: DRLs, Twilight Sentinel, AIR Injection and a Duh! Moment

turbojimmy
11-24-10, 12:52 PM
All these things should probably separate threads, but I didn't want to pollute the forum with a bunch of useless threads. Rather, I've started one useless thread.

First, what year did they start with the DRLs on the Fleetwoods? I know I'm supposed to have them, but I don't. Fuse is good and I can see the module up by the brake pedal is plugged in. Any common problems? I wonder if they were disabled somehow for the funeral home use?

Second, today the car decided that it's dark outside all the time. Headlights (not DRLs) were on all the time. Evidently the photoelectric sensor that detects light/dark was lonely. I pulled it out of its socket, plugged it back in and everything was fine again. If you have this problem, show your photoelectric sensor some love.

Third, if you have a '96 the dealer can eliminate your Secondary AIR injection system. It was determined long ago that the LT1 meets federal emissions standards without the Secondary AIR injection. So, when your pump fills with water and stops working (it will), have the dealer bypass it. Removal of that stuff also cleans up the engine bay quite a bit. When removing mine, I noticed that a wire loom for the ignition wires was attached to the metal AIR tube. I removed the loom from the tube and bolted it back in place. I went to Home Depot and got some 7/16" pipe caps. Sealed up nicely:

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/caddy_rh_header.jpg

Last, if the torx head on your headlight adjuster is stripped (like mine) do not remove your headlight in an attempt to dremel a cut into it so you can use a flat-blade screwdriver to adjust it. You may break your cornering lamp (like I did) and waste 30 minutes of your life that you will never get back. Instead, look directly behind the stripped torx head and find a hex head on the other end of it. Duh.

This been My Day With the 'Wood.

csbuckn
11-24-10, 01:28 PM
Nice. I think I heard the DRLs were not part of the commercial chassis.

turbojimmy
11-24-10, 02:26 PM
Nice. I think I heard the DRLs were not part of the commercial chassis.

I guess you're right - I don't have the RPO (T61). I'm pretty sure the fuse and module are there. I don't care that I don't have it, but if I did I'd want it to work.

Thanks!