people posted of the same message on the DIC. Their problem was the filter in the rear differential was clogged. Seemed that early models used a filter that was prone to premature clogging. It's my understanding that they've since redesigned this filter, which remedied the problem. If you're getting this message, you may have the earlier filter design. Funny thing is, I went months waiting for this message to display. It's been over a year now and still no message. I guess I must have the newer designed filter.

If the oil in the rear diff was low, this message would also display, thus preventing any damage from driving with a dangerously low level. Being that the CTS doesn't have a DIC, they wouldn't get a similar warning. Just FYI the DIC displays a lot more than just tire pressure, trip mileage, etc. It gives you about 80 different warning messages/info screens. Here's the full list:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/198834-dic-plethora-messages.html

Sube

sube5186
11-24-10, 08:09 PM
Capt slipped in there while I was still composing my post. By the time I clicked "submit", he'd already beat me to the punch. Next time I'll have to be quicker on the draw. ;)

Sube

Smokin' SRX
11-25-10, 09:18 AM
Great info all. I also, never got the "Service rear axle" message on my AWD sled....and I ain't no tender-foot. LOL

Hey Sube, am amazing list of warnings, this sled boasts, but I didn't see the "Auto Sense Wipers" on that list. I always look for this before entering a car wash! It's very simple to accidentally activate via wiper stalk switch.

Razorecko, the BMW is a great car for safety also, but my friend takes a ribbing, everytime I see him , as his 2010, 528XI has NO COMPASS, even on the Nav system, and he is always lost. Dealer says newly revised 2011 model doesn't have either. Go figure. Nobody's perfect....

SS

sube5186
11-25-10, 10:21 AM
Sube, an amazing list of warnings, this sled boasts, but I didn't see the "Auto Sense Wipers" on that list. I always look for this before entering a car wash! It's very simple to accidentally activate via wiper stalk switch.

Must have missed that one. I read on the GM TechLink site that the SRX shuts off the wipers even when in rain sense mode with water striking the windshield WHENEVER THE TRANS IS IN NEUTRAL. If this scenario occurs, the car assumes you're in a carwash. Pretty clever, huh.

Sube

jpcork40
11-25-10, 08:22 PM
Thanks everyone, hopefully it's just the filter or fluid level. If it's anything different, I will post the cure. First problem since we got the vehicle in May.

KevinOpp
11-28-10, 08:25 PM
it happened to me the day i took possession of the car. it was indeed the wrong filter on the rear, which was eventually replaced. but just so you know--they told me the car automatically disconnected the rear wheel drive throughout that period so as not to cause any damage, so you're in FWD at all times. also, i was doing no harm to the car by driving it in that condition.

zinner
07-15-12, 04:14 PM
My 2010 2.8T AWD SRX just popped this message at 14k miles.

miamictsv
01-27-14, 12:42 PM
My wife's 2013 AWD SRX Performance just displayed the same message. At the Dealer at this time.

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-29-14, 02:25 PM
My wife's 2013 AWD SRX Performance just displayed the same message. At the Dealer at this time.

Hello miamictsv,

Please let me know after you hear back from your dealership. I would appreciate to be updated on the outcome of your situation. If you would like to further discuss any concerns or questions you may have, don't hesitate to send me a private message so I can assist.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

miamictsv
01-30-14, 11:03 AM
Thank you Laura,

They cleared the codes on Monday and gave me the car back. Sure enough yesterday the car displayed the same messages again. The car is back at the dealership today.
Hopefully this time it can be fixed for good. So far my experience with Cadillac vehicles have been pour. Owner of 2009 CTS-V since 2010 ( at least 10 times at the dealership under warranty ) and new 2013 SRX4 ( 3 times at the dealership under warranty ) and counting.

Hello miamictsv,

Please let me know after you hear back from your dealership. I would appreciate to be updated on the outcome of your situation. If you would like to further discuss any concerns or questions you may have, don't hesitate to send me a private message so I can assist.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

Cadillac Cust Svc
01-30-14, 11:56 AM
Thank you Laura,

They cleared the codes on Monday and gave me the car back. Sure enough yesterday the car displayed the same messages again. The car is back at the dealership today.
Hopefully this time it can be fixed for good. So far my experience with Cadillac vehicles have been pour. Owner of 2009 CTS-V since 2010 ( at least 10 times at the dealership under warranty ) and new 2013 SRX4 ( 3 times at the dealership under warranty ) and counting.

Hello miamictsv,

You are welcome. I understand how multiple trips to the dealership is frustrating to deal with and I apologize for any inconvenience. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation, so please send me a private message that includes your full contact information, the dealership name and location and the VIN for both Cadillac vehicles and their mileage.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

miamictsv
02-05-14, 11:12 AM
Rear Axel Control Module was the issue with my 2013SRX. Replaced and working fine so far.