: Brake lights - LED strip, DTS

Mark58
11-23-10, 06:46 PM
Following my wife I noticed that some brake lights were out. These are the ones on top of trunk,long strip. On left side there are 4 or 5 out and right side 2 were out.Are these easy to replace?
Thanks

Superjim
11-23-10, 07:27 PM
Following my wife I noticed that some brake lights were out. These are the ones on top of trunk,long strip. On left side there are 4 or 5 out and right side 2 were out.Are these easy to replace?
Thanks

If it is still under warranty...that is covered.
Mine was replaced under warranty.

I have heard that the individual bulbs are not replaceable.
You have to replace the entire light assembly.
But I am not totally sure about that.

Texas Jim

Mark58
11-23-10, 08:22 PM
If it is still under warranty...that is covered.
Mine was replaced under warranty.

I have heard that the individual bulbs are not replaceable.
You have to replace the entire light assembly.
But I am not totally sure about that.

Texas Jim
Thanks,
Yes it's under warranty for 5 more yrs. Was not sure if that was covered? I know headlight bulbs are not covered as I was told.

Superjim
11-23-10, 10:37 PM
Thanks,
Yes it's under warranty for 5 more yrs. Was not sure if that was covered? I know headlight bulbs are not covered as I was told.

I meant the factory 4year/50,000 mile warranty.
It will be covered under "THAT"
I do not know about CPO.
GMPP does not cover bulbs.

I think there was a TSB on the trunk mounted light getting hairline cracks in it.

tedcmiller
11-24-10, 07:04 PM
The brake lights on 2007 DTS are LEDs, not bulbs. To the best of my knowlege, all brake light units, including the trunk mount unit, must be replaced as a unit. Replacement of individual LEDs is not an option.

DevilleDeeman
11-25-10, 03:29 PM
$120 at newgmparts.com for the Led trunk mount light.

djohnson56
05-08-17, 10:08 AM
I have a 2006 DTS and about 5 of those lights are out. I have same question, can you just purchase the strip with the bulbs or do you have to purchase the whole unit, which runs about $250?

ddalder
05-08-17, 03:04 PM
You can't purchase parts for this assembly (from GM). You can try to cut the plastic assembly open, locate the problem (likely corrosion on the circuit board(s) or bad solder joints and not the LED's themselves) and try to repair it. Unless you are skilled at this, it's not really an option. Even if you get that far into it, the plastic housing probably has numerous small cracks along its entire length which will put you right back in the same position down the road when more moisture gets in.

LED's as a discreet component have a very high MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) unless subjected to events such as overvoltage or power spikes. They should last literally several times the expected life of the entire vehicle.

Submariner409
05-08-17, 03:38 PM
Take a look at www.ledfix.com (http://www.ledfix.com).

Logan is an old CF member............ he knows what does and does not work.

If he doesn't list it as repairable it's new light bar time.

ddalder
05-08-17, 03:50 PM
That looks like a potentially good option. Personally, I don't recommend this as a DIY project for anyone inexperienced with electronics or working with plastics. To purchase a professionally rebuilt unit seems quite reasonable. There is some degree of confidence that all aspects of the fault will have been addressed.

Omac
05-08-17, 10:21 PM
The problem with our third brake light is they get fine cracks that overtime allow water to get in and corrode the leds. I had mine replaced under warranty twice. This last one is still working but I see I have 3 cracks in the plastic so I'm on borrowed time. The lights are still available new but it's pricy at over $200. Getting the leds repaired with the cracks is a temporary fix unfortunately. I plan on buying the light while they are still available and keep it until my current light stops working.

djohnson56
05-11-17, 10:11 AM
I checked out that website and they told me the only option is to replace the entire unit. I have a 2006 DTS and the cost runs somewhere around $220-250

ddalder
05-11-17, 11:23 AM
Because of the number of fine cracks that develop in the plastic of the DTS assemblies, I guess I'm not surprised to hear this. It would be difficult for them to work around that. When I first read about it, I thought perhaps they had found some sort of adhesive/sealant to apply to the inside that would solve this. GM selected a very poor location to attach these and I suspect it's the primary reason these fail so frequently.

I no longer close the trunk by pulling it down on the from the top of the trunk lid. I believe the repeated pressure on the CHMSL is what leads to most, if not all of the cracks that develop.

5x10
05-12-17, 12:44 AM
Will super gluing the cracks help delay the lights burning out due to moisture?

Omac
05-12-17, 09:17 PM
Will super gluing the cracks help delay the lights burning out due to moisture?

Can't hurt. keeping out the moisture these LEDs should last 20 years or more.

markdaft
05-27-17, 10:41 PM
I believe ddalder is 100% correct. In my opinion, the current rear high-mount light is a design flaw. If you look at the previous DTS generation, that light bar is protected by the metal of the trunk lid. Hence, you see very few that have missing lights. I always close the trunk lid by the bottom trim piece, or to the side of the light bar, never push directly on the light bar.

Submariner409
05-28-17, 12:58 PM
In general, the LED light bars are a cutey, techy way to include the "high mount brake light" requirement. BUT, if you go back to Seville/Eldorado/Deville Day One in these forums you'll see that they have been a problem from the very beginning. Water leaks and burned out segments.

Logan Diagnostics (Post 9) was doing a roaring business through the 00s - Seville (and other Cadillac) LED bars were about as reliable as an egg on a railroad track, then GM changed the plastic and sealants in ?? 2000 or 2001 ?? and things got better. But those light bars were repairable.