: Alignment w/ new tires

bizzob223
11-24-10, 12:10 PM
I am getting some new tires on today and I am going to get an alignment because the steering wheel is off center when driving down the road. The tire place mentioned I needed a alignment cam adjustment kit for the small fee of $125. Is this necessary? Or can they do just the toe in and I would be fine. I dont want to ruin my new tires.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

nathanjax
11-24-10, 01:48 PM
When I had my alignment done, it was just the normal price ($75)... They didn't say anything about any kit or tools.

I'd say they're trying to get some extra $ from you.

Ask them what's in this "kit". My fathers a mechanic so I can call him and ask him more about if you can find that info out.

bizzob223
11-25-10, 08:02 AM
The kit is for setting the camber/caster. But from what I hear you don't need anything special to just set to toe in.

Thanks for your help

Bob

nathanjax
11-25-10, 08:52 AM
The kit is for setting the camber/caster. But from what I hear you don't need anything special to just set to toe in.

Thanks for your help

Bob

You can go almost an inch without getting those. These are probably what he's trying to sell you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/nathanjax/04 Escalade/DIY Misc/photo.jpg

They bolt into your upper a-arms. I have a set of 4 SPC camber adjusters I ended up not using them, so I have all 4 brand new if you or anyone wants them. I'll sell them for $70 shipped.
They are $50 a side anywhere you get them from. Google SPC 86350..

http://www.spcalignment.com/PROD_DIR/SPC_PROD_SEARCH_DYN.cfm?cmd=Cam&cmd2=86350&cmd3=

bizzob223
11-25-10, 09:51 AM
Well I am gonna take it to a different shop tomorrow to have them throw it on the alignment rack and do a full brake job front and back. Hopefully I wont need them. The truck tracks straighter already with the new tires so hopefully just set the toe and straighten the steering wheel and hopefully we should be good to go.

Thanks again

Happy Thanksgiving

Bob