: Car Storage

GeneLaw1
11-24-10, 02:59 PM
Have a few question guys...it has come to the point in time where one of my car is losing its garage spot because Mom wants to put her cars in there...no worries, it is her house after all, so I will be moving my car out which needs tires (VERY badly) and I cant drive it far, just roll it around every now and then in the neighborhood at low speeds. Hopefully I will be able to afford them soon. My question:

1. I thought about putting the car in my backyard and covering it up, to try to protect it best from the elements. How does this sound? Can anyone suggest a good car cover? I have a lot of sound equipment and other amenities in the car, which I may take out if it will be outside....you cant own anything nice around Atlanta I tell ya...

2. I also considered off-site storage and one of those storage places (like Storage USA), not sure about the expense there, but I am considering it an option?

Any suggestions?
Cheers,
Gene

sven914
11-24-10, 03:17 PM
To store the car outside you need a waterproof car cover. Otherwise moisture can seep in and cause corrosion and if the temperature drops, the cover will freeze to the paint and can damage it.

albymangled
11-24-10, 05:10 PM
Maybe think about selling one of the cars and use the money to improve the other?

Or to finance a road trip in the other?

jcolliga40
11-24-10, 05:13 PM
Buy one of those portable car garages and make sure you secure it very well. Also put down a tarp under it and plywood ontop of the tarp. That's how mine is now but its also on Jack stand with the battery removed. If you have the money the best would be a heated storage unit. But idk how much those go for.

creeker
11-24-10, 05:46 PM
To store the car outside you need a waterproof car cover. Otherwise moisture can seep in and cause corrosion and if the temperature drops, the cover will freeze to the paint and can damage it.

Wouldn't an air tight cover also cause condensation in the car ?.

jayoldschool
11-24-10, 06:01 PM
It has to be on a hard surface. If it is on grass/dirt/gravel, it will rust like crazy on the bottom.

sven914
11-24-10, 06:16 PM
Wouldn't an air tight cover also cause condensation in the car ?.

That's one of the problems I've heard with the waterproof ones; they trap the condensation under them. But I can't imagine that the trapped condensation would get that bad. Its got to be better than leaving a soggy cover on your car for the winter.

Bro-Ham
11-24-10, 06:53 PM
Gene, I vote for renting a storage unit. Your car will be much happier being in a garage. :)

creeker
11-24-10, 08:51 PM
That's one of the problems I've heard with the waterproof ones; they trap the condensation under them. But I can't imagine that the trapped condensation would get that bad. Its got to be better than leaving a soggy cover on your car for the winter.

I actually meant condensation in the inside of the car, not just between tarp and exterior of car.

sven914
11-24-10, 10:13 PM
^I've never heard anything about that.

GeneLaw1
11-24-10, 11:52 PM
@Dave, as I have been looking around I wont afford to be able to afford the storage at this very moment, so its going to have to go in the backyard! :-(
@Jay, the car will be in the backyard, but it will be on a concrete slab!
@Jcolliga, I def wont be able to afford that right now, but I def like the idea.
@Albymangled, cant sell it! Thats my baby! My first car, it has a special place in my heart, lol.
@Sven, I like the idea, i looked into them, they are not too bad pricewise.

brougham
11-25-10, 07:35 PM
Any breatable car cover will work for what you want. Just keep the snow brushed off it. You could also just leave it with no cover and throw something over the interior and a sunshade in the windshield. Best is to find a place to store it. A couple hundred bucks and it wont be in the way and you don't have to worry about it till the spring.